Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Even after all these years the fact that Fate/Stay Night has bad ends and dead ends be separate things never stops being amusing to me. Especially considering that some of the bad ends are even worse then the dead ends. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

or one that is :black101: personified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywkNzSTreDk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone remind me what the event is that sets the course for the HF route? I realised while watching episode 1 of UBW and seeing Archer get saved by the command seal that I've completely forgotten what causes the path to diverge.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nyaa posted:

It can't be helped with the removal of a route where he's supposed to plays out his redemption/better-characterization.

There was supposed to be more beyond the characterisation in HF, what would that even be about that wasn't already covered? :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

A question about the UBW route:

How could Archer kill Caster who was technically his Master at that time? Isn't it confirmed in Caster's flashback that the only way a Servant can try to kill their Master is if they run out of Command Spells? Am I missing something?

Except that in one of the dead ends at the end of the Fate route Saber guts Shirou despite him having command seals left (I think) which would run contrary to that.

Also why is everyone using spoiler tags for things that relate to UBW? I don't think any anime watcher that doesn't want to get spoiled is going to read this thread. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

HF has a rather different explanation, IIRC: if you run out of command spells, then you are unable to win the War. That's because the final spell is ultimately used to *betray* the Servant, consuming the Servant so that the Grail can be completed. Or maybe I am misremembering?

Nope that's pretty much how I remember it too. Since servants are pretty much invurneable to everything non-servant you need the command spells to force them to kill themselves which completes the grail.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

WTF happened to Zouken anyway after Fate and UBW; it's not like he'd just give up.

He dies of old age...? :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The new Unlimited Blade Works anime desperately needs more Church on the Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDoqAksEn0

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

We litteraly don't need this music anymore. why should they create a specific music just for an infodump episode?

My sense of nostalgia demands it. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blhue posted:

They're probably saving All the Ills in the World for some point where he actually does something villainous, and that's basically a more dramatic mix of the same song.

I really hope so. That song and all its variations was basically the one thing I felt the VN soundtrack did a 100% right. In contrast, everything else was either improved upon in later adaptions or replaced entirely. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Newest ep of UBW is up and, as predicted, it's all the Berserker fight. Ufotable is taking a bit of creative liberty with the original material, giving Ilya enough battle capability to drive Rin into a corner, and having Saber use Strike Air: Hammer of the Wind King from Fate/Zero to take one of Berserker's lives. Archer's Caladbolg II, in turn, seems to have no effect, making Ilya's comment that Archer interests her more than Saber seem knda strange. Animation was top-notch, though.

What? That's an odd change considering that Archer being able to fight was the diverging factor in the VN. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Illya is an extremely strong magus, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that she can drive Rin in a corner. I don't remember how that scene played out in the VN, though.

I can't remember Ilya ever using her magic outside of bad ends in the VN.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Keska posted:

Why does everyone think the original Fate anime was so bad? It was my introduction to the franchise, and I liked it a lot. It made me a fan, and I've watched every Fate show that's been put out since then. Was it just an unfaithful adaptation? I've never really played (read?) any visual novels.

The animation quality was kinda wonky at times, the mis-mash of elements from fate & UBW didn't really work and the infamous dragon-scene was ridiculous. It had some things going for it like actually showing Archers fight with Berserker from Fate and adding some sweet OST to the franchise. I guess I'd say it was ok but playing the VN some years later kinda soured me on it. :shrug:

Also, lets not forget.

I mean sure that sentence makes total sense within the context of the VN, not so much within the context of the anime. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The very next line is "that's the way it should be." It makes perfect sense even in the anime, that screencap is just a joke that got really overblown.

I'd disagree. The anime notably toned down just how much Shirou cheated death troughout Fate by Avalon and since the dead ends obviously couldn't happen in the anime it kinda lost its meaning.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

jellycat posted:

Oh, thanks! I'll have to remember to do that when I get off work. I guess I'm just going to keep riding this Fate series train.

You didn't think of looking at the biggest torrent tracker on the web? :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

After the watching the recent UBW episode all I can ask is, why exactly was Caster doing jack poo poo in the fate route again? I mean she's a non-factor for most of it and then she randomly takes a trip down the hill before the endgame in an attempt to stab Saber and gets herself killed. Was that ever explained?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Iretep posted:

She was waiting for saber to kill berserker because she didn't want to deal with him.

If it's that simply then why is she about to get proactive in UBW? Nothing is really stopping her from just staying perched at her hill. :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

For him to be Walter he'd need to have quotable lines that aren't: "NO, THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!" Or anything else he says during the Grail's mindfucking of him.

The grail neatly dissecting just how stupid his way of life had been with the rigged boat dilemma was no joke the best non-action part of Fate/Zero.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Some of that may be because of a lack of an immediate pay off to Shirou's arc, or because of biases from how how he was portrayed in the first series, but the net result is they won't get aboard the Shirou train and that is a sort of a showstopper attitude to have in a story like UBW.

At least UBW and Heaven's Feel both had big payoffs to Shirou's character arc, I can't really say the same for Fate. He just gets saved by Saber and Tohsaka over and over again and then he stabs an old man to death, THE END. Sure he learns not to be a chauvinistic prick but he also goes on with his stupid ideals unsullied and becomes Archer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Where do you get the idea that Fate Shirou becomes Archer?

It's the only path where the "save everyone" ideal comes out alive (emboldened even thanks to Saber) which then leads into UBW and I don't care that you probably have your finger on a fate/stay-fact™ that disproves me because it just fits so well. :colbert:

I mean Archers arc in UBW culminates in Shirou literally and figuratively slashing his ties to that ideal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scrree posted:

You look like you might be new, so I just want to let you know you don't have to censor yourself this forum. We don't loving care about curses here at SA :)

He has a 2012 regdate. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Basically Tokiomi was a dick.

That's his middle name, backstory, modus operandi and defining character feature. Incidentally it's also the quote written on his grave.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh, what did happen to Lancer at the end of Fate? All I can remember is him falling off the face of the plot barring a certain bad ending. :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

In the VN, Rin mentions that when Shirou eventually "grows into being a Magus" she'd come around to visit him to "collect" something, what is she collecting? Circuits?

A wedding ring...?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rodyle posted:

His cast iron skillet.

That should have been Archers NP.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just remembered where UBW is heading with this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EKF80QhGo&spfreload=10

:smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

Worth noting that Assassin mastered a variant of the Second True Magic by just practising swinging his sword a lot because he wanted to kill a bird.

Assassin never actually existed to begin with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There is a desperate need for a nasu-verse master chef parody to be made.