Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Grimace posted:

No, its because the HF True End is a literal Deus Ex Machina.

The only part of it which is a Deus Ex Machina is the answer to your second question. Ilya intervening and destroying the Grail to save Shirou makes perfect sense and is foreshadowed to hell and back.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not entirely sure I understood what was supposed to be occurring to Shirou's body in the HF True End either. Anyone care to explain it?

Aozaki Touko constructed him a puppet body and transferred his consciousness to it. She's so good at constructing simulacra that it's literally impossible to tell the real person from the fake, so there's precedent, but it's still a pretty dubious last-minute crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Being clearly foreshadowed and based on established logic makes it not a DEM. Goons shouldn't use narrative terminology, they don't know how it works. The Grail runs on the Third Sorcery, Ilya is intimately connected to the Grail, and what she uses on Shirou isn't "legitimate divine sorcery," it's a desperate and incomplete version of it, much like the Grail itself. All she does is a variation on what Einzberns have been doing throughout the entire franchise.

Shirou in the mean time is basically a lump of flesh with just enough life support that Rider could scoop him up and get him to a mage hospital.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

It's up to your imagination as to what he looked like at that moment.