Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just started up Fate/Extella. The translation seems to be noticeably worse than Fate/Extra, and the gameplay is kinda mediocre, so I guess I'm really relying on Tamamo and Nero to carry it (which they successfully did in Extra so I'm hopeful). A few initial thoughts:

What the gently caress is Tamamo wearing and who thought that it would look good
This is by far the most lesbian game I have ever played, by like a huge margin
I feel like I'm supposed to recognize Elizabeth, but I don't. Is she from CCC? Is she from some sort of idolmaster ripoff spinoff I haven't heard of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

InfinityComplex posted:

Liz is from CCC yes.

You should look into CCC. A lot of your upcoming questions will be answered by that.

I thought it didn't have a translation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'll take my chances on being horribly confused then I guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

this is the real reason you should check out ccc

I eagerly look forward to the never-coming fan patch if it manages to be more lesbian than, in the first hour, having a fade-to-black implied lesbian sex scene, the two girls being unable to look at each other without blushing during a normal conversation, and everything about how Hakuno describes being worn by Saber

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know nothing about FGO other than that I'm gonna play it when it's in English and if Tamamo is in the initial launch I will reroll for her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

there are no less than three tamamos you can get

I'm glad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

Two of the Tamamo were later additions but you can get her waifu berserker version as one of the guaranteed 4* Servants from your first roll

hm I might like that version less enough to wait until the normal version is in to start and get rerolling

I will decide when the game comes out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a resource that shows the history of how servants were added to the game? Cursory googling only shows the current full roster.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/servant_all.php#nav

The servant order is most recent to earliest, but if you click id it resorts them to be the other way around. Any limited servants or enemy specific servants will have their specified limited pick up events listed on the right side of their profile. Any servants who got added during story chapters as permanent don't really get their debut listed. if you wanna ask about anything wrt that then just ask and someone will prob have an answer for you. It's usually pretty easy to guess when certain servants got dropped but for something like Cu Alter or Taiga, you're gonna probably be scratching your head.

Trying to guess by ID number, it looks like caster Tamamo was in the first wave of non-base servants? Her and Iskandar are the only ones I like head and shoulders above the general cast and I'm guessing he's both pretty far out and basically impossible to actually get, again guessing from the table without actually understanding how the game works.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sorry to fill the thread with long-form plans for how to reroll for a game that isn't even out yet, but I assume that 5* means "you will not get this without whaling or rerolling while it's available", 4* means "maybe, if you're lucky" and anything below that means "why would you even want this?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

People aren't spending their money to get bronze, is basically it. They're stating to barely drop 3* servants for that matter since Taiga was our last 3* BACK IN DECEMBER. Servant rarity has been generally getting weirder what with the EoR 5* so far all being limited, the only new servants being dropped are gold, and even the face servants they showed in the key art aren't all 5*. We might be waiting until the 2.0 storyline to get new silver servants if at all, it's pretty drat weird.

It's fine, dude. 5* are all 1% rolls basically, you WILL be rerolling for a while if you want anything specific out of them unless you are lucky. 4* are 3%, so your chances of getting anything out of that are better. You will quickly become familiar with the 3* roster though as that's most of what you'll be seeing when rolling since they have a 40% chance of dropping. Servant rarity in this game is weird, rarity does not actually determine ultimate utility in a servant. Gold servants are always gonna outdo bronze servants in stats, but some bronze servants have unique skills and NPs that can lend themselves to supporting a team in a number of ways. The same goes for silver ofc. Like, I can't think of any scenario where I would realistically tell you to use someone like Fionn over Cu Lancer, because Cu's skills, survivability, and raw power NP all put him above Fionn who at best can be used in an arts team for wave clearing and not much else due to his skill synergy being bad and his NP and damage in general not being particularly amazing.

It all comes down to a servant to servant basis, but generally 4 and 5* do better than most of the lower ranked servants, but this is also due to the fact that there are just more gold servants in the game in general. Do note that thanks to Holy Grails, you can raise the level cap of a servant of any class once you hit their natural cap and some lower rank servants do benefit a lot from being grailed to 100.

Thanks. I was prepared to be shocked by how much worse the gacha is than Fire Emblem Heroes (6% chance of highest rarity, lower rarity characters can be upgraded given enough time, f2p rolls come often and it's only $2 for a character if you pay) but that's pretty dire.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
More Extella thoughts:

Endorph in the RPG thread was not kidding about how much Archimedes gabs on. Seriously he will not shut up
Even if I didn't know Altera was Atilla I would have figured it out. There's only one Scourge of God
I thought Nero was MC-sexual but she's drooling all over Atilla so I guess she's just bi (assuming she's all over male Hakuno too)
The game could really stand to be just a little bit harder. Hyrule Warriors is the only Musou game I've played before, but the interesting part of that game wasn't the combat, it was the unrelenting nature of every battle, where there's five fires to put out at all times but only one of you, and you can't just ignore the problems and do your own thing like you mostly can in Extella

I never played Extra with Emiya, is he just as gay for a male Hakuno as Tamamo and Nero are for female Hakuno?

Thanks!

quote:

tbh I prefer FGO because FEH's has been a) actively hateful to me and b) the nature mechanic can ruin an otherwise okay to great roll (I just rolled a -Atk +HP Sanaki ffffffff) and c) Since characters are designed to be promotable to 5* their combat power is nerfed if you don't get them at 5*, with no expectations of improvement (because you can just save feathers and promote them yourself). Whereas FGO puts an effort in making characters across all rarities useful, because they're stuck at their rarity.

I like IVs because it promotes a more varied arena, and I like promotion because it's like getting a guaranteed 5* role once every few weeks. I can definitely see why you might not like it though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

there's actually dialogue addressing that

"I'm a villain, you know? Evil! I played the good girl for so long, but now that I have power, it's only natural that I abuse it!"

or something to that effect. it's a good thing for her character honestly, I like when she leans into her being one of japan's greatest monsters instead of cute fox wife.

anyway, fate/extella 2 should just be a musou version of the camelot arc from f/go.

I just read the wiki page on (the mythical) Tamamo and I am extremely worried for Hakuno now

Things do not end well for Tamamo's husbands

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even in Extra I recall her being really mean-spirited towards everyone but the MC. "Devoted" is the nice way of describing her behavior but "a would-be bully who doesn't have enough power over her would-be victims to actually bully them" seems like a reasonable assessment. I haven't unlocked her route in Extella but if she acts the same way to her allies that she does to her enemies then it's not unfair at all.

Personality-wise she really really reminds me of a dog--in this case, a guard dog. Extremely devoted to her master, lives for her master's praise, but will bark and bite at anybody who even remotely resembles a vague threat to them, even if it's completely unwarranted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nasu coming out strong for the theory that the Huns are descendants of the Xiongnu I see

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm almost done with Nero's route in Extella and I've finally put my finger on something that's bothering me: Saber doesn't feel like Nero. She's a fine character (I don't even really mind her being thirsty as gently caress), but why even associate her with a historical person if she isn't anything like him? If all I knew was she was a Roman, I would guess Hadrian, Pompey, and maybe Augustus ahead of Nero.

If I were to identify the salient parts of Nero (or at least, how he's portrayed by the judgmental Roman historians of the next few generations which is more or less all we have), I'd say:

--He was an artist (not just an appreciator of art like Saber)
--He probably would have been happier if he were never emperor
--He was greedy (e.g., buying up all the burned land after the fire in Rome to build a bigger palace)
--He was generally swept along by the flow of history, rather than controlling it

Aside from maybe the greed I just don't see any aspects of what made Nero different from any other Roman emperor in Saber.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

all those traits are actually emphasized in her in extra and extra ccc and her brief appearances in f/go, extella is just kind of a not greatly written game in some areas

That's fair, it's been forever since I played Extra with her and I never played CCC. It still bothers me about Extella.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
LAtest Fate/Extella thought:

I enjoy that only like 50% of the things that are in Hakuno's monologue are things she actually says out loud, but that every single time she mentally dunks on Elizabeth she says it straight to her face

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I (finally) finished Tamamo's route in Fate/Extella. Tamamo remains The Best, shame Extra and Extella are both so mediocre

I don't think I'm gonna do Altera's route, I think 2/3 of it is enough Extella for one lifetime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have decided that I will play at launch, not roll a single time, and hope that saving that gives me enough luck for Tamamo when she comes out. I will reroll at that time if necessary. If they gently caress with the release order for servants I would consider doing the same thing for Iskandar. Other than those two I will make new favorites from whoever impresses me as I play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Why is [Insert Historical Figure Here] a girl now

I like how there's all this justification in F/SN for why king arthur was a girl and it actually makes sense even if it's kinda dumb but then at some point (Extra? earlier than that?) they just decided genderswapped servants was a thing that happens and stopped caring about why

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nasu should have stuck with female MC and male Saber

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tsukihime Kohaku is only alright, but Melty Blood Kohaku truly is the best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The true sin of the CCC designs is that they're ugly not that they're booby

Of course I haven't played the game so maybe Endorph will come and tell me that the ugly outfits make a deep and meaningful point

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was thinking of bride saber more than the sakuras but I'd believe you if you told me that one was supposed to be unappealing too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NRVNQSR posted:

Fortunately CCC adds selectable servant costumes so you don't have to look at their bizarre new fashion choices for very long.

That said I don't mind Saber Bride's; it has a slight Kill Bill feeling to it that I kind of like. Caster's default CCC outfit is way more :what:.

I didn't remember what that one looked like so I looked it up and I actually kinda like it. It's worse than her extra outfit but better than her transformed extella outfit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Extella isn't that fun even as a plotless warriors game tbh, and the plot is bad. If you want able girls to mention how much they want to gently caress you every five lines it's good for that though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stopped playing after tamamo's route and I don't regret it

I think 2/3 of extella is enough for one lifetime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first third is setup for character stuff that does pay off but I wouldn't blame you for thinking it wouldn't when Hakuno's response is "that's my Tamamo! Oh that wacky Tamamo :downs:"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Tamamo's gameplay seemed fine I don't see the issue

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
With all the VNs on steam these days I'm kinda surprised an official release of realta nua hasn't materialized

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was mahoyo good

I assumed it must have been a (relative) flop because I didn't hear anything about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite part is when Kiritsugu kills his mom in an episode that aired on mother's day

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 28, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually Fate/Zero is cool because it's animated by UFOTable and has music by Kajiura, and has noted cool characters Saber, Rider, Waver, and Gilgamesh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
F/GO did not seem particularly fun through fuyuki (so not very far obviously but enough to understand the basic gameplay) and I'm already knee deep in another mobile game so I quit despite how excited I was for it. A shame.

e: if people are saying it's the kind of game that takes a bit to click maybe I'll go back

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

it is every explained why all these historical figures are suddenly large chested anime babes

cheetah7071 posted:

I like how there's all this justification in F/SN for why king arthur was a girl and it actually makes sense even if it's kinda dumb but then at some point (Extra? earlier than that?) they just decided genderswapped servants was a thing that happens and stopped caring about why

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm still not sure if Tamamo calling you "husband" regardless of gender is supposed to be a character thing, or a translation shortcut they try to pass off as a character thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thuryl posted:

It's a combination of character thing and slightly odd translation choice. She calls you "goshujin-sama", which means "master" in modern Japanese but is also an archaic word for "husband". Given that she specifically aspires to be an ideal wife and (according to some of her conversations in Extra) has a little trouble getting her head around the concept of a same-sex relationship even if she's okay with being in one, it fits her well enough.

Yeah I figured that goshujinsama was probably an archaic word for husband (I knew dannasama which has basically the same literal meaning) but with my limited knowledge of Japanese I assumed that an equally valid interpretation of the word choice was "she's a Japanese spirit, so she sometimes uses the Japanese word instead of masutaa"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't yet watched a ufotable show that wasn't visually impressive and I'm flabbergasted that even the hottest of takes could call deen's visuals better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just rewatched the ufotable Shirous vs Gilgamesh and it was as incredible as I remember it