Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Everything's canon. This isn't Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Fate/Extra ~Last Encore~ is much better if you’ve played the original F/E. It may not be god tier quality, but I enjoyed it. And it is a better binge than F/Z.

I haven’t followed Prisma at all except watching that one scene where she turns into Archer and nukes Saber Alter. So I’m guessing Oath Under the Snow is some OAV branching off Prisma?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

while i haven't watched Oath Under Snow yet, i can pretty much tell you right off the bat it's not actually stand-alone and you need to have at least some familiarity with FSN (and specifically Heaven's Feel) first. the whole reason i was interested in it is because, by all appearances, it's essentially a wonky alternate version of HF that goes about as pear-shaped as humanly possible for Shirou without outright killing him (and, in the process, he gets to turbo-murder a zombie version of the worst character). i was asking about watching it without the rest of Prisma Illya, since Prisma Illya is loving awful (it's a pedobait magical girl spinoff).

there's basically three good starting points for Fate; you've got the VN (obviously), the DEEN anime (which is bad and you shouldn't watch it), and Zero. those are, to my knowledge, the only three parts of the franchise where you're not going to miss something big if you lack outside context; even if all the events logically track without you having any "wait, huh" moments, pretty much every other Fate thing builds on other Fate things thematically and you're gonna miss at least some of the point if you're not familiar.

(starting with Zero is complicated, and while I'd suggest it as your starting point if you're very definitely not going to read the VN, if reading the VN is on the table at all you should do that first. the best way I can put it is, Zero spoils the living gently caress out of the VN version of Heaven's Feel, but doesn't spoil the HF movies, which just kind of assume you already know the relevant twists from either Zero or the VN.)

e: as far as a general "what's the good Fate poo poo" lineup, this is the stuff I can personally rec, in a rough viewing order:

- Fate/stay night VN
- Fate/zero anime
- Unlimited Blade Works anime (NOT the movie, the movie sucks)
- Heaven's Feel movies
- Lord El-Melloi II Case Files (watch anytime after Zero)
- Today's Menu for Emiya Family (non-canon, no real spoilers, but you might want to hold it off until you're familiar with the FSN cast just because it's more fun if you know everybody)
- Carnival Phantasm (non-canon, has spoilers for literally everything including non-Fate TM stuff, watch dead last and probably also read Tsukihime first)

this is stuff other people seem to like, but i can't personally vouch for:

- Fate/extra (PSP game, works fine on PPSSPP afaik)
- Oath Under Snow (you probably wanna hold this off until after Heaven's Feel)
- Fate Grand Order (alternate timeline phone game, from what I gather this has spoilers for the main FSN/Zero stuff scattered around so maybe hold it off)
- Fate/strange fake (light novel series)

this is That poo poo I Don't Like:

- Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, excluding Oath Under Snow (pedobait bullshit, avoid like it's emitting loving cherenkov radiation)
- Fate/apocrypha (pretty and dumb in equal measure, and also has several extremely unfortunate character designs)
- Fate/extra Last Encore (what the gently caress)
Dont read any of this, its all terrible advice that they used way too many words for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For starters declaring stuff 'canon' or 'noncanon' is dumb when the entire thing uses the many worlds theory. Theres three alternate routes for the game, all the spinoffs are their own timeline, etc. What makes cooking less 'canon' than fate/zero? They both have details that make them not fit with f/sn.

This general obsession with the 'right' order is utter poison. Want to know what I got into typemoon with? loving Battle Moon Wars. The fangame that spoils everything abut tsukihime and fsn, is filled with nothing but injokes, and ends with the characters teaming up to fight the mech from idolmaster xenoglossia. And I loved it and I am still into type moon today.

Literally just watch/play what interests you. You're a human being, you can pick up on context. Wanna start with fate/hollow ataraxia or the second heavens feel movie? gently caress it, why not. If its what youre interested in it'll do a better job getting you invested than something you arent interested in but feel like you have to put up with.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 22, 2020

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

AlternateNu posted:

I haven’t followed Prisma at all except watching that one scene where she turns into Archer and nukes Saber Alter. So I’m guessing Oath Under the Snow is some OAV branching off Prisma?

It's the backstory to Mui's Shirou and their universe's version of the Holy Grail War

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh geez that post expanded overnight lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like I can go on youtube right now and see reaction videos of random dudes going YO THIS OWNS!! to the fights in the babylonia anime, an anime based on the second to last chapter of a game with a lot of injokes about rin and gilgamesh. And I don't think blackgoku69247 is intimately familiar with rin's fate/extra ending design or who/what primate murder is.

It's art, not math. It creates its own context as you engage with it. Just do what you feel like you'll enjoy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

Like I can go on youtube right now and see reaction videos of random dudes going YO THIS OWNS!! to the fights in the babylonia anime, an anime based on the second to last chapter of a game with a lot of injokes about rin and gilgamesh. And I don't think blackgoku69247 is intimately familiar with rin's fate/extra ending design or who/what primate murder is.

It's art, not math. It creates its own context as you engage with it. Just do what you feel like you'll enjoy.

So you say, but I feel the Babylonia anime would be a lot better if it wasn't part 7 of an anime that lacked the previous six parts outside of a really terrible infodump prologue episode.

I'm still enjoying it but god I wish they had just adapted this in order instead of doing this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s better to tell people what to expect in each series and let them decide what they want to watch.

For example, fate zero is a epic violent sad fest with child murder.

In contrast, carnival is the funniest poo poo ever as all goon agrees, but it’s a lot better if you have gone through ubw first.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

zero bad

this has been my contribution to the biweekly "what fate watch" discourseTM, thank you

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's not really a good solution to the missing FGO parts problem because yeah you miss context but also a lot of those parts either suck or are fun but would be totally incoherent as shows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, FGO Babylonia works well enough on its own. I mean, I know precious little about the game aside from:
  • The gargantuan success it has met so far.
  • That it has 7 chapters so far.
  • That emulation and trying to get around the region locks has been a complete failure on my end. :negative:
... and I still enjoyed the anime for the most part!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf that's what adaptation is, you could easily squash the events of the first 6 singularities of FGO into like, 2 or 3, taking the best parts of each and spreading them into the singularities with the best premises. Make Fuyuki not suck, combine Orleans and Rome, Okeanos could be done in like 4-5 episodes if you just focused on the parts of it that actually work, do America fairly straight and have Solomon show up at the end of it like he does in London, adapt Camelot straight, adapt Babylonia straight.

But people'd get mad about changes and that'd still be like 26 episodes of work minimum before you get to the parts people actually like, so I get why they went this route.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc babylonia and Camelot are the parts getting adaptations because they literally did a poll of FGO players a couple years back saying "yo what arcs do you want to see animated the most" and those two won out by a pretty large margin.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I tried googling this but couldn't find a good answer. How long is the main story of FGO? I cannot stand gacha games, but I can probably deal with the gameplay if the story is decent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

For starters declaring stuff 'canon' or 'noncanon' is dumb when the entire thing uses the many worlds theory. Theres three alternate routes for the game, all the spinoffs are their own timeline, etc. What makes cooking less 'canon' than fate/zero? They both have details that make them not fit with f/sn.

what makes cooking "less canon" is that nothing is ever going to build off of it unless they make more cooking. it's more accurately a weird little island in the canon that doesn't matter to anything else and will never matter to anything else (and same goes for CF). meanwhile zero is a deliberate jumping-on point for people who haven't touched a VN and aren't going to, and the following ufotable adaptations directly reference it and assume you've seen it.

but explaining the particulars of nasu canon in-depth to someone trying to get into fate is 1) really goddamn stupid and bad, and 2) 95% of why Fate has a rep for making no loving sense because everyone except Nasu is horrible at explaining it. calling those series "non-canon" is quicker and easier than writing a whole loving dissertation about how, specifically, they do not matter

e: basically you're not strictly wrong but it's more or less inevitable that if someone deviates from the order I threw out, they're gonna miss some stuff, and i was gearing it towards fully understanding everything and not missing any references or subtext. if you don't care about catching everything then yeah, sure, jump around at will, but Fate is honestly pretty weirdly intricate and catching all the small poo poo is part of the fun imo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hommando posted:

I tried googling this but couldn't find a good answer. How long is the main story of FGO? I cannot stand gacha games, but I can probably deal with the gameplay if the story is decent.

Part 1 is Seven main story chapters (of increasing length and quality as the game gains in popularity) bookended by a prologue and epilogue chapter
Then there is Epic of Remnant which is 4 decent sized interim adventures
Then there is Part 2: Cosmos in the Lost Belt, which is so far a prologue and 4.5 story chapters (the English version is only up to the prologue).

Honestly, if you're not interested in the gameplay, it might be better just to watch playthroughs on youtube?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fgo has 7 story arc chapters, a prologue and a finale chapter, and four post-story arcs, each of which you can probably beat with a couple days of casual play, with the second major arc kicking off in the next couple months with at least 5 chapters coming, judging from the Japanese version which is roughly 2 years ahead of USA.

The issue most people run into is that the first four of those chapters, while they have some good to great moments, are kinda bad overall, with some really dumb and lovely writing at parts, and the story doesn't well and truly start improving until chapter 5 (America) and Camelot, chapter 6, is the first one everyone agrees is fully great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I'd recommend watching on youtube. Be sure to watch the event stories, too, a lot of the best writing is in those.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Endorph posted:

Yeah I'd recommend watching on youtube. Be sure to watch the event stories, too, a lot of the best writing is in those.

I agree the events often have some of the best writing (especially for the more light-hearted side of Fate), but the only event stories I would consider "plot critical" would be the Prison Tower (which introduces reoccurring character, Edmon Dantes) and the CCC Collab event (which is basically a fifth Epic of Remnant Chapter).

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I maintain that Okeanos is good :colbert:

It’s got all the right moments to make it memorable before Camelot kicks things up a notch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Okeanos is a fun little adventure, but like all the early chapters, it would probably be so much better if rewritten and cleaned up to the standards the game now has with new story content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I agree the events often have some of the best writing (especially for the more light-hearted side of Fate), but the only event stories I would consider "plot critical" would be the Prison Tower (which introduces reoccurring character, Edmon Dantes) and the CCC Collab event (which is basically a fifth Epic of Remnant Chapter).

yeah but if you're going out of your way to watch dozens of hours of fgo cutscenes you might as well watch medb put a police siren on a dog's head and get murdered by a wheel of cheese while you're at it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
how about that new version of Emiya in the most recent Spring Song PV, anyways

i was hype as gently caress when I first heard it just because holy poo poo, Yuki Kaijura version of Emiya, but, on a re-listen it kind of doesn't sound right? it's kind of too calm for an Emiya remix

Endorph posted:

yeah but if you're going out of your way to watch dozens of hours of fgo cutscenes you might as well watch medb put a police siren on a dog's head and get murdered by a wheel of cheese while you're at it

also what

i really wish i liked FGO's gameplay more because everything i hear about it sounds amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

again you can just watch the cutscenes on youtube, you're basically getting the same experience. occasionally there's some plot/characterization conveyed through gameplay but that's pretty rare

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also what

i really wish i liked FGO's gameplay more because everything i hear about it sounds amazing

Non story events vary but they are usually either heartwarming, hilarious, or both.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
but yeah i don't think it got posted here, here's the Spring Song PV that has Emiya in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tZ7_a0LYY

not a very interesting PV otherwise (the last one hyped me up way more) and... yeah I'm not sure if I like this version, it's too chill

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds... fine? Admittedly I'm kinda biased to certain versions of the song, but maybe it'll correspond with whatever scene it ends up being used with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Order doesn't matter much since most of the spinoffs have little to do with FSN other than branding but I'd still advocate for reading the original series and its spinoffs because they're good stories.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but yeah i don't think it got posted here, here's the Spring Song PV that has Emiya in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tZ7_a0LYY

not a very interesting PV otherwise (the last one hyped me up way more) and... yeah I'm not sure if I like this version, it's too chill

It's actually an old version. It's just a PV to show the new key visual.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Here's how you start Fate poo poo, play Tsukihime first

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's what I did

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

AlternateNu posted:

Fate/Extra ~Last Encore~ is much better if you’ve played the original F/E. It may not be god tier quality, but I enjoyed it. And it is a better binge than F/Z.

Even then it's still going to be rather odd if you have played F/E (admittedly I've only done the Nero route). Once I realized one of the main people involved was also behind the anime adaptations of the Monogatari light novel series (Bakemonogatari, etc.) it made sense why it was presented in such a way. I know it wasn't mean to be a straight up adaptation of F/E but still. It made sense for Monogatari. Not so much for Fate. I am glad they dropped the Lil Ronnie/Lancer Vlad part though. God that chapter was dumb.

The best thing about Last Encore? It's wall to wall UMU.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They cowarded it out on that chapter actually because they could have gone with the OTHER chapter 4 team.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I maintain that Okeanos is good :colbert:

I just know I'd go drinking with Drake anytime. And give Euryale and Asterios headpats whenever possible.

Blackbeard can get hosed though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Rody One Half posted:

They cowarded it out on that chapter actually because they could have gone with the OTHER chapter 4 team.

Guessing this is something that might be more apparent if I go through Archer's or Tamamo's routes?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ReverendHammer posted:

Guessing this is something that might be more apparent if I go through Archer's or Tamamo's routes?

No, it's the Rin/Rani route split that results in the difference. Previous spoiler is the Chapter 4 boss for the Rin route, whereas Rani has Berserker Arcueid and her master as the boss. With that said, it was highly unlikely they'd have put something like that in Last Encore for a variety of reasons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The main reason being cowardice

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hommando posted:

While the first few chapters are slow and dumb, it really cranks up later. Camelot and Babylonia are great and look at old FSN characters through a whole new light. The overall plot is extremely Nasu wordbabble, for what it's worth, dunno if that's a plus or a minus for you.

The game only really started to get real popular in Japan around the last few chapters of Part 1. Since then, with parts 1.5 and 2 there's only been one real story chapter everyone agrees was a flop. And I personally think the CCC event was some of the best material Nasu's put out in a while, and while some people have differing opinions, I think Urobuchi's chapter in part 2 is real good as well.

If you decide to play it as opposed to just watching it on youtube, the gameplay is honestly kind of the same as the story. It's so easy you can pretty much faceroll it in the early parts, only starts to get challenging around Camelot/Babylonia, and then after Part 1 they start to introduce more mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did this episode of Babylonia have a guest director? The character designs, animation and colouring were quite different.