Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It is a by the numbers DW clone with not a ton to set it apart or above its competition.

That is not to say it's a bad game. It's not. It's fine. If it's cheap and you're curious, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd say one thing it does offer is a sense of scale and power that you rarely get even in Dynasty Warriors games. The special attacks in that game are absolutely wild.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Link is a pretty fun game that is a big step up from it's predecessor in the gameplay department.

Unfortunately it was also accompanied by, imo at least, a big step back in terms of story. It has enjoyable parts but it just didn't stick with me like Umbral Star did. If you want to rip and tear with Servants tho it will scratch that itch.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Link is a pretty fun game that is a big step up from it's predecessor in the gameplay department.

Unfortunately it was also accompanied by, imo at least, a big step back in terms of story. It has enjoyable parts but it just didn't stick with me like Umbral Star did. If you want to rip and tear with Servants tho it will scratch that itch.

Which one is the basic Fate/Extelle on Steam? Umbral Star? Link? Or something else?

I'm thinking about getting it too, I never played any Fate game outside of the VNs and FGO and "Dynasty Warriors,but even more bombastic and with Servants" sounds pretty good.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Which one is the basic Fate/Extelle on Steam? Umbral Star? Link? Or something else?

Umbral Star is the first game, Link is the massively improved sequel with better mechanics and a bigger cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Link's story isn't great but Charlie and Astolfo are an incredibly funny comedic duo.

'And why are you running around joining the enemy? Papa's crying, Astolfo!"
'You aren't my real dad!'

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Giggidy. Pulled the trigger, and found out I still had $18 in Amazon gift cash on my account. :woop:

Tis a good day.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I thought Link was just an expansion with the same story but more characters, it has its own story mode?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rody One Half posted:

I thought Link was just an expansion with the same story but more characters, it has its own story mode?

It's a completely new story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

it has its own story and the gameplay mechanics are completely redone. its definitely not just an expansion.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah its barebones but the fun servant interactions keep you going thru the game—I didn't play it for long after the plot runs its course (you also break the game by that point and enemies never scale up enough to challenge you again)

barebones can mean stuff like every servant shows up with lines, but sometimes its just one chapter where gil goes "im not relevant this time but i still look fine" and then tamamo and nero roast his goldy armor

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Still waiting for a spinoff starring Charlie and Astolfo that's basically just, "Jackass but with Servants."

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Endorph posted:

Link's story isn't great but Charlie and Astolfo are an incredibly funny comedic duo.

'And why are you running around joining the enemy? Papa's crying, Astolfo!"
'You aren't my real dad!'

I was happy when Best Boy Astolfo showed up.

Kinda wish they had done more with Scathach story wise (especially since she's one of my favorite Servants in FGO). Though I will say she's fun as hell to play in Link.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I've tried to look into this but every answer I find on google leaves me more lost.

Is there a manga or anime of the Fate: Grand Order storyline? An official one? I always get 8 or so alternatives with no clear order of which one comes first or is a main story or side story.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

I've tried to look into this but every answer I find on google leaves me more lost.

Is there a manga or anime of the Fate: Grand Order storyline? An official one? I always get 8 or so alternatives with no clear order of which one comes first or is a main story or side story.

The reason why it is so confusing is that the anime and manga focus on individual chapters within the greater whole of the FGO story instead of covering everything.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there is one anime adaptation of the seventh area of part 1, an upcoming duology of movies for the sixth area of part 1, and there will be an animated adaptation of the final area of part 1. there is an ova for the prologue. that is all that there is animated. there is apparently a manga adaptation for everything in part 1 as well as part 1.5.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a lot, but none of them are really complete or fully standalone.

For anime you have First Order, which adapts the opening as well as TV and movie adaptations for the last two chapters (Camelot and Babylonia) and the ending, with only Babylonia being complete as of now.

There's two Arc 1 manga that adapt or skip different parts that are currently publishing, and separate manga for each of the 5 Epic of Remnant (Arc 1.5) chapters. There's currently no adaptations of Arc 2, though there is an anthology manga about the antagonists.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In conclusion, it's a mess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To put it more simply the anime is basically a straight adaptation that skipped over the chapters that would be hard to handle with their method, but some find them kind of bland so far since they're pretty no-frills about deviating from the game's script or fleshing out the protagonist.

The manga have a lot more personality but I view them as companion pieces since the appeal is more about seeing a particular author put their own spin on the story and character dynamics.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That's better. So First Order would be the starting point, then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

first order isnt very good and is the least connected to the story as it actually is in fgo.

realistically you just arent going to experience the story without playing the game, by design. there's anime and manga that give individual chapters or snippets but there's no direct replacement for the game. here is a list of every major story chapter in fgo and its adaptation:

Part 1:
Singularity F: Very loosely adapted as First Order.
Orleans: Not adapted.
Rome: Not adapted.
Okeanos: Not adapted.
London: Not adapted.
America: Not adapted.
Camelot: Being adapted into a pair of movies.
Babylonia: Adapted into a 26 episode anime.
Solomon: Not adapted.

Part 1.5:
Shinjuku: Not adapted, I believe?
Agartha: Not adapted, I believe?
Shimosa: Adapted into a manga.
Salem: Adapted into a manga.

Part 2:
Prologue: Not adapted.
Anastasia: Not adapted.
Goetterdammerung: Not adapted.
SIN: Not adapted.
Yuga Kshetra: Not adapted.
Atlantis: Not adapted.
Olympus: Not adapted.
Heian-Kyo: Not adapted.

To say nothing of the various events that are canonical to the story and provide further details or background which aren't adapted, or the various side stuff in game that gives characters a lot more characterization. Or the fact that even of the stuff that is adapted, it's all by different people, with different storytelling styles and priorities.

If you want to experience FGO's story, either play the game or look up the dozens of hours of cutscenes on youtube. That isn't me being elitist or anything, if there was a replacement system for the game I'd point you to that, and if you wanna watch Babylonia or Camelot or read one of the manga as a sampling or just out of curiosity, by all means, but if you want to actually see the whole story then the game's the only real way. F/SN's anime adaptations aren't perfect but taken as a whole you can get the gist of the game, and UBW TV and HF are by the same studio and thus are largely visually consistent. there's no equivalent for FGO and there's so much of it that there probably never will be.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All the part 1.5 sections have their own mangas ongoing, CCC included.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

All the part 1.5 sections have their own mangas ongoing, CCC included.

dang fair

the rest still applies tho. heck even if everything *did* have a manga it still wouldnt really functionally replace the game

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Solomon is getting adapted

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Found this on google: https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/dz2h8e/fatereading_order_a_guide_to_fgorelated/

Mortalis Stella and Turas Realta both adapt FGO part one, skipping some chapters. They're different takes on it. Turas Realta actually has a fan translation going and imho is pretty good so check it out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1341941765796814848

for some reason people are taking this as proof tsukihime is dead even though its literally a massive callback to tsukihime

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Calling it now: The reason there's been a relative drought of new FGO content lately (aside from Covid poo poo) is to ration the game's plot out and keep it from wrapping up the story long enough that the long-delayed Tsukihime Remake can still be released in tandem with a Golden Week collab event. The ultimate in cross-brand synergy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nasu is figuring out a way to put gilgamesh in the remake.

e: this way arc doesn't have to be lonely in the far side routes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Nasu may have literally said that Arc and Gil would always attempt to kill one another.

Actually I guess that's really not that different from Tsukihime

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I got to poking around about Tsukihime's story (in lieu of reading it, because who has that kind of time) and is Kohaku's route as horrible as the broad plot summary details make it sound?

I know that hosed up sex poo poo is the fashion of genre fiction eroge, but dang

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kohaku's route is good. It gives her a lot of empathy and she's a fairly complex character. The only dumb part is the handwavey excuse for it all to happen in the first place but it's not like it puts any blame on her or anything.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Akiha and Hisui get so screwed on their routes. :smith:

The Hisui route is basically “go play the Kohaku route now” for example.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I think Nasu may have literally said that Arc and Gil would always attempt to kill one another.

Actually I guess that's really not that different from Tsukihime

I don't recall him saying that but I do him specifically detailing how gilgamesh would have an unfair advatange against her because gaia only boosts how power based on the individual strength of her opponent. I think they'd make a cute couple imo.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I got to poking around about Tsukihime's story (in lieu of reading it, because who has that kind of time) and is Kohaku's route as horrible as the broad plot summary details make it sound?

I know that hosed up sex poo poo is the fashion of genre fiction eroge, but dang

The Worst Writing and Most Heinous Misogyny

Tsukihime is what it is, and what it is is a visual novel that includes goofy sex tropes. It also deals with serious, dark themes, including sexual violence, and the juxtaposition is sometimes awkward. I liked Kohaku’s route and think it’s good but your mileage may vary.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It does bear mentioning a defining characteristic of Tsukihime is that, unlike with our boy Shirou who has a little bit of a case of cultural-context-appropriate sexism in him but it ends up coming off as comical because he's basically housewife, Shiki is deep down a pervert and a sadist, has no filter when he loses his cool, and you spend the entirety of the VN in his increasingly deteriorating headspace as he's physically and mentally eroded by the various circumstances of the story.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah Shiki is kind of a dick, and Nasu did say that both he and Shirou wouldn't get along at all since they have clashing personalities. Shiki to me was more the "normal" VN protagonist for those types of games, sarcastic, perverted, and kind of a jerk in general.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shiki in Tsukihime has an actually rather inconsistent personality, he doesn't really get developed as a character in his own right until Kagetsu. Fate Stay Night is a story about Shirou where his relationships with the girls just serve to show different sides of him, but Tsukihime is a story about the girls where Shiki is, though not a blank slate, not the focus the same way the girls themselves are.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tsukihime story is fine, but I find its writing very repetitive. FSN is more consistently good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. FSN is structured incredibly well, each route builds on the last in terms of character and themes while being completely distinct. I'm curious if Newkihime will apply some of the lessons Nasu had clearly learnt by FSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Tsukihime manga is really good, iirc.