Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Nyaa posted:

Fate stay night become a cooking show. All servants are famous chef from throughout history.

The seven classes of Servant: Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Greek, and Thai. (The Grail was corrupted by the Einzbern illegally summoning a Servant of the English class in the Third Cook-Off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Nyaa posted:

The Gilgamesh equivalently of Iron servant will be a Chinese granny who invented Mapo Tofu.

He'd be Georges Escoffier. Think about it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Iretep posted:

The impression I had is that the great families can decide who is master but the grail will do it automatically if they don't. Who chose Ryuunosuke Uryuu to be master if it's not up to the grail?

From Fate/complete material III:

quote:

Q: By what criteria does the Holy Grail choose its Masters?

A: They have to be magi possessing magic circuits, be of sufficient stature to summon a Heroic Spirit, and be heretics, of a sort. Of course, the Three Houses take priority.

quote:

Q: Is the will of the Greater Grail, which selects Masters, the same will of Justicia who was offered as a sacrifice for the ritual that created it? Or does the Greater Grail lack any kind of volition?

A: The Greater Grail does not have a will. Justicia’s soul was completely sublimated.

So in other words, the three houses are guaranteed a position so long as they have someone who fits the criteria, but anyone who fits those criteria can join the war by summoning a Servant.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

"Stature" and "heretic" are rather ambiguous words here, but I take it to mean that a totally ordinary person who happens to have magic circuits can't become a Master; you have to be a weirdo like Shirou or Ryunosuke. Note that even the people who managed to become Masters without magic circuits (by taking other people's Command Spells) were someone who knew about magi and wanted to be one since childhood (Shinji) and two amoral :geno: people (Kuzuki and Reika). For some reason the Nasuverse doesn't seem to do stories about ordinary people discovering the supernatural.

I'm guessing that what is meant is that you have to have the power or other means to call up a Servant by "stature", and you have to be at odds with the general trend of society by "heretic".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

Watching Age of Ultron and a question occurred to me, could Shirou both project and wield Thor's Hammer assuming it was technically a Noble Phantasm for cross over purposes?

From what I seem to recall regarding HF:

1) Shirou might not actually be able to wield Berserker's Axe-Sword without Archer's Arm; so its probably that there are NP's he simply can use even if he could project them.

2) On the other hand the Hammer probably can be lifted if Shirou were "sufficiently worthy", which is possible that he beats even Cpt. America for selfless altruism, but this is one of those 100% plot things that Nasu also pull's out, but who knows, might be interesting to talk about but I'm not familiar with the comics so I can't judge what the criteria canonically is.

3) Shirou would get the skills but would probably kill him to use? Unless he can Strengthen his body?

The bit in the LN for F/Z about Alexander going out of his way to pick up a copy of the Iliad is I think a pretty solid example as to how well this is written generally in the FSN VN in general.

Mjolnir is a divine mystery, so it can't be traced. Sorry.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

This isn't true on two levels, Mjolnir was forged by Dwarves, as was Gungnir and we know Shirou can trace Gungnir because Archer likely could. Secondly, even 'divine' weapons can be traced under specific circumstances (Caliburn), throughout the entirety of FSN only Ea could Shirou absolutely not trace because he couldn't even do more than a basic reading.

Whoops, forgot to capitalize it. It's a Divine Mystery, not a divine mystery. I hope this answers your questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

Fallen Rib

AlternateNu posted:

I've been meaning to ask, where did the term "prana" come from vice the more oft used "mana"? Was it some weird Nasu-ism in one of the earlier releases?

Mana is a Polynesian term for supernatural power.

Prana is an Indian equivalent concept to qi/chi, a supernatural life force related to breathing and bloodflow.