Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Gilgamesh is Chaotic Good. Therefore we're supposed to agree with his plan to kill everyone. QED.

Gilgamesh is Chaotic Good-Looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

"Hey Tokiomi your daughter is learning magic through the power of dickworms you jackass. No, stop laughing. I'm being serious here."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

There's not a single good reason to try and unify all the TYPE-MOON stuff into a 'single actual world' versus 'alternate universes with shared foundation', given the diversity of storytelling they have going.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

There's no good reason not to, and having stuff like this in a shared universe is fun. You can include little cameos (like Touko and Zelretch in Fate), you can reuse characters, you can offer a glimpse of the continuation of one story in another without constructing a full sequel, and somewhere down the line you can put out a new work where characters from the assorted properties all come together somehow.

There are huge properties like Marvel that basically live off this stuff. It works.

And what's more, they're practically doing it anyway! You still have Arcueid and Shiki as bosses in Fate Extra, you still have servants in FGO refer back to their respective original series, you still have characters who were in the Dead Apostle Ancestors showing up, you still have them all using pretty much the same worldbuilding and rules, and any retcons they offer would work equally well if used in a shared universe. They straight up have a Kara no Kyoukai event in FGO where you can recruit Shiki as a servant. They'll almost certainly have the same thing with Tsukihime characters if they ever finish the Tsukihime remake (lol).

If they're just going to have everything cross over anyway, what's the point in being anally meticulous about making it clear that FSN and Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai and Fate Zero and the El Melloi Case Files and Strange Fake so on are all in separate parallel universes that don't interact with each other? If they want to break canon and do a what-if, they're still perfectly free to do so, like with Extra, Apocrypha, and FGO. I'm just saying they're going too far with it for no good reason.

All breaking every property into it's own split off accomplishes is limits the extent one property can refer to another. So if say, they made some thing where Ciel or Arcuied were to show up in FGO, they couldn't have any references to or build upon the events of Tsukihime because they never happened in the FGO timeline. It also makes it so that when you have one of these characters show up, because their cash cow FGO is based entirely around pulling characters from their other properties, you have to have them dance around the loving point with a "hmm, I have a feeling I remember you even though I don't" schtick that is repeated literally hundreds of times. (Although admittedly that's at least half due to the rule of how summoning from the Throne of Heroes works as explained in FSN. )

Semiramis is coming for Valentine's Day.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Just to be serious for a second, I did not know Semiramis was actually coming out when I made that post.

I apologize for posting true statements in bad faith.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is missing Bazett to be full One Day.

Oh God I loved that series so much.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

astr0man posted:

Heaven's Feel part 1 is reshowing in my city for some reason this weekend so I finally got to see it and it was very good

It's cause MegaBox is doing this thing where they're reairing popular anime movies.

Love Live and SAO and AnoHana and other stuff are also airing.

I know this because I check MegaBox religiously.

http://www.megabox.co.kr/?menuId=event&p=detail&p2=5981

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Shirou: Not injected by bugs, had his Saber turn Alter.
Rin: Not injected by bugs, her Archer (who is also a hypothetical future version of Shirou) turned Alter in FGO.
Sakura & Kariya: Injected by bugs, Lancelot and Medusa have never gone Alter.

Clearly, bugs do not alter you at all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Medusa Lancer Alter was the main antagonist of the First Order OVA!

Dammit.

Well I haven't seen it (or read F/sn or F/ha or even finished UBW) so it doesn't count.

The only Fate anime I have completed is the first Heaven's Feel movie and the Deen anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Same except the popcorn.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Saw HF2 like 1 hour and 45 minutes after the above poster, and as a perpetual Sakura stan who has never played F/sn and only flipped through the game CGs and absorbed most of their Fate knowledge through anime culture osmosis, I found myself more engaged in the plot than the action scenes, and given how stellar the fighting parts were, that's saying something.

I'm also glad each part of Heaven's Feel ends on a more happier and hopeful note, which really has me believing in the possibility of a true happy ending.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Aumanor posted:

I did a double take when I first read this, spent a good while racking my brain thinking of a scene they might have ended the movie on, found the movie online, skipped to the end and finally realised: "right, sarcasm is a thing that exists". Still kind of surprised about the breakpoint they chose, I was almost certain they'd pick another scene to close this part on.

I'm not sarcastic!

HF1 ends up with Shirou coming home to Sakura and realizing that she's The One for him as per standard Hollywood romantic comedy plotlines, and that she'll never leave him.

HF2 ends with Sakura leaving Shirou to shed herself of her dependence on him, confronting and defeating her abuser, and then gets a snazzy makeover to show that she's a newborn person.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Also the Korean advance screening had like 30 minutes of guest time where the VAs for Sakura and Illya came and answered a few pre-chosen questions.

It was dope.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I just, I just want Sakura to be happy.

And I don't care who has to die to make that happen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

thank you for your sacrifice *brings down the knife*

I welcome death if it means Sakura can be with Shirou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Went to watch HF2 a second time since today was its official opening in Korea, and I noticed a buncha stuff that I hadn't previously.

Also, people legit clapped after the movie was over.

In the past 5 years, I've never heard people clapping in a movie theater cause Korean peeps don't really do that jam from my experience, so that was a loving shock to me.

Heck, it's the first time I've ever witnessed an ovation in a theater*.

*Not counting live viewings cause those aren't movies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Space Flower posted:

boy you sure made some potentially embarrassing assumptions there. it would really turn out poorly if it turned out you were trying to 'explain' (out of your rear end) the Asian side of the playerbase to someone in the Asian side of the playerbase. but what are the chances of that? haha

Wait, bored is Asian? I thought he was Korean.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Wark Say posted:

You are quite the drat little rascal, Zep. :mmmhmm:

I am not racist, just Korean.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everyone wants Admiral Yi.

OBVIOUSLY.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Books 6-7 are all about Gray's hometown, going into her background as she and Waver revisit it. Zepia guest stars.

What's this now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

There's the cover. That's him on the left!

I dunno if I should post more concrete spoilers here even with tags since there's still no way to read these arcs in English yet.

I guess I have to watch the anime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I am gonna miss Abridged Sakura. She was my favorite member of the cast.