Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which episode did Iskandar appear in Carnival Phantasm? I don't remember that at all :(

Pretty sure it's the last one. They had a bunch of last minute characters show up without any lines as the closing scene, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Yeah...I can't say I hate Sakura? I mean, I understand where she's coming from and she certainly matches Shirou well...it's just that she really is kind of boring as a person. She's not bad, just until Heaven's Feel itself there's nothing really compelling me to her. Once you get to her background I went "Ooooh, okay. That makes sense" but her actual personality is just kind of meh.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well we know it's difficult but not impossible for a servant to go against a command seal. It depends on the magical power of the user and the independence of the servant (Gilgamesh seems to be basically immune). So maybe Archer (with his independent action skill) can easily ignore them while Caster can't. And Saber can ignore Shirou's if she really wants to because Shirou isn't that magical.

Independent Action is a skill that simply describes how long a Servant can last without actually being connected to a Master's mana pool, not how well they deal with Command Spells. Archer was never really contracted under Caster during the betrayal, and was solely reliant on Independent Action keeping him around for the duration. The entire reason the alliance happens is because he wanted Rule Breaker to hit him because Rin used a Command Spell to actually stop him from attacking Shirou.

Gil can't be ordered around in FSN because he doesn't actually have a master/command seal relationship. He survives on an indefinite Independent Action skill and feeds off a different source for prana to fuel his normal abilities.

As for why you can't use all three of them, it was made clear in Fate (though never practiced) in the explanation that once you use up all three, you're out of the War. You are no longer the master and thus, there is no connection: the Servant has no mana to use to stay in Fuyuki. Its an immediate forfeit, basically.

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 15, 2014

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It's a matter of whether or not you need the extra summoning line. You can summon a Berserker without it if the legend is so inclined, the extra line makes it applicable to anyone though.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It chooses Masters, but Servants are entirely based on the ritual.

Catalysts decide the Servant easier (Shirou having Avalon stuck inside him leading to Saber, for example), buuut if one isn't used, it's based on Master personality. Kind of like how Fate/Zero Caster was summoned the way he was due to a hosed up Ritual as well.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Bakanogami posted:

If I had one big bone to pick with it, it would probably be that most of the enemies never seem to bother to actually move forward towards you, instead just hanging back at their starting locations. It made the difficulty feel neutered, made the skill points harder to get (and a couple stages were really hard), and generally made the game feel slower.

This + the combination of every enemy having Support Defense later on didn't help things either.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Let's not forget due to how wrong he was taught, Shirou was using his nerves instead of his actual Circuits, adding onto his suck because when he finally "awakens" them, they barely hold any prana in them.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

U-DO Burger posted:

It's funny. When UBW began I also thought to myself that Zero was better, so I started to watch that again. But holy poo poo Kiritsugu is such an overly dramatic emo protagonist who's hard to care about because it's impossible for him to do something cool without him getting all choked up over it later.

Shirou is so much more enjoyable as a protagonist because even though he's experienced horrible trauma, he's not constantly whining about it.

Another reason that makes the whole Kiritsugu thing hilrious to me is that UBW as a route is basically saying "gently caress off" with his negative mindset as the main point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
For F/HA, ask yourself this

"Do you care to find out what happened to FSN Lancer's killed master and a somewhat short plot about her" and I mean -short-. the entire thing is "pick and choose funny scenes" and when it hits nighttime you get a short thing for the actual plot of the game.

A lot of the gags in Carnival Phantasm are also a mix of things from FHA as well as acknowledging fandom jokes.