Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*looking at an extremely talented artist whos been in the industry for nearly 30 years* this person sucks poo poo because *minor complaint in one minor piece of art*

criticism is fine but there's no need for dramatic sweeping statements like 'he cant draw hands' or 'all his characters look the same'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

calling nasu a terrible writer because of the one bad ending in fsn where rin is mildly out of character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf that gil outfit was specifically removed from fsn because it looked bad, and only shows up in 'canon' because fha made an entire running gag out of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

garden of avalon was interesting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

which saber's bare breasts do you like the most
lancer artoria alter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats a weird way to say you've preemptively bookmarked search character: morgan le fay on doujin sites.

Motto posted:

I recently read through Tsukihime and since I already know about the VNs and games that follow or spring from it, I was wondering about what manga people would recommend, for any reason. Not looking for anything specific beyond sketching in or playing around with the characters in ways that people find particularly interesting or fun.
this is months late but i know the melty blood manga is really good. backalley alliance nightmare gets a little metafictional in a weird way but has fun character interactions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

It was great except for that though. Was Zouken's origin story in the VN? I don't remember that at all either.
He mentions it, and there's a very brief flashback just before he dies, but all that's shown in the flashback is Justeaze, the Einzbern woman he was in love with. The movie expanded it a bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Nasu is writing fanfiction about his OCs'

Yes. He is. Thats what fiction is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, 'medusa uses her legend to a lesser degree?' shes a somewhat underexplored character in fsn but her entire character and motivation is probably the most tied to her legend of anyone, even more than saber. her sole motivation is protecting a girl who was sexually abused, given monstrous powers, and who, if shirou was a 'hero' in the sense he wants to be, hed have killed upon realizing what she was. sakura's medusa, medusa is sakura. its the entire thematic beat of heaven's feel and its tied solely into medusa's legend. the game never explicitly makes this connection but i think its obvious enough it wouldn't gain anything from shirou going 'thats right... this is just like...' and then a flash to full gorgon medusa or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Varinn posted:

the most important herc lore is that bit from some apocrypha materials where they talk about how the greek grail war never got to start because everyone killed each other trying to get the heracles catalyst
the apocrypha materials have some fun worldbuilding. i like that so many mages have wanted knights of the round table that literally any artifacts or historial sites vaguely associated with them are picked clean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rule breaker makes sense thematically for both medea and the story. medea shouldnt be allowed a happy ending, yet she wants one. the rule is broken. etc. like yeah its not an actual mythological thing but have you ever heard the myth of gilles's magic cthulhu spells, either. no. but it makes sense cause gilles was a hosed up wizard, and with the stance on his arc that zero takes. guy was broken because jeanne died, he gazed too long and too greedily, etc, cthulhu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, even as the masters understand it, the grail ritual isn't complete until all the servants are dead. Even if Caster faked her death, it'd be a pretty easy tell when the grail isn't popping up. Winning the war was her best way out.

Of course, you're still correct in that winning the war wasn't really her objective and she didn't make that quite clear to Kuzuki.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I wonder if the fact that the christian God is still widely worshiped while the likes of Zeus, Odin or Quetz aren't has something to do with it.
yeah, its this. the people who arent worshipped anymore have less power in modern times than the people who are. christianity is the most widely spread and sincerely practiced theistic religion in the modern day so artifacts associated with the Big G have way more power even in the hands of regular humans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmjsJtweUQA

15 minute tsuki remake presentation, main points of interest are some new CGs and the new VAs being announced for arihiko and sacchin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nrook posted:

I just watched The Green Knight. Good movie!

Is the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ever referenced in any of the Fate deuterocanon? I don’t think Saber ever mentions it in FSN.
i think its briefly mentioned in some infobook stuff about gawain in fgo/fe, but i dont think it's ever gone into any real depth about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

According to what I've read no one at Type-Moon has any idea what has and hasn't been localized in english

yeah when fate grand order was coming out in english one of the aniplex guys was doing an interview and the conversation literally went

Interviewer: It's nice to see a fate project getting an official release.
Aniplex guy: You guys got Fate/Extra CCC, didn't you?
Interviewer: No, only the original Fate/Extra.
Aniplex guy: Huh. Well, I'm sure the original VN wasn't very popular, but -
Interviewer: No, we never got that, either, just the various anime adaptations.
Aniplex: Huh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are they not removing the... The you know, from the Remake like they did with the PSP port of FSN?
are you five years old

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Cool, I'm just a huge dweeb who wants to know what's happening in Melty Blood, and thought that just reading Wikipedia may ruin a somewhat interesting story.
yeah the manga's fine. if youre gonna do that id recommend reading the melty blood manga, too, its solid and fleshes out the story a lot

that said keep in mind the tsuki remake changes a fair few things, to the point of introducing new characters and getting rid of some who were in the original vn, and the manga is an adaptation of the original tsukihime. the new melty is based on the remake. you'll still get the broad strokes of what tsukihime is, mind, and the new melty takes place in the middle of the remake so it won't be as spoiler heavy, but worth noting the tsuki remake isnt just an hd port.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also Type-Lumina was confirmed to be a prequel to TsukiRe.

And also the original Melty Blood follows the non existent Satsuki Route so it's not like it's going to make absolute sense even after reading the original :v:
The sacchin route thing is mostly just a joke to explain why it takes place in a stable status quo for a game where no route ends with everyone alive and in the same place as they started. The actual way to take it is that Shiki resolved all the outward conflicts from the antagonists and now everyone's just kinda bumming around in the same city. it makes perfect sense if you know what everyone's deals are, you can extrapolate what happened pretty easily.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Speaking of VNs, is that fangame Fate/Empire of Dirt any good? It has an incomplete translation and a sequel got announced.
ive heard its alright but rpetty fanficcy - lots of overly long extrapolation of minor details, the canon characters are more based on their fandom versions than how they're actually written, etc - but as far as fanfic goes it's decent.

havent played it myself tho, just giving my friends thoughts secondhand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucc10BRCtcM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VNs also tend to have an extremely long tail, so hitting 140k in its first week is a really good sign for its lifetime sales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least the green knight is confirmed to exist so they could bring him in down the road. there's a lot of secondary/third string knights of the round table who have been pretty explicitly confirmed to not exist due to not being included when they list all the knights of the round table

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

fate can and will basically include whoever when they want to, people not feeling like having them in stories is the issue as opposed to not being acknowledged or whatever.

Which indicates that as it stands he probably won't show up because nobody writing wants to include him for whatever reason, it's not like his odds are significantly better than king cador or whoever. It's a distinction without a difference.
all im saying is that fate is at present unlikely to include dinadan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

believe hes hmentioned in the fate grand order materials book in reference to gawain's belt of bertilak skill in game. so also a very passing mention, but passing mentions have led to content before. for instance, there's a fair few random mythological/historical figures mentioned in fate/hollow ataraxia. not just ones related to the existing cast, but completely random ones like blackbeard, anne and mary, caesar, and siegfried. all of them, of course, would go on to show up later.

rather than it being a clear cut case of like, not mentioned = could never appear, it's more like being mentioned implies they're actively on their radar. i doubt the random offhand mention of blackbeard in f/ha was set up for fgo, its probably more like nasu had considered him being a servant as a random thought, meaning that thought was in the back of his mind when selecting the launch servants for fgo. likewise, the green knight being mentioned, however offhandedly, means that the thought's at least floating around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Interesting. FSN could definitely do with one. Based off the screenshots they posted I think it could do with another pass through but it definitely comes across less stilted than the mirror moon one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He said 'resources,' not 'money.' Nasu is very meticulous and would want to go over things himself. He's very busy with FGO, Type Lumina, and the second part of the Tsuki remake. No amount of money can fix that. Ryukishi07 is pretty hands off with the Higurashi mobage and it is also not nearly as big, and he's only currently working on Ciconia.

This isn't some obscure secret he literally says in that interview that the issue is that he doesn't have enough time not that he doesn't have enough money or manpower. I think people also overestimate how much of FGO's gacha money Type-Moon actually sees. Of course, it's still an extremely profitable company relative to its operating costs, but the vast majority of the money is going to sony and delightworks, not type-moon. Type-Moon is just licensing the property out to them, plus whatever money Nasu and Takeuchi get paid for writing and illustrating it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

It sounds like you can almost think of it like an alternate timeline; is it still set in the same year it was before or did they move it up to be more modern day?
it's modern day, and they also moved the setting. the city in the remake is a bigger city versus the small town of the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I remember reading a possibly apocryphal story about how Nash didn't actually remember offhand FSN never had an English release. It's probably just not a high priority.

I should re read the original tsukihime, by the time I'm done there might be a patch for for remake so I can compare.
It wasn't Nasu, it was one of the Sony people when FGO was getting released in the US.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no the fate/extra anime is also just not great at actually communicating the story and inexplicably seems designed and aimed at people who have already played fate/extra

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I played all the three routes of F/E and was confused at that anime from start to finish

tbh yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like half the people who are excited for this as a replacement for a tl of the game are going to be surprised to learn that shizuki exists and is important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nasu has said mahoyo was mostly just a nostalgia trip thing for him and it kinda shows in how slice-of-lifey it is. its cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends how much new writing there is if its taking up any of nasus time, probably

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems pretty easy to pick up on the meaning if you understand the basic concept of 'historical/mythological figures summoned into modern day'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, they show these characters in a bunch of historical looking scenes, then they show a bunch of modern scenes, then they show a bunch of hands reaching for them, and them being restored to their former glory. what does this mean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

kind of hate that F/GO just 'locks in' so many historical figures and names for the sake of the gacha. So any other publications or writers don't have a chance to write their own servants in an actual new anime or series because F/GO already did the interpretation first.
FGO's writing is done by a whole bunch of people, though. And human history is extremely broad. If anything, FGO taking a lot of the obvious figures forces other people to get more creative.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's entire regions of the world FGO's barely touched. They've never done a single Korean servant in FGO, there's only a handful of African servants, there's only a single Vietnamese servant and a ton of other SEA countries are completely untouched. The vast, vast majority of Servants in FGO are European, American, or Japanese in origin, with small subgroups of Chinese and Indian ones.

There's 195 countries in the world today. By my count 40 of them are represented in FGO, accounting for mythological/historical locations that became somewhere else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

well theres probably a reason for that
they could do korean mythological figures to avoid uncomfortable historical stuff but ofc there'd be a lot of pressure not to screw it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FSN also makes it clear that Shirou has such little magical energy that he's nerfing her. That's why she becomes Rin's servant in UBW.