Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Turns out this is a bad season for making me want to replay past VNs. Grisaia, Fate, and now Tsukihime. Though I guess that last one's not the season's fault really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Been a while, but iirc, a Dead end means Shirou died, a Bad End is an ending where he doesn't necessarily die, but the path he's set on isn't one that will end happily.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ArkhamPraetor posted:

Was it ever established whether Sakura or Shinji set up the blood fort? Sakura said she didn't give Shinji her command spells until she saw Shirou's, but that happened on the way to school the day Rin notices it.

I think it was Rider on Shinji's orders. Pretty sure Sakura gave over command earlier than that, as the scene where Shirou notices the "bruises" of her lost command spells preceded Sakura noticing his forming.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

remind me - how much of how the fourth grail war played out was established in F/SN versus F/Z?

Basically just how it ended, iirc. I think Saber gives Shirou the account she can towards the end of Fate, and Kotomine fills in a bit more with his posturing after you know he's the villain. Ilya tells you a little bit more in HF.

I haven't watched today's episode, but did they have Saber enter the church with Shirou for some reason? She stayed outside in the VN, probably so she could not meet Kotomine early. Also no one but her has any idea yet that she's the same Saber that fought in the 4th war.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

She stayed outside, but she also told the two of them that she was summoned into this era before. And that she has a past history with Kirei.

Yeah, unless I'm misremembering (I could certainly be, its been over a year since the last time I read the VN), that normally doesn't happen this early.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

Probably my favourite thing about UBW and HF is that we see the two servants who get punked early on in Fate (Lancer and Rider) get to be totally awesome on screen.

Eh, Lancer lasts about as long in Fate as in UBW, and does an awesome thing, but it sadly happens offscreen.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Gil says at some point that he doesn't actually need Kotomine's soul farm thanks to getting doused with grail curse juice, but he eats them anyway just because that's the way he rolls.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They're probably saving All the Ills in the World for some point where he actually does something villainous, and that's basically a more dramatic mix of the same song.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Angry Grimace posted:

I doubt that will exist in English though. I don't think you can get a translation of any T-M stuff legally, right?

While this post is correct, the all ages patches to the English version of F/SN were made by importing stuff from the console ports, so it's far from impossible. It'll likely just take goddamn years unless someone licenses it officially.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

This always made me wonder if it was possible to have two of the same servants in a war.

Unless there's some arbitrary restriction on that in some piece of media I haven't read, it should be, technically. iirc, servants are effectively copied from the hall of heroes (or whatever it was called) when summoned, rather than actually resurrected. It'd be kind of funny to see a war made up entirely of Fate Lancers, as he's got the qualifications to be any class but assassin.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 25, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

They could be saving it for Nine Bullet Revolver...

That's an HF scene, isn't it?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still disappointed that the next episode previews aren't Tiger Dojo.

For F/Z they used it for some dvd bonus content, I kinda assume they'll do the same with this.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
She can't since she's not actually dead. Or something like that.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Crossposted from the UBW thread:

Dessel posted:

Even having played the VN, I don't really get the line in the first or second episode about Rin saying "Why did it have to be you?" Err, was she supposed to be on friendly terms with him? Because I thought they only were acquaintances? What, she had a crush on him or something?

She didn't really have a crush per se on him, but she was aware of him. Firstly there's the thing in HF where she talks about having witnessed him trying over and over again to do that high jump or whatever it was, and she had some interest in him as a person from that. Secondly, she was aware that he was quite close to Sakura and that him dying would make her sad.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Unless its a new line or a differently translated one, I had never noticed Archer outright saying he already knows the grail is evil before either

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

That's still well under 50%. To say that Fate Shirou "becomes Archer" is a bit odd.

"Archer is from the Ilya route" is one of those things people keep repeating on no real basis. People seem to really want Archer to be a pedo for some reason.

If anything, I think he's from the Ciel route. (Only half joking.)

I think the theory came from the fact that he recognized the corrupted grail shadow monster when it appeared in HF, and since HF had elements of the abandoned Ilya route in it and obviously HF Shirou can't become Archer and Fate/UBW Shirous never saw the grail beast, you could theorize that it'd have to have been some 4th route.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rider's identity doesn't get revealed until HF, so unless you want to wait, do that. Or someone here can spoil you. Her identity is probably the biggest stretch, as while she was associated with what she rides when we see her riding in the VN, I don't think she was really known for riding said thing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They gave her some sort of vampiric traits that I don't really whether there's any mythological basis for, but I think she's just a decent mage along with the other stuff.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can't say I've heard of that, but it was a fan translation rather than something that's ever been sold so

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Stevefin posted:

Now if only Crunchyroll would behave and work today

Its running slow as hell for me today for whatever reason. I usually don't have issues.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

"Stature" and "heretic" are rather ambiguous words here, but I take it to mean that a totally ordinary person who happens to have magic circuits can't become a Master; you have to be a weirdo like Shirou or Ryunosuke. Note that even the people who managed to become Masters without magic circuits (by taking other people's Command Spells) were someone who knew about magi and wanted to be one since childhood (Shinji) and two amoral :geno: people (Kuzuki and Reika). For some reason the Nasuverse doesn't seem to do stories about ordinary people discovering the supernatural.

Well Shinji's not technically a master. Kuzuki is a weird case too, I forget what his deal was but he wasn't the one who summoned caster, she contracted with him after killing the guy who did summon her. Neither were chosen by the grail in any way.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aumanor posted:

Not really certain on this one, but I've always though that it was Archer's pendant that made Rin summon him.

They both have the same pendant, basically. He gave his back to her after she uses hers on Shirou and he realizes finally where it came from, and Shirou keeps the one she left.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first one I think was the showdown between Lancer and Archer where Lancer throws Gae Bolg and Archer projects that shield thing. Think the other one was Berzerker's death.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Allarion posted:

So my friend wants to watch the Studio Deen version of Fate Stay night so he can see the Fate route animated while waiting for the 2nd cour of Unlimited Blade Works. He's already seen Fate/zero so he knows those big reveals. I've never watched the Deen version, so are there any spoilers for UBW in it that got added in? I doubt he'll play the visual novel, so that's not really an option.

Not really. There's a nod to UBW existing, but you don't really see much of it or learn how its relevant. Its been a few years so I could be forgetting something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Was Assassin guarding the temple gate a command spell order? It's been a while.

I don't recall if it ever specified it was a command seal rather than just an order but probably.