Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Indeed, they reached the apex of saberfaces with Okita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Just saw Heaven's Feel in theatres. Holy poo poo what a fantastic adaptation. Probably Ufotable's best work yet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Saw Heaven's Feel, I feel like I'll probably enjoy it more at home, the theatre was obnoxiously loud, like I probably got some hearing loss from how loud it was during the action sequences.

I really liked Saber vs Medusa and then Medusa vs Assassin.

Also there were people constantly talking behind me and someone was for literally two/thirds of the movie was ruffling a bag of chips or candy or something and it was incredibly distracting and he wasn't even near me. I don't think I've ever been as annoyed watching a film.

RevolverDivider posted:

Just saw Heaven's Feel in theatres. Holy poo poo what a fantastic adaptation. Probably Ufotable's best work yet.

Were you in also in Montreal? :crossarms:

That better not have been you! :mad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I am coming back from seeing it in Montreal!

My boy Cursed-Arm Sensei made a strong showing, and Taiga remains the best.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
poo poo was pretty great (also in Montreal). Really appreciated Lancer's "I'm so done with this poo poo" expression.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also there were people constantly talking behind me and someone was for literally two/thirds of the movie was ruffling a bag of chips or candy or something and it was incredibly distracting and he wasn't even near me. I don't think I've ever been as annoyed watching a film.
I apologize on behalf of my buddies if it was them (idk, I wasn't sitting with them)

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 15, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Saw it in Windsor. Counted like 8 people playing FGO before movie started.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does FGO or anything else ever explain saberfaces

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Does FGO or anything else ever explain saberfaces
mordred: arturia's child
nero: 'common origin' (read: not really)
jeanne: they just have similar looking faces
okita: exists solely for a punchline in a gag comic, but then fgo happened and they had to be a character

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jeanne is the obvious guess for Saber's identity and F/Z turned that into a joke by having Caster get confused.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Short answer: Merlin is a dick wizard

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I was in Halifax. Theater also had a couple idiots behind me talking and laughing the entire movie.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought one stupid explanation was all Saberface are descendants of Venus?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's more like Nero is a descendant of Venus and Jeanne and Arturia are distant descendants of Nero. Okita's just Okita though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the saberface is just the pinnacle of beauty

there is only one summit

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
But Gil and Quetz have the highest Charisma...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Endorph posted:

okita: exists solely for a punchline in a gag comic, but then fgo happened and they had to be a character

Apparently there is some historical anecdotes of intermittent contact between China and Rome in the late BC and early AD. A couple of diplomatic envoys (or at least claims of being such) from Roman Emperors, a fair amount of Roman artifacts in places they wouldn't be expected even with trade, and an interesting anecdote about a contingent of Roman POWs enslaved by a warlord in modern-day Kazakhstan fighting against a Han Dynasty army, being captured and going on to settle the village of Liqian. Little if any hard evidence backs these stories up, but it does create some thread for contact between Rome and the Far East.

Also in 2016 some Roman coins from 3 or 400AD were found in a castle in Osaka. So there's that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
George Washington is going to be the next saberface, but this time the twist will be they're a decedent of Mordred as part of Morgan le Fey's long con "gently caress everything Artoria stands for" plan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that would require mordred to gently caress which would require her not to be a dork

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jeanne is the obvious guess for Saber's identity and F/Z turned that into a joke by having Caster get confused.

He didn't get confused, he just believed Seiba to be the reincarnation of Jeanne (let's ignore the timing issues there) on account of their shared traits. It's worth noting his lines have him rejecting the idea of Mordred or Nero being Jeanne because they're too uncouth/showy/etc. even though it's literally the same face.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

that would require mordred to gently caress which would require her not to be a dork
Mordred's characterization has consistently been drunk trailer park woman. Having a kid or two that she shouts at all the time would be perfectly in keeping.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The explanation for saberfaces is simple: Takeuchi's evolved to only draw that one face.

IIRC he didn't design Nero, though, so she looks like Saber because they were either too lazy or not creative enough to stick a different face on their first spinoff.

(Nero's a fine character but they shoulda just given her a different hairstyle or something.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

The explanation for saberfaces is simple: Takeuchi's evolved to only draw that one face.

IIRC he didn't design Nero, though, so she looks like Saber because they were either too lazy or not creative enough to stick a different face on their first spinoff.

(Nero's a fine character but they shoulda just given her a different hairstyle or something.)

She does. It's not all that pronounced but she has hair intakes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
She has a fancier hair bun too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Saber is the most recognizable part of the Fate brand so that design has to be there in some form.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the servant identities thing was still kind of a big deal when Extra came out, and there weren't 69 saberfaces. Nero looked like Saber because she was supposed to lull players into thinking, "Oh, it's Saber, I know her" and pick up the game, and then, surprise!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Argas posted:

She does. It's not all that pronounced but she has hair intakes.

They’ve gotten way more pronounced after the original Extra, though when when Takeuchi draws her he doesn’t do the hair intakes at all

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Everyone loves Nero more than arturia now.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I don't. She is the worst Saber-face. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Umu

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Posited: refuted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdv9S-VTjk

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
since we have swimsuit nero i submit to the court that this evidence is out of date

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I don't. She is the worst Saber-face. :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nero might be the best saberface but she isn't the best extra servant

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cheetah7071 posted:

Nero might be the best saberface but she isn't the best extra servant

Yeah, Hans is the best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

dickbutt version tia

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Holy poo poo I saw Heaven's Feel today and I have no idea where it's heading. I watched F/Z and F/SN but I haven't played the visual novel. Real Assassin appearing got an audible :wtf: out of me and I lost the thread. But Lancer vs Assassin might be my favourite of the series and it was cool to see servant's resistances/abilities actually come into play this time.

Thank god part 2 comes out this year.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

y'all don't speak for me

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shneak posted:

Holy poo poo I saw Heaven's Feel today and I have no idea where it's heading. I watched F/Z and F/SN but I haven't played the visual novel. Real Assassin appearing got an audible :wtf: out of me and I lost the thread. But Lancer vs Assassin might be my favourite of the series and it was cool to see servant's resistances/abilities actually come into play this time.

My favorite fight in the series happens during a Bad End and therefore sadly won't be animated.

The next best three will all happen during part 3 :fsn:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Blockhouse posted:

y'all don't speak for me

The hell we don’t! Accept your umu overlord!