Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Compendium posted:

On the one hand, the cost of the nice animation probably has to be compensated somehow.

On the other hand, loving 400 bucks....

Haha, as if the animators are paid well for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, any tips for a newcomer to the game? I've gotten to Okeanos, been grinding dailies when possible using support servants that let me even cheese the 40 AP ones. The current summon gacha isn't really appealing to me so I haven't been spending any on it, though I have been using mana prisms for tickets. Is there a specific trick to getting exp cards cause my servants are starting to get underlevelled in late Okeanos.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nyaa posted:

If you haven't buy the exp set from the shop, grind 30 ap exp and sell all the silver exp.

Guessing money gets scarce? Ignore all lower exp cards for the very best?

Also, is there any point/use in 1-2 star servants?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BlitzBlast posted:

He's telling you the trick to getting a ton of mana prisms, which you can exchange at Da Vinci's for like 40 4* ALL XP.

Otherwise, if you want XP then either wait for an event or just grind the 40 AP experience daily. Servants need a lot of XP once you hit the higher levels, but even then one proper 40 AP daily is like 1 -2 levels. It adds up.

And almost every single Servant has a niche. Aside from bronzes being easier to grind up/hit NP5/costing less team wise, if the team you're building has a spot for that niche and you don't have anyone objectively better then you may as well use them.

Since you're likely unfamiliar, the main features of each bronzes are:

Arash: Wave Clearing + Super Gimmicky Absurdly High Damage
Mozart: Party Arts Buff + 1 turn Star generator
Kojiro: Star Generator/Receiver
Mata Hari: lol
Asterios: 1 turn Buster Crit Machine + debuffer
Spartacus: Tank
Leonidas: Tank with a Taunt + Party Buster Buff
Benkei: Tank + Can Sorta Disable Enemy NPs But That's Pretty Bad
George: Tank with a Taunt + Makes Siegfried Less Useless
Blackbeard: lol He's sorta useful for his skills if you're doing a bronze only run I guess
Shakespeare: Party Buster Buff + Targetable 20% NP charge/star absorption buff
Andersen: Critical damage buff + easy access NP that can buff attack/defense
Sanson: Anti Evil Human
Phantom of the Opera: lol
Cursed Arm: Has a 3 use dodge and can sorta generate stars well enough
Bloodaxe: lol
Caligula: Glass Cannon

Ah, thanks.

Just read further on a translation guide to the interface. Burning 3-star exp (Silver exp) gives you mana prisms? Well gently caress, I've been using them up previously.

Edit: Is there any reason to keep Shielder up in levels? Or even have her in the front lines if you can squeeze out more type-advantages with other servants? I've read that she gets better after Camelot but I'm just at London.

Argas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 16, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BlitzBlast posted:

All bronze Servants get assloads of HP from the extra ~40 levels, but other than that there's nobody who strictly benefits from it more than anyone else. I guess Arash can become a super suicide bomber but eeeeeh.

The only Servants who you could say are objectively "better" to grail are Saber Alter (ends up stronger than vanilla Saber), Heracles (he really appreciates the HP), and Cu (ends up better than most 5* Lancers). And even then they're not exactly showstoppers either; just grail your favorite Servant.

Frankenstein is an okay wave clearer.

Mashu is bar none the best stall Servant in the game. This comes up almost never (Babylon tried to incorporate it but it just hands you Merlin so lol), but it's a thing. She'll also get some kind of bonus in the final Solomon raid, though no details of that yet.

After Camelot her party defense buff gets a flat damage reduction added as well. It basically makes it so she can guarantee up to three turns of little to no damage (Party Defense Up -> invincibility + taunt -> NP)

Yeah, I tend to use her skills quite a lot, she's just not that impressive on the damage side due to standing outside the RPS triangles, and my party being generally underleveled means I lean heavily on support servants.

Servant-wise, I have EMIYA and Carmilla from the initial draw. Picked up Medea later. Mostly been slotting one of those three in appropriate/neutral matchups alongside Shielder and crazy-strong supports. Have Cu Caster, Kiyohime, and David from story missions. For 3-stars, I have Caesar, Euryale, Robin Hood, Young Cu, Tawara Toda, Paracelsus, Geronimo, Hassan of Serenity, Young Alex and, Lu Bu. Have not really bothered leveling the last bunch of 3-stars yet because until recently I was starved on exp cards and I'm not sure how well they compare. Plus, holding out for better quartz draws.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BlitzBlast posted:

I speak from experience when I say you can lean on your Support until the very last bits of America.

After that you basically need to sit down and make a real team. Euryale is worth raising up because she's useful in Camelot, Emiya eventually becomes one of the best crit receivers in the game, Caesar is a pretty good "if you don't have any better Sabers" guy, and David has a handy dodge skill that can help your Support servant survive longer. I have to imagine you have bronzes too: if you're got Shakespeare, his Enchant and The Kings Men skill are pretty worthwhile, especially if you get a Raikou support. Hans is also a similarly useful support-oriented Servant.

If (and this is a big if) you have a Piece of 2030 CE (or anything that generates stars every turn), you could get started on building a crit team based on Emiya. Get a support Jack, put the 2030 on a Servant of your choice (preferably Hans), and then fully ascend Emiya and do both strengthening quests.

Other than that, though, you kinda don't have anyone worth building a team around. It's a downside of starting late, and the game isn't going to tear into you too hard, but Camelot and later Babylon are going to feel like complete slogs.

Also Proto Cu isn't Cu Lily!

EDIT: If you want to roll for anyone better, the major people to look for are:

1. Waver - The heart and soul of so many wave clearing teams.
2. Jack the Ripper - The best Assassin, and the key too all crit oriented teams.
3. Saber Lancelot - The current best Saber and a backbone of Arts Crit teams.
4. Cu Alter - In the running for best Berserker, and a good all purpose damage guy.

Sadly a lot of the other real all stars are limited, so you won't find them anymore.

Thanks for all the help.

Have they redone summoning campaigns for limited servants after their release? I've used to the idolmaster phone game (my poor wallet!) where they'd occasionally bring back limited cards (usually higher % of drawing them vs other super rares) for a week or so, usually when it's seasonally appropriate.

And I do have a bunch of bronzes from friend point draws. Luckily just happened to start when they were handing out thousands of points.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BlitzBlast posted:

Last year they had a paid quartz only gacha on New Years that brought back all the limited servants. So that's a thing that might happen again.

Otherwise, it's pretty rare for limited servants to show up again.

Bah, once a year is common enough. :unsmith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is it usually worth upgrading NPs? I have a second Euryale and Medea. Euryale's NP looks devastating against male Saber-class enemies and 300% for the upgrade looks nice. No idea on Medea and I haven't had much luck/opportunity stripping buffs with Medea.

Edit: Is there a good time to unlock the other Mystic Codes? I notice they're level 50 so I'm wary of spending 40 AP to see just how outclassed I am even with a good support.

Edit 2: If I'm reading this right, star generation is the amount of stars that attacks generate, and absorption is when the stars are assigned to attacks, higher absorption = more crits?

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is there a cap on AP? I'm sitting on 400 from taking advantage of the half-AP cost for story quests and have been grinding through levels.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I suspected as much. Just hadn't been paying attention to my AP and 400 looked like it may have been a cap.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Started the Camelot chapter aaaand I get smushed in the first battle. Time to farm those mana prisms.

Edit: Oh god, ascension items don't always drop.

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rider Mordred is cute, but somehow Saber Mordred is even cuter. Seriously, why is the foul-mouthed Saberface so adorable?

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm still stuck on Camelot. :smith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How do raid events work anyway? I'm guessing the Solomon stuff will stick around after the raid stuff ends, otherwise the plot wouldn't make much sense.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It'd be nice if newer players weren't excluded. :smith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Captain Baal posted:

This is not made for newer players, I'm sorry to say

I just came at an unlucky time. Totally understandable for Solomon to be gated and all, just a bit frustrating starting the game and the first big event is something I have to sit out, all the while hearing about loot pinatas full of ascension materials and whatnot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Freak Futanari posted:

I dunno, they were pretty inclusive to newbies too, since they handed out enough golden apples that a new player should have been able to plow through the game over the last couple weeks. Unless you literally started yesterday or something, in which case it'd have been hard to do well in any event, really

I started about a week and a half ago. The half AP for main story missions has been a huge help but I've run into a roadblock with Camelot. Gacha RNG means I have a hard time putting together a decent team. Cap on number of things I can buy with mana prisms means I need to grind more exp cards from the repeatable dailies, and I'm in for a long grind on most ascension items past the first time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Trying to get through Camelot has been wearing away at my patience, so I went and rolled on some summons and holy poo poo Merlin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SpaceDrake posted:

See I knew you nerds would kill everything before I even got there. At least I'm making good progress through Babylonia.

Realistically, an account as young as yours is going to really struggle to get anywhere in Camelot without, like, constantly chomping down on SQs for revives. The Round Table knights do not gently caress around, and the final boss will basically NP every third turn and you need to hack through 600k HP. Never mind the Demon Pillar of Camelot having, effectively, near a million health in its second battle.

If you think you can hack through that, then go for it, but the only reason I'm even considering making it to Solomon before things are over is because I'm sitting on three dozen gold apples and have a good spread of stone killers, including the two incredibly powerful Christmas event Alters. Though Nero's also been a total trooper through this march to the end of time, and I'm very tempted to Grail her, especially as a Fate/Extra fan.

Grats on Merlin though, he's one of the best support casters ever. :)

Yeah, I've given up on getting to Solomon anytime soon. Just gotta grind exp and ascension materials now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At the very least, they're special magical artifact swords with all sorts of special properties. Sure, you won't be making them shoot laser beams or call down the heavens but they're still magical artifacts.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nyaa posted:

So what happened to Solomon's Grand Caster status? I was expecting Holmes to show up at the finale too. :(

Well, given that the Beasts are becoming more of a thing, it probably means the real Grand Orders starts here.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What're the chances that your selection of support servants become the real Grand Servants?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Not quite sure which paid gacha I'd want to roll for or which day I want to spend my gems on. I could use a good AoE archer so Gil and Ishtar would be nice, but taking a shot at Lancer Artoria would be nice too, though no idea if the paid gacha cares about story unlocks (still haven't cleared camelot).

Also, rip Olga.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hey now, you can't just resurrect people willy-nilly.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hoped for Drake, got Ozy instead. Not bad.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I used one of my tickets to draw and got a Scathach.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In order to settle this massive difference in opinions, I must request your opinion of a different item in order to judge who is the better judge of a game's quality.

Tsukihime anime, what're your thoughts?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, just bring an Archer with an AoE NP for the second round and finish charging the Archer's NP during the first round. Only issue is getting the Archer's NP charged up since you'll (ideally) have one of the event CEs that don't give NP charge equipped.

I've been relying on support Ishtars with the event CE since she's got a decent NP charger skill.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is she any good?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Trying to make sense of this event.

The various Valentine CEs, from 2016 as well as the new ones boost chocolate coin drops for classes (2016 for equipped class, 2017 for what's strong against equipped class). It costs 150 coins for each Servant-specific chocolate. These Chocolate CEs are just exp fodder/proof of your devotion to your waifu?

They can also be traded 1:1 for chocolate that can be spent towards shop items, which is the real meat of the game? And there's chocolate molds you can use to try and farm a specific class coin but you'll want to have the right team comp for that?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chocolate Nobus. Why are they so adorable

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ugh, trying to get Lancer chocolate coins and it is painful when my only saber is defensively-oriented.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MonsieurChoc posted:

You don't have Fat Cesar or Bedivere or Fergus?

I do not. Been too busy with Valentine's stuff to go through Camelot. Besides, I'm stuck on the time you fight Gawain for real and need to farm more mats to level Euryale.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just realized that there's an aspect of the chocolate coin drops that I didn't even bother asking about.

Are drops determined by what CE you equip and/or what enemies you face? If I run, say, a lancer team with anti-class CEs, does that mean I'll get saber coins even if I use an archer mold for type-effective clearing?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Aumanor posted:

Enemies only drop their own class coins and the ALL-class coins. Also, the anti-class CEs boost the drop rate of the coins of the class the equipped servant counters, i.e. one equipped on a Lancer will increase the amount of Archer coins dropped.

Ah. I always took the anti-class thing to mean that it'd boost drops of what the equipped servant is weak to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Support Merlin + your own Merlin = I'm practically NPing every turn, generating a ton of stars and NP gauge each time I do it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Roll for best Artoria, get Gorgon instead. This cursed luck.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Greenscreen assassin best assassin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Too bad I have no idea how to turn this into an avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Endorph posted:

Keep in mind that Rin had to blow every single gem she had to kill hercules once, and she'd been supplying some of those gems with mana daily for upwards of ten years. It really isn't something she could do on demand.

The way Magi vs Servants work is that if the Magus can play to their specialties and bust out their gimmick they could probably take out a servant, but that's much different than being able to fight a servant equally. Shirou beat Gil because UBW is a hard counter to him, Bazett could only take on servants if she had Avenger's cover and got them to use something she could counter with Fragarach, and Kotomine only managed a draw with Hassan because Hassan's arm didn't work on his corrupted heart. If you swapped it so that, say, Kotomine was fighting Gil and Shirou was fighting Hassan, they'd both get owned.

Plus, everyone usually has a trump card to play so opening up with everything you have just leaves you helpless if their trump card happens to counter it in some way.