Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Shinjobi posted:

I demand a link

I'm not 100% sure one is one I'm thinking of, but I find them I'll share!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Yeah I'm like 99% sure its them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Doesn't Mashu have pretty good hands in her kimono Enma-tei outfit?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Arturia is bi, actually. Unfortunately for her, Guinevere happened to be basically the only exclusively straight woman in the Nasuverse...

Wasn't it sorta the reverse though? Wasn't Guin more than okay with it but it was Artoria who felt that Guin deserved more?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

No, my point was that a better leader might have picked better lieutenants. If everyone you promote is a selfish idiot and you have to work yourself to death to fix their poo poo, then there's one extremely obvious common factor. It's a feudal kingdom. Choosing your lords and advisors wisely and letting them take up your burdens is a pretty vital part of your duties, and was historically the secret to success for most of the 'great kings'. A king who tries to personally micromanage their kingdom is badly missing the point.

That's a lot harder than you think it is. When you're the king of a feudal realm you can't just pass over a powerful lord and give it to whoever the best person, what do you think this is, some kind of meritocracy!? They haven't even heard of China probably! IIRC I don't specifically know if the Knights of the Round are also feudal lords in their own right, but historically very often they are powerful local lords and you have to give them important titles, honours and opportunities or its violating the feudal contract.

With a quick google, Agravain is the second eldest son of King Lot of Orkney, as an example if you don't give such a person a position at court, with real responsibilities, then they're going to be out there plotting to take what they think they're owed instead. Or it would hurt relations with King Lot who is married to Arturia's sister, so Lot's a brother in law and Agravain is a nephew; that's a very tricky and difficult situation especially when presumably Agravain, along with all the other "idiot and or selfish" knights are also competent fighters and subordinates most of the time. You can't really afford to snub them and give their titles to someone else. Arturia would literally be stuck trying to make use of their skills to good use, that's the hand she has to play.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Typically in the different takes on the myth, Mordred was able to launch their rebellion because they were left in charge of Camelot while Arthur was out on campaign, because Mordred was the most talented administrator of the Knights.

A very amusing picture when imagining our Mordred. :v:

Tbf, the Servant that gets summoned if often something of a facsimile of the "historical" or "mythological" person. At that point in their life Mordred may very well have been a pretty good administrator when given the opportunity to do so, but since Mordred is always summoned as a Servant for well, to be battling, that aspect which is fairly minimal part of their myth is suppressed in favour of Mordred's exaggerated combativeness.

Like maybe our Mordred is War/Campaign Mordred where their mind has that as their main focus on top of all the dad issues but "at court Mordred" after the campaigning was over (or in the lull between campaigns) got a chance to stretch their legs and reveal some previous untapped potential. So we only have the "slice" of Mordred that begins and ends over a specific period of their life + the betrayal portion.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

While some of that is true, it's worth remembering that not all kings and lords are created equal, and that Artoria created much of her kingdom through conquest - in other words, she did indeed have a certain degree of freedom of choice in who she elevated and who she destroyed. Agravain is actually a good example - the Orkney Isles are nice to have, but neither strategically vital nor especially defensible, and the lords of Orkney have historically only retained their posts at the sufferance of the mainland.

The Round Table wasn't simply a symbol of equality - it was a symbol of equality of those who were allowed to sit at it. It implies unity, but also exclusion.

This isn't necessarily true, not every conquest is like the Norman conquest of England where you can easily replace the local lords with your own lords. Your new lords have to come from somewhere, and in this case you're proving my point, these knights were instrumental to that conquest and were entitled to a share of its spoils, picking someone else was out of the question. And I don't think your appraisal of the strategic value of Orkney is correct for the 6th century AD and vastly underestimating the importance of familiar and royal ties between people of noble blood. Because everyone is interrelated, piss off Orkney and it starts a chain reaction that undermines her rule with the other lords who are likely related to them and will take a dim view of Arturia violating the feudal contract left and right.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I've noticed that's kinda an interesting coincidence is that in the Hades game, the Furies have a pose when they attack that's kinda similar to Medusa's stance where she bends down/goes on all fours?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RevolverDivider posted:

Heaven's Feel III was incredible and Rider VS Salter is one of the best animated things I've ever seen in my life.

It was pretty drat sweet. I think like back in UBW the Shirou vs Emiya and Shirou vs Gilgamesh's weren't quite what I was expecting but Rider vs Salter and 9 Bullet Revolver were pretty much perfect.

I just wish they'd animate a bonus Sparks Liner High special. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Personally I do kinda feel that UBW was fumbled a bit in terms of some key scenes. Like where Looking Cool was more important than selling the narrative or the themes thereof.

While HF I think sells the basic theme of this route solidly, that this is Shirou finally getting over their PTSD / Survivor's guilt to embrace being human.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the way I've seen it best done so far by fate properties is you have the voice over while doing some sort of montage of household chores/errands.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Type Moon: Infinity War, get on it Nasu.

Type-Moon has had basically two Infinity wars already in FGO.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked it, it was a good palate cleanser, because it was a slower drawn out brawl. I'd have to rewatch it though to see if it compares with Gigguk's favourite fisticuffs fight though from Cowboy Bebop.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ccs posted:

Having not read the VN I was a bit mystified by the ending. Shirou's soul is in a birdcage? How did they collect his soul? A seance? And now there's this doll that can receive a soul. Not sure where that came from, seems pretty convenient, but hey I guess mages sometimes have these things lying around.

In order:

-Shirou's soul in the VN is very strongly implied to have been initially housed in Rin's pendant (the one she used up like 10 years of Mana to save regenerate Shirou's heart when Cu stabbed it. The movie seems to obscure this fact a little by having the pendant somehow combine with Shirou's soul? Even though there should only be a trace amount of mana remaining? The point is, by activating the Third Magic, Illya is able to save Shirou which is a BIG DEAL.
-The doll is provided by the Mage Touka who specializes in such things. We know her from Kara no Kyoukai I think? Or her sister? Not sure if its the same situation of there being different versions of Sion. In Kara no Kyoukai Touko replaces Shiki's missing arm that she lost in a fight with evil spirits with the arm of a doll. The full doll replaces Shirou's body. Its a special magic doll, and Shirou basically has a normal human body again as a result; but there's oddness and some getting used to it factors; like Shirou feels like he's almost piloting his new body via remote control in a way, iirc in the VN at the end Sakura has to take over chores/cooking again basically until Shirou fully regains mobility.
-(not quite in order but) So basically Rider actually finds Shirou's soul that was transferred to the Pendant in the resulting collapsed rubble, fishes him out and returns it to Sakura/Rin. There's a fun doujin what-if that basically predicts Prillya by like several years that posits what if instead of the pendant Illya simply has Shirou's soul replaces hers in her Einzbern body while her own souls travels to the Root. It's quite wholesome.
-The doll is actually quite priceless but Touko is one of those people that once they craft a unique irreplaceable priceless work of art they just give it away for free because they satisfied the desire they had and keeping it/hoarding it doesn't fulfill that desire. According to Nasu anyways in the commentary for HF 3.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nrook posted:

There’s a detailed explanation, of course, but I don’t think as a reader you’re really supposed to understand how exactly (HF) Shirou survives. It’s a miracle: an unparalleled work of magic made possible by Illya’s nature and her expertise. The doll thing is a cute reference, but I think it’s supposed to come out of nowhere: narratively it’s what Illya does that’s important.

Actually, that raises another question for me. The power of the Holy Grail is fundamentally corrupt, right? When it “grants wishes” or “offers power”, it do so in a malevolent, destructive way. It is impossible to use it for good: That’s the conclusion Kiritsugu comes to, and I don’t think we have any reason to doubt he’s correct. But at the end of HF, Ilya uses the power of the Grail to save Shirou, an act of benevolence driven by deep familial love. So what’s the deal? I always figured Illya was making use of the ambient power in the big Grail to perform sorcery— is that not the case, and she could have done it anywhere if she needed to?

I assume its something akin to the idea that its something only an Einzbern could do. Like it was the Einzberns in their quest for recovering the Mystics for their own ends, lost sight of their goal and similar to Makiri cheated to try to get it which corrupted the grail; and Illya brought it back full circle to fix their mistakes, by using it not for her own ends, but out of love. And maybe additionally something about how connecting to the Root/Akasha Records is the Greater Grails true purposes and that overwrites its corruption because the corruption/wish bending to evil thing happens when someone tries to use the mana to accomplish an earthly goal; but Illya is using it to connect to the Root and that's beyond human concepts of good and evil and superscedes it? Makes sense to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would you explain something as self evident as Magic?

This is actually funny to me because of the actual distinction in Nasu-land between Magecraft which is what we'd normally understand as being a magic or rather a magic system similar to tabletop rpg's vancian magic systems and what Nasu calls Magic/True Magic/Sorcery which is "Basically unexplained miracles" until science advances to the point that it loses its power because science can turn the magical and special into the mundane and common place, even true magic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know why it would be unclear, Number one rule with Nasu just roll with it.

Nasu does have some kind of underlying system in mind; the whole narrative oompf of the story is the idea that there exists a system and somehow humans through willpower, luck, perseverence, cleverness, etc, manage to break that system and the plot is about managing the fallout of it.

The key thing why Nasu's word salad world building keeps being engaging is because as a viewer/reader you can feel like this is an actual world where this is how things work and there's always more things happening beneath the surface or behind the scenes at a given moment with many intricately linked moving parts whirring at all times.

Sindai posted:

Yeah the epilogue should have been more clear, I've read the VN and I still had to go reread a summary of the HF true end to understand it.

It was great except for that though. Was Zouken's origin story in the VN? I don't remember that at all either.

IIRC I think it was? But I also might be thinking of some things from FGO.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember you get a paragraph about the madlad when he gets chumped

This is personally influenced by my own view but evil must always serve a greater good in the end. Even a tainted grail that believed it was tearing a soul from it's vessel, unaware that the vessel was expended and a new one could be fashioned

I like this theory.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

You should read the Book of the New sun Raenir, and also post about it in the Gene Wolfe thread. It's one of the most Narrative and beautiful arguments of reasoning dealing with the problem of Evil, as conceptualized by philosophers. Also great prose, a cool story, a badass sword, and a neat unique setting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435386

Here's the thread

Thanks! The "philosophical" question of evil piqued by interest a while back precisely because of F/Z and FSN; especially because of Gilles convo with his Master in F/Z and then just all around because of Kotomine; like, usually when we think of "Evil" it ultimately gets translated into a medical condition; i.e something that could be managed, cured, treated etc. But what if there existed some sort of pure expression of Evil as a concept but in a human being such that they were just fundamentally evil and I think I came up with something along the lines of the difference between evil-as-medical-disorder and Capital-E-Evil-as-Abstract-Concept is that it has to be a knowingly informed choice between Good and Evil in a way a normal regular human being cannot conceive it.

Because I want to make a game where the "villain-protagonist" is basically that, an exploration of what is actually pure Evil.

Put it another way; normally a regular human being who commits evil acts is wrong.

So what happens when they commit evil acts and are right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The FGO system is also its own (special) system.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I noticed some of that, definitely worth a rewatch to pay more attention to it all. :D

Maybe they'll re-animate the Fate route? Tsukihime? HA?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Eh I think the film definitely gave Kotomine plenty of focus.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

It just occurred to me, how was Shirou able to project Rule Breaker? I guess it means that Archer encountered it at some point? Would that "some point" be his random adventures, or does he (Archer) have a specific, presonal canon FSN route that he went through? Or did he go through them all? If he went through them all, it kinda makes his performance a bit unremarkable considering this is almost New Game+ for him

Shirou just by looking at a Sword basically knows everything he needs to know about it; and basically he saw Rule Breaker when Shirou and Saber were at the temple when the Shadow ate Medea.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
NP names aren't always literally the thing in question. Sometimes it's a reference to something else.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Thanks for quoting wikipedia like I didn't already know that. :rolleyes:

So this begs the question on what Bellerophon would think of Medusa having a NP with his name. He's obviously famous enough to be a servant in his own right.

Mordred's NP shares its name with Arturia.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

cmon can't use him as a hero, Lancer.

How dare you say this about the Irish Hercules.

More seriously though, since I don't think anyone has added to it; Cu in at least two if not arguably all three routes dies heroically. In Fate he fights Gil for hours to buy time for Shirou and Saber to escape.

In UBW he hangs on after getting his heart blown out to kill Kotomine and save Rin. Also in UBW he clearly likes Rin which makes him a good person in my book.

In HF it isn't clear to me/I don't remember if he was ordered to go after Cursed Arm or not, but he did his best fighting a monstrous foe in disadvantageous terrain.

The fight against Archer in the prelude is cool and I think to a lesser extent in UBW are like some of the precious few "Honourable single combat" duels in the entire game full of trickery and fibbery ow-my elbow.

It's kinda funny how Cu does act somewhat like the "Lancer" character archetype, showing up and helping the heroes despite ostensibly supposed to being their enemy because he's actually a cool guy. I haven't really got a chance to read through Hollow Ataraxia but I bet he gets more scenes when Bazette is around.

And it's interesting because I think vaguely but especially in the 3rd route it kinda wraps back around to his legend, dying due to circumstances outside of his control but doing his best.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We know mages piggy backed on current existing Christian belief in higher beings (i.e Angels) to keep the mana flowing; I think the ultimate answer to that question is basically "people believe its real so it is real" which has basically has been the underlying mechanism of how the Nasuverse works.

Basically there's no reason to believe that the Christian god as Christians believe, contextualize, and understand God's existence To Be as being Real; but something as a result of that belief IS real and exists very similarly enough that it affects the Mystics and until the current Age ends and a new one begins with new laws of reality to go with it it's how things Are.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

That doesn’t happen in fate, orrr at all so maybe someone at deen was huffing markers

Yeah the Fate anime is like a mix of the Fate route and Heaven's Feel.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Play umineko

What is 'Can someone please help me solve this murder mystery my family is dying' for 1,000 please.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe he's thinking of Saber? I think Caster abducts her at one point, it's been awhile.

Nah there's a weird Sakura subplot in the DEEN anime adaption.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Gigguk is fine, this isn't the Youtuber thread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I'm so excited to play this when its out in English :) I actually wasn't able to complete all the routes of it originally, just Arcuids route? But I'm very hype.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The rights/ip stuff is kinda expensive to figure out licensing and so its never really been a priority as the fanbase that would buy/play FSN/Tsukihime is small and niche.

I'd like to think with the new mainstream establishment of digital distribution on major platforms like Steam, the PS Store, etc that maybe it'll see an official release especially with FGO's modest success but who knows.

Has Mahoyo ever been licensed or are we still waiting on that?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That seems lovecraftian.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems like the main take away is as a franchise Fate continued to be a massive black hole of time and attention from its sheer continued profitability?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are they not removing the... The you know, from the Remake like they did with the PSP port of FSN?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Acerbatus posted:

you can say gently caress.

:ohdear:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

are you five years old

I have my reasons? :shrug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

Apparently neither ones are ORT. :shrug:

Aren't there like 27 in total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Characterization quality in a fanfic thingy I think is judged on a sliding scale as I know from personal experience that writing a fanfic and keeping the characters "voice" consistent is really hard. So if EoD was available in English it wouldn't affect my decision to read it.