Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
It looks like the last several pages are nothing but F/GO chat, but I have a question about Nasu, or, more specifically, his writing style. Having recently finished reading mahoyo, I went around looking for some discussion about it, and while doing so, I've found a lot of people saying that his writing style is unusual or difficult to read. I've heard the same thing before in relation to other Type Moon stuff too, not just mahoyo. I've even seen one comment that said "Nasu is basically a Japanese e e cummings". Is his writing really that unusual? I don't find it particularly hard to read or all that different from the other Japanese stuff I've read, but maybe that's because I'm a gross otaku nerd and I hardly read anything but VNs and LNs. Maybe it's different from other, less anime Japanese fiction.

If his writing really is that weird, I'd love to see an example or two so I can see what people are talking about. I've read most Type Moon stuff except for Kara no Kyoukai and the Fate/Extra games, so as long as it's not a spoiler for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Kyte posted:

I vaguely recall a moonspeaker saying that Nasu tends to write, like, not complicated, but fancy, with a certain sense of poetry to the narration that got totally butchered in the translation.

BlitzBlast posted:

All I really remember being unique about Nasu's writing is that the man is a real fan of the dramatic. This dude did not just turn around, he spun his body around faster than anyone in the world has ever or will ever be capable of...!

This is the kind of feeling I got. The "Japanese e e cummings" quote was probably a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not sure if it's because it's objectively good writing, or perhaps more likely just because I'm a big nerd, but I eat that kind of poo poo up. Scenes like that which stick out in my mind as cool as gently caress are (F/HA spoilers) the climax of F/HA when Saber uses Excalibur on the shadow monsters trying to climb the building or (F/SN Heaven's Feel spoilers) Shirou killing Berserker alter with his own sword. The relative lack of writing like that in Tsukihime may be part of why I didn't enjoy it as much as the Fate series.

There are some examples of what I think are legitimately good writing, though, like the occasional really clever use of furigana over normally unrelated kanji, or (more F/HA spoilers) when Avenger was possessing Shirou, his first person pronoun was written as オレ instead of 俺. I didn't notice that happening until the very end, and when I did finally figure it out, the realization hit me like a loving ton of bricks.