Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

On the advice of the first page of this thread, I've watched all of Carnival Phantasm.

It was pretty fun! I have no experience whatsoever with Tsukihime, so pretty much all the in-jokes and most of the cast for that one went over my head, but even then, it was still funny to watch the craziness of them all bouncing off each other and the Fate/Stay Night cast. Plus I finally get the joke from a forums avatar I saw here a long time ago because of the Afterschool! Alleyway Alliance segments.

:rip: Lancer. You were too pure for this sinful earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Freak Futanari posted:

It is haram to watch Carnival Phantasm without having played Tsukihime

Yes, I know that it's a harem game, but other than that and Arcueid being some kind of super badass ancient vampire and Shiki having Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, I know pretty much zilch about it. Didn't detract from how enjoyable Carnival Phantasm was, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Remember that time Jack the Ripper was turned into an undead monstrosity by some lovely vampire and hid inside a horse to ambush the hero who ended up killing him with magical sunlight breathing kung fu?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Fate/Grand Order posted:

Gilles de Rais
Character Info
Height/Weight: 186 cm, 91 kg
Origin: History
Region: France
Alignment: Lawful Good
Slightly scrawny man. Not that hyped up.

... Someone at Type-Moon really does not understand the concept of "good" as it pertains to alignments. At all. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

I want a new Fate spin-off where the winner of the Holy Grail War uses their wish to get a new season of Carnival Phantasm.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Rodyle posted:

I've always liked that Nasu has been explicit about Shiki and Shirou hating one another.

And then in Carnival Phantasm they become bros due to the shared suffering of having been stupid enough to try dating their entire respective harems in one day without letting the girls catch on. :buddy: :respek: :downs:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

McTimmy posted:

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that dang Sion.

Nah, at the very least Shirou was busted as soon he tried to sneak out on Sakura the first time; rewatch the episode and you can spot her stalking him whenever he's with one of the other girls.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

I would've summoned Perseus. Dude was the only guy in Greek mythology that the universe didn't go out of its way to poo poo Bad Ends all over.

Alternatively, Odysseus. Guy had a lovely time trying to get home after the Trojan War, but he did eventually make it home and reclaim his wife and kingdom.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Actually, now that I think about it, would Perseus even respond to a summons for the HGW? Since the dude got his happily ever after, is there even anything he'd want to wish for? Or would he just be like, "Nah thanks fam, I'm cool just chillin' out here in the Throne of Heroes"?

Also, a friend of mine said he would've gone for Jason, since presumably his Noble Phantasm would be the Fate equivalent of Knights of the Round - just summon all the Argonauts to show up and beat the poo poo out of whoever you're fighting. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Stairmaster posted:

Gilgamesh is a good boy

But only by the standards of his own era.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Silver2195 posted:

Edit 3: Disappointingly, ORT does not have a listed weight. Nrvnqsr Chaos is 185 pounds, so I guess being made of hundreds of animals smooshed together somehow doesn't affect his weight.

Aren't Nrvnqsr's animals contained within his Reality Marble until he summons them to do stuff for him?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Is the cooking thing just a one-off special for New Year's, or is this going to be a legit full season anime of Shirou cooking good food for friends?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Hommando posted:

Can Satsujinki kill servants? If he kills them does the progenitor servant still get the memories?

Last I heard, the official answer to the question was that Shiki Tohno wouldn't be able to perceive a Servant's lines/points of death with his version of the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. Shiki Ryougi would be able to perceive them, but even then she's still just a normal human and not a Servant, so she would really only be able to fight defensively since even the weakest Servant still has superhuman physical abilities.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Yes, I'm aware Nasu includes rules explicitly so his characters can break them to demonstrate how badass and/or dangerous they are.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Lt. Lizard posted:

I don't. She is the worst Saber-face. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

One of the Masters in the False Grail War in Fate/Strange Fake is a Dead Apostle whose original wish for the Grail was to wake up Type Mercury so that it could wipe out humanity. Saber from Strange Fake also killed a Dead Apostle during his lifetime.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Bakanogami posted:

IIRC they kinda reference one of the Types (I forget which, the one in South America)

That would be Type Mercury.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

I was surprised by the Fionn mac Cumhaill cameo. But then again, given what the main course for today's meal was, it makes sense that they'd give him a shout out.

Also, Taiga and Lancer would make a cute couple. Just tossin' that out there. :3:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

But which Fate series is the one with the constantly recycled stock footage of the protagonist climbing stairs?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Space Flower posted:

Also, I'm not trying to reverse judge anyone for thinking Jack needs pants but I think her design merits more points than just "it sucks". She's super cute and a lot of details went into making her look and act kind of feral. She has straight-up cat eyes, messy fluffy hair that reminds me of Tama from KanColle (google her if you want, but she's basically a pure-strain "acts like a cat and says nyaa a lot" character), and cheek scars that are lightly evocative of whiskers. Her design is filled with serrated, sharp shapes like her hair and knives, and her tattered coat in f/go; together it does a great job of carrying both the "ripper" aspect and again, making her look cutely feral. The high-contrast color scheme of being blacks and whites with a few brightly-colored accents, is also 'ok hand emoji'. It's moe. please protect jack. thank you

Like, I get that there's a lot of interesting aesthetic choices in the design that help inform the character's personality and the themes and stuff surrounding them... but that doesn't excuse the fact that on the surface level, it's a drawing of an underage girl running around in a thong. All the stuff about her eyes, scars, hair, her weapons, etc. would be conveyed just as well if she were wearing shorts or a skirt or pants or something down there. And since that's primarily going to be one of the first things a person notices about her design, as opposed to all the more subtle elements you've called out, the whole design ends up coming across as pandering to a very specific and disturbing fetish.

So at the end of the day...

Piell posted:

I just want my murder daughter to wear pants

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Completed the main story of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia tonight, got the last few scenes and got the completion up to 100.0%. :toot:

Now to find the time to battle my way through the hanafuda minigame. :shepface:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Maybe instead of Amakusa, we'll get Sherlock Holmes.

Nah, it'll probably be Amakusa.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Extella Link isn't a full sequel, but more of an updated rerelease, then? Kinda like how Persona 3 FES is just Persona 3 with some extra content stapled on?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

UberJew posted:

It's so fun! It reads like an indulgent fanfic, but by the actual author ragging on his own work

e: also nasu held a gun to urobuchi's head and forced him to write something lighthearted for once

Nasu posted:

But during the plotting stage, even though I said, “Write something with a happy ending for once,” first he asked me, “Can’t I have this character kill this other character and end it there?” and he gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero. [laughs] I said, “What kind of festival do you think we’re making here?! Gen, you should believe more in dreams, aspirations, and the bonds between people!” and had him revise the whole thing.

Nasu is great. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Cuntellectual posted:

I've never actually paid attention to Hollow Atraxia, what ending does it work off of?

All three of them. Rin screwed up an experiment involving the Second Magic (which, as you may recall, deals with parallel universes and alternate timelines), and it caused elements and outcomes of all three routes to blend together.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Cuntellectual posted:

I was just thinking about how I didn't really like how Fate/Heaven's Feel worked out for Saber but also didn't like UBW because it left Sakura with the short end of the stick, so HA sounds like my kinda deal.

Yeah I get too invested in anime characters, what subforum do you think this is

Yeah, definitely check out Hollow Ataraxia. About 90% of it is just watching almost the entire cast from Fate/Stay Night doing everyday slice of life stuff, like you see in Carnival Phantasm or Emiya Gohan, it's pretty drat great.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Gen Urobuchi, in the Afterword to Fate/Zero volume 1 posted:

Gen Urobuchi wants to write stories that can warm people's hearts.
Those who know about my creative history will probably furrow their brows and think this is a sick joke. Honestly, I have trouble believing it myself. For when I start typing out words on the keyboard, the stories my brain comes up with are always full of madness and despair.
The truth is, I haven't always been this way. I have often written pieces that didn't have a perfect ending, but by the last chapter the protagonist would still possess a belief that "Although there will be many hardships to come, I still have to hold on".
But ever since I don't know when, I can no longer write works like this.
I have nothing but contempt for the thing men call happiness, and have had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
For all things in the world, if they are just left alone and paid no attention, are bound to advance in a negative direction.
No matter what we do, we can't stop the universe from getting colder, either, and on the same principle. This world is only maintained in existence by a series of logical, common-sense processes; it can never escape the bondage of its physical laws.
Therefore, in order to write a perfect ending for a story you must possess the power to break the chain of cause and effect, invert black and white, and act in complete contradiction to the rules of the universe. Only a heavenly and chaste soul, a soul that resounds with genuine praise for humanity, can save the story; to write a story with a happy ending is a double challenge, to the author's body as well as the mind.
At some point, Gen Urobuchi lost that power. He still hasn't recovered. The "tragedy syndrome" is still continuing within me. Is this a terminal disease? Should I give up on the pure "warrior of love" that I have longed for? Or mount a pallid battle steed and reincarnate into a bearer of the plague... could it be that I can only create pieces that give men courage and hope in my next life? (When I wrote this, I accidentally wrote "courage" as "lingering ghosts". I guess that's what I get for using IME — Ah, I just wrote "IME" as "hatred"... is there no way out of this for me?)

Nasu, in an interview about Grand Order and the Zero collab event posted:

But during the plotting stage, even though I said, “Write something with a happy ending for once,” first he asked me, “Can’t I have this character kill this other character and end it there?” and he gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero. [laughs] I said, “What kind of festival do you think we’re making here?! Gen, you should believe more in dreams, aspirations, and the bonds between people!” and had him revise the whole thing.

Nasu is the best. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

I need context for this subtitle.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

https://twitter.com/typedril/status/989537231185440768

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Stairmaster posted:

I think medea is cute.

I was really disappointed that Medea Lily from FGO doesn't have short hair like the younger Medea from the flashbacks in Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Short-haired young Medea was good civilization.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Dante Logos posted:

I tried it at E3 yesterday. Here are some highlights.

-No more grinding the rank and file to get the vanguard up. Which I think is a major improvement.
-Shadow servants are in. Weaker versions that plants make and some heavier fighters.
-NP charged up naturally and with circuits.
-Skills let you do AoE and line attacks with a recharge time.
Support servants are actually useful.

Things that I think will be a headache:
-Boss servants are beefy HP wise
-PC is a commander and you lose if they are defeated
-Wall guardians indicate to me that locked sectors will be used more.

I only really played one map so I imagine that the way to min max it or the real headaches are unknowns right now.

Does Jeanne's Noble Phantasm still kill her on use?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

It might also be a case like in Fate/strange fake where Zelretch chooses not to intervene because of metaphysical consequences involving the Second Magic.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

AlternateNu posted:

Ah, but which Jojo?

Part 3 Joseph.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Dr Pepper posted:

Also you can't underestimate the morality of wizards.

I can't underestimate it because I would need to see some evidence of it existing first.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Einzbern just want the ritual to succeed

The Einzberns want the ritual to succeed because they want to reach the Root so they can reacquire the Third Magic.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

The biggest question for the Heaven's Feel movies is whether or not they'll do anything with Sparks Liner High.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Endorph posted:

It's just a random bad end, same as any of the others.

Except it's not a bad end. If you get that ending, the game closes out with a card that just says "END" instead of "BAD END" or "DEAD END" like the bad endings do. The following Tiger Dojo even praises Shirou a bit before it gets down to telling you what you should have done to avoid getting the ending, and even then, the feeling of that Tiger Dojo is less "Hey, you screwed up, you idiot" and more, "Hey, you're almost to the grand finale! Just go back and do one thing differently!"

That doesn't necessarily mean it deserves to be in the movies themselves, but as someone else said, it would still be neat to see it as a "deleted scene" or "alternate cut" kind of feature on the blue-ray release.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 11, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Endorph posted:

She said she recorded lines, but she didn't specify when she did, and FGO records lines ludicrously far in advance. Sieg's VA recorded lines before the Apocrypha anime had even started airing, and it was like a year before he was in the game. Aoi Yuuki recorded lines for Okita Alter at the same time she recorded lines for Okita, and Okita Alter was added like 2 and a half years after regular Okita. I wouldn't be surprised if they have recorded dialogue for a lot of characters laying around, like Bazett and Caren.

Didn't Sakura Tange's imdb profile or some other site list one of her roles in FGO as "Mother Harlot" at some point before being taken down? Which means they probably already have lines recorded for a future Nero Alter character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dream Super Combo

Just when I thought they couldn't top last month's Emiya Gohan scene of Berserker getting cookies...