Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Silver2195 posted:

Medea (Caster):
• The idea that Medea’s love for Jason was the result of Aphrodite’s mind control is one of the few things that strike me as a mistake rather than deliberate creative license. I suspect Nasu was thinking of Helen of Troy.
• For that matter, the extent to which Aphrodite’s influence in mythology in general is truly external “mind control” or more of a personification of a human tendency toward irrational love is debatable, but in the Odyssey Helen seems to portray herself as a victim of mind control.
• The idea that Medea had a dagger capable of breaking magical contracts has no basis in mythology that I was able to find, and Nasu says that he invented Rule Breaker as a weapon that fit Medea’s treacherous personality, but Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series seems to have come up with the same idea independently.

No, I remember the story of Jason involving Aphrodite getting Eros to shoot Medea with his arrows. Looking it up confirms it with Hera and Athena convincing Aphrodite to help them out in supporting Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blhue posted:

For F/Z they used it for some dvd bonus content, I kinda assume they'll do the same with this.

Surprisingly it had a nice heart-touching story in there for something that is basically gags and trivia.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I watched Carnival Phantasm for the first time last week, and regretted not having watched it sooner. I immediately made my friend watch it because it is a gift that deserves to be shared.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So my friend wants to watch the Studio Deen version of Fate Stay night so he can see the Fate route animated while waiting for the 2nd cour of Unlimited Blade Works. He's already seen Fate/zero so he knows those big reveals. I've never watched the Deen version, so are there any spoilers for UBW in it that got added in? I doubt he'll play the visual novel, so that's not really an option.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I just told him to wait till UBW is over if he's really that curious about Fate, and to just stick to Jojo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tonfa posted:

Rewatching F/Z, there's a part where Irisviel is drifting around with a top end sports car.

Ilya has an event in F/HA where she seemingly randomly nerds out about cars.

The continuity :vince:

F/Z came out after F/HA, and might have been written in parallel to it. There's a lot of little F/Z references in it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think I actually like F/HA more than F/SN, but that's mostly because it is mostly silly shenanigans, and the little story it has is decent.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Apocron posted:

Anyone else here gonna try out Grand Order when it releases?

If it's a decent phone game (I assume it'll be gatcha like every other phone game), and if it's translated I'd probably try it. Still haven't felt like making a Japanese itunes account just to play Japanese phone games, but I know a bunch of other goons do it for certain gatcha games, since the Japanese versions tend to be more generous with premium currency than the global versions.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only way I can think of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia being adapted is basically just do it like Higurashi, but the big issue is that all the "filler" is actually thematically important. Course, all that filler is good anyways and any adaptation that tries to take itself seriously is a bad adaptation.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, uh, "shielder?" I'm confused.

Shielder always existed as a planned concept since the original F/SN, but was dropped like all those other planned routes for F/SN. Basically the opposite to Saber.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dawgstar posted:

Is it the first 'here is the Fate characters you like, mostly just hanging out' example of the franchise?

Most expanded stuff came from H/A in general. Even a lot of fate/zero stuff we originally learned from H/A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
HA is arguably the more influential one in terms of all the fan memes and other important references that the series has had ever since, as well as development of all the characters that died before they could in the original proper. Also the main source of the details of Zero's plot before Zero was fully written down I believe.