Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tsukihime (the VN) is more interesting than 90% of the Fate content out there. :colbert: It's really worth making the judgement on it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

Sakura is not popular! She's also less of a character than a plot device. To that end, I think she serves her role well enough since that led to Heaven's Feel and thus I'm OK with her. Whereas when Saber was given free reign it led to Fate and well yeah.

To be fair I think Saber is sleep-inducing but no single character could have saved Fate and the biggest failure of FSN is it needed over 10 hours of mind-numbingly boring setup for the two actually good routes.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Rodyle posted:

I always feel like Fate gets an underserved bad rap. No it's not as good as UBW but isn't that how it should be? You want things to get better and better over time, it's another reason why I give HF such grief, after how fantastic UBW was we just drop down to pure garbage for 3/4 of the route, it's some of the worst pacing this side of MuvLuv. People say HF is "good" but really they're only talking about the final act of it (which, to be fair, is the best final boss rush in any video game).

Eh, HF does the growing feeling of dread pretty well even though the pacing definitely suffers from unlimited cooking scenes. I can't really excuse Fate as setup for better things given its sheer length.

FSN and Type-Moon works in general are pretty hosed on pacing as a whole though.

"she pulled out the dagger-"
*5 minute break from the plot for a magiphysics lesson on the dagger's power source*

this happens in the middle of the climax of a route

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I'm looking forward to the most is Kirei eating Mapo Tofu.

This but unironically.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

:allears:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Shyrka posted:

The hanafuda minigame in Hollow Ataraxia is oddly compelling, too. Pity it never got any reference in Carnival Phantasm.

I completed all the routes in it. :shepface: What a strange thing to get such a huge amount of detail in a VN.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Twiddy posted:

This is true, but it also has some hilariously bad game design decisions. Like about half the things they added to the game are textbook lessons on what to do in a game (Caster's 1/3rd of the time I lose I actually win what the christ).

To be fair it's really "end the match before caster gets to 20 mp" but there could have been many better ways to execute that

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

MadRhetoric posted:

Is your friend averse to reading, Allarion? If he's not, I'd just tell him to read the drat LP of Fate route. The DEEN adaptation sucked out loud.

:stonk:

The Fate route is 10+ hours of interminably boring setup for the two actually good routes. Please never read it for its own sake.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Endorph posted:

assassin's big moment is at the end of UBW

which isnt saying much but

:frogout:

also his big moment is the reveal that he's some random guy who learned to break reality by being really fuckin bored

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Rewatching F/Z, there's a part where Irisviel is drifting around with a top end sports car.

Ilya has an event in F/HA where she seemingly randomly nerds out about cars.

The continuity :vince:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

What did the Tohsakas even get out of giving Sakura as a weapon to the Matous, or did they just do that because raising one child is enough work :effort:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

How on earth are they going to squeeze 8 more episodes out of the UBW route? They shouldn't have done the episode 0 gimmick.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Honestly I don't think Tsukihime will be have as good of an atmosphere with actual production values, if everything is going to look like FSN instead of surreal not-quite-real-world then ehn

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

rewatched f/z recently and does urobuchi have a huge boner for choking in all of his works because holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Does HF3 keep the moment where Shirou's memory of his final chat with Kiritsugu shatters, erasing the reason he became who he was

'cause that's a contender for the best bit of writing in the VN