Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah that's probably a better question for /a/ or Beast's Lair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Namtab posted:

whats a secondary. If its someone who watched fate zero first then im mad as h*ck

It's a general term for someone who didn't read the source material for any adaption.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

here's another question for /a/ or beast's lair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMAPKPmtvk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

maybeflan posted:

It's a general term for someone who didn't read the source material for any adaption.

I didn't read the source material before I saw a review of Cool Cat Saves the Kids, does that make me a secondary

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

maybeflan posted:

What about the people who clearly didn't read it despite claiming they did?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Beef Chief posted:

I didn't read the source material before I saw a review of Cool Cat Saves the Kids, does that make me a secondary

Twiddy posted:

I brought this on myself. :negative:

Um, probably?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Twiddy posted:

We call them "Studio Deen".

rvm
May 6, 2013
How do you call someone who watched Carnival Phantasm first?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

maybeflan posted:

I brought this on myself. :negative:

Um, probably?

You did bring this upon yourself, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C67thOEtVNQ

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

you call them journalists

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

GhostStalker posted:

That was Re-reads and Reviews, and his overall UBW review is what is linked there.

He's currently playing the VN as well, apparently already finished UBW and starting on HF, mentioning a bunch of his thoughts on the Fate route in his UBW anime Epilogue review. Apparently, he's gonna do Zero after finishing the VN, and he's started reviewing the Kara no Kyokai movies recently, finishing the first. He also has some comments on the UBW route of the VN in the comments of that KnK review, though not that much since most of his thoughts on the VN route mirror the ones he had on the anime.

Oh, awesome. I can't wait until this guy gets to Paradox Spiral.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's /jp/ you loving cretin.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Given how most anime are adaptations /a/ attracts all the "secondary" accusations.

(To BL's credit I've never seen that term used unironically)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm a secondary, it's me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How is the Fate/zero anime?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RatHat posted:

How is the Fate/zero anime?

Really good. Great self-contained story that leaves some threads hanging if you want to delve into the Fate franchise more.

Pro tip: Don't start a conversation on whether it is better to watch F/Z before UBW or reading the VN. Just do whatever you want.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just keep in mind Fate/Zero is the prequel at the very least.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'm in an argument with someone who is insisting that Shirou has some sort of Sorcery/True Magic.

:negative:

I don't even, it's demonstrably false.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Shirou is a pretty special case, but not THAT special.

There are what, 5 magicians that we know of? Five. In the whole Type-Moon universe. That's totes ridic, bro.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm in an argument with someone who is insisting that Shirou has some sort of Sorcery/True Magic.

Reality Marbles are pretty close to True Magic. Close, but not quite there. I can see how someone would be confused.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm gonna guess where they're coming from. Unlimited Blade Works creates objects from nothing, so it could be said that he uses the first Magic "denial of nothingness." The problem with equating that to Shirou knowing True Magic is that you could then say that Fake Assassin knows the Second Magic because he can use Tsubame Gaeshi, which makes equally as little sense.

Pretty much the only reason a connection between Shirou's reality marble and the 1st Magic comes up is because that would be one of the reasons Clocktower would want to seal him, hoping to learn more about True Magic through a study of his reality marble.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I'm gonna guess where they're coming from. Unlimited Blade Works creates objects from nothing, so it could be said that he uses the first Magic "denial of nothingness." The problem with equating that to Shirou knowing True Magic is that you could then say that Fake Assassin knows the Second Magic because he can use Tsubame Gaeshi, which makes equally as little sense.

Pretty much the only reason a connection between Shirou's reality marble and the 1st Magic comes up is because that would be one of the reasons Clocktower would want to seal him, hoping to learn more about True Magic through a study of his reality marble.

I thought Kojiro did use the Second Magic, though...

Does Shirou actually make projections out of nothing? The ability being called Gradation Air implies they're made of air.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 20, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am the bone of my sword

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Twiddy posted:

The problem mainly seems to be that he's attributing it to a quote from Rin during the Fate route when she's complaining about his projections. Which are probably shocking to a magus like Rin but not directly True Magic. The poster seems to be claiming Rin said it was Sorcery but having recently played UBW this isn't true.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Namtab posted:

I am the bone of my sword

For real? drat, dude. Respect.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kojirou is actually accessing an aspect of Kaleidoscope with TG, Nasu says he's be a Sorcerer if born in a mage family.

UBW isn't actually the 1st because it does create the weapons with materials, which is part of why Shirou can't make Ea.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wait where did you get that first statement?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Rin compares it to magic, but that doesn't mean all that much. Reality Marbles have always been ways of "cheating" by changing the laws of the universe.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

At least you didn't make the GATE thread.

This is late like hell, but for some reason I looked at the GATE thread today.

My condolences.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fanart is cool

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a kitten posted:

fanart is cool

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. This needs to be a Carnival Phantasm skit, right now!

After wedding party, and Shirou is obsessed that there are enough hordervous for the guests.
Saber to Rin: So, you finally decided to tie the knot, eh?
Rin: Ayup. I am currently rethinking that decision.
All the while, the bottle never leaves Sakura's mouth.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

a kitten posted:

fanart is cool

Is this just a trace of a Friends episode?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Part of wielding true magic is gleaning some deeper understanding of the World. Someone might mistaken Shiro as using true magic since it's described that he gains power from the World in exchange for his soul after he dies. But all he gains is a battery to use his reality marble. Not any deeper understanding or new magic. Shiro's magic circuits suck too much to actually pull off UBW without extra fuel.

To use his reality marble with any large amount of power Shiro either sells his soul, connects to Rin's not-lovely magic circuits, or disregards any safety and has it completely destroy his mind and body.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

For real? drat, dude. Respect.

Like father like son, I guess? :v: Kiritsugu's mystic code is p bonkers.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Kojirou is actually accessing an aspect of Kaleidoscope with TG, Nasu says he's be a Sorcerer if born in a mage family.
Yes he's accessing Second Magic, that doesn't necessarily mean he can use Second Magic or is a Second Magic wielder. The important part of your quote is that he's not from a mage family and he's not a sorcerer.

I suppose the best way to put it is that a true wielder of a type of Magic could use it in all of its aspects, not just a few. This definitely applies to Kojiro, and if you follow the interpretation that Shirou's reality marble is a type of first magic it would apply to him as well.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

quote:

Time to project

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So how was Rin planning to summon any servant, let alone a Saber, with no catalyst? Also how do catalysts for purely mythological heroes even work?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

So how was Rin planning to summon any servant, let alone a Saber, with no catalyst? Also how do catalysts for purely mythological heroes even work?

If you summon with no catalyst at all, you get the Servant with the personality most similar to your own. Even if you do use one, you get the most personality-appropriate of all possible Servants associated with the catalyst.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RatHat posted:

You can summon a Servant without a catalyst, and you'll get a Servant that best matches your personality. Rin probably thought, "Saber is the best Servant, and I'm the best so :smug:".

Catalysts work on a symbolic level. What you need is something that represents the hero or is associated with them. Hence Tokiomi using that old fossilized snakeskin as the "first snake to shed its skin" to summon Gilgamesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There also seem to be a bunch of other factors that Rin was relying on in her ritual to affect the outcome; that's why she was so upset that she forgot that her clock was off and didn't do it at the time she intended to.