Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure the actual reason is that Type Moon ran out of money and had to release F/SN sooner then planned. Which is why Heaven's Feel has no anime opening, and a lot less CGs then the other two routes.

Just a guess from how HF has the most new cgs in the Realta Nua version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They do a lot more with sprite effects and such in HA. Just the prologue has a lot more movement then a lot of the actions scenes in FSN.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twiddy posted:

Really though I'm one of those guys who actually likes Sakura in the VN, and I absolutely love how she's handled in HA. Mostly because HA has many moments where it drops the pretense that Sakura is in any way sane and perfectly acknowledges how terrifying and possessive she is.

She is Rin's sister after all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lancer's just kind of used to being bossed around by women I think.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Issei being part of Shirou's harem: Canon

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HA did a pretty good job for Shinji even if he only appears in three scenes and two of them are jokes. :v:

He deciding to just break off from the toxic Matou family and move off on his own is probably the best choice for his future.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Berserker is Gordon Ramsay. :haw:

e: motherfuck I wish I could draw, I would do up Iron Servant in a heartbeat.

:ramsay:

In other news, there are some downright amazing scenes in HA.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The scenes with Caren remind me that Nasu has no idea about how Christianity works.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twiddy posted:

I mean of course he does. Cu Chulainn's legend is that he tied himself to a rock while he was dying so that he could die on his feet, and his enemies didn't even believe it until a raven landed on him. A big part of his legend is going down like a goddamn badass, it would be terrible if that wasn't reflected at all in Fate.

You forgot the best part is that once they thought it was safe one solider approached his dead body and bam his sword arm comes down and cuts off the guy's head.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah he dies right after that conversation.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Waver continues to prove himself to be the best Type Moon character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

Fate/Zero is, by all means, about how adults can't solve problems and thus why we have Japanese high schoolers deal with their leftover bullshit.

There's a reason Waver's the only Master to have a positive character arc.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know why, but I was under the impression Illya was the one who created Seylla and Leysritt.

She was.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I can't really think of any plot point that would be ruined by cell phones.

Plus, them having cell phones would mean that Rin would have to use technology, which we know is impossible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AlternateNu posted:

I've been meaning to ask, where did the term "prana" come from vice the more oft used "mana"? Was it some weird Nasu-ism in one of the earlier releases?

They're both different words, with different origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

And also for determining who is the best adtrw approved wife

Shirou

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Kohaku True was basically Kohaku Good anyways. But I don't begrudge it because it's basically a bunch of monsters deciding "you know what, let's try and be regular people" at the very last minute and then doing that.

Pretty much the entirety of Tsukihime is about people struggling against the, often literal, monsters within them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hisui and Arihiko are like, the only characters who aren't secretly psychotic murderers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

yeah nasu owns a lot

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tonfa posted:

Honestly I don't think Tsukihime will be have as good of an atmosphere with actual production values, if everything is going to look like FSN instead of surreal not-quite-real-world then ehn

Especially if you played it with the Ever After music, which was so much more haunting and atmospheric then the original.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

I'm rewatching Fate/Zero and it just occurred to me how Kotomine's voice sounds older than Tokiomi's even though the latter's supposed to be about the same age/older than the former. Weird.

Being voiced by Joji Nakata will do that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nate RFB posted:

I also couldn't help but wonder why Gil only ever uses that casual outfit with the white jacket/hair up in Fate where as in all of the other routes and most other works he has that biker-jacket like look.

Don't forget that one Shinji outfit that I think appears in only one bad end.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twiddy posted:

See the funny part is that if you consider Fate/Stay Night impossible to adapt because of its 3 paths being both parallel but sequential stories, I have to know people's thoughts on Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

Slice of life stories with a Time Loop framing device isn't near as tough.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, I like it all too. I enjoy all of HF, and the big scene in the rain is probably one of my favorite parts. Especially since it sounds so goofy out of context.

It probably helps that I like melodrama.

Why on earth would anybody read an absurdly long anime choose your own adventure picture book if they don't like melodrama though.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 29, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AlternateNu posted:

Spiral Paradox is the best movie because it has Shiki Touko doing what she does best. :getin:

Really they're both the best.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course every single Servant/Master combo is meant to be comprised of dramatic foils to each other.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Namtab posted:

I'm just jealous I can't play it

Beef Chief posted:

I'm excited to play it when it becomes available on IOS devices.
Seeing your avatars in sequence is like watching you both power up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

i've discovered how to embed videos into posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2SINwaFbm8

What's the mythological or folklore reference in this?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

klapman posted:

spiral paradox is still the best loving type-moon story, imo. just rewatched it last night, and I might watch it again tonight if I decide to lose my mind
Spiral Paradox is peak Type-Moon imo.

You have good drama, some crazy creepy scenes, a plot that's both completely insane yet totally consistent
when you think about it, and Jouji Nakata.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bakanogami posted:

So if in the end of Fate route Saber gets Avalon back, and then time travels back to post-Camlann with Avalon along with her, why didn't it then heal her wounds and save her life?

Because pathos

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Baal posted:

Tbf, Archer probably had one of the less ridiculous defenses against Lancer considering he almost legit died trying to defend against it. Lancer would be all accounts be able to beat Heracles if it weren't for the labors, but so would a lot of servants I guess. Zero in general doesn't portray Saber that well, but it's not really her story at the end of the day. She's a major player, but Zero is very clearly about other characters and she's only there to enhance other characters and blow up the Grail.

It's as much about Saber as it is any character.

Zero's important for her character arc because the events of it is what drove her to a nihilistic desire to erase herself from history.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Baal posted:

I know she's existed forever, so has Shielder, it's still dumb

90% sure that Nasu and Gen thought up that plot point because almost everybody probably thought that's who Saber was before the reveal of her identity.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rin owns a lot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like the art in FSN a lot actually.

It may not be the most technically perfect art, but there's charm to them. Plus each character has a ton of sprites to express a lot of emotions.

I don't know how else to put this, but the "direction" of Type Moon's VNs is excellent.

Simply doing things like zooming and panning over a picture while playing some sound effects does a lot to make the action scenes dynamic and interesting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Namtab posted:

I would like to know what his motivation is.

Shirou makes his penis feel small.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What was your favorite skit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Baal posted:

This is a bit old now, but Kaiji Tang made a post on his tumblr about his performance as Archer and how he wanted to approach it compared to Liam O' Brien's Archer. It was a pretty cool thing to read since not only is Kaiji a fan of Fate, but he actually talks about how he couldn't hope to compare to O'Brien's really badass Archer voice, so he would instead try to draw upon Archer's nihilism to portray the character in his own way. I know a lot of people here probably haven't seen the dub, but I thought this was pretty cool and since some idiot was whining about us talking about FGO, I figured a non-FGO thing would be cool to bring up.

Well, dang now I want to watch the dub.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Kotomine and Sakura are pretty much just there in UBW.

Sakura's just there in Fate too.

Her actually being important is a big plot twist of HF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Freak Futanari posted:

Sakura is still important in Fate and UBW, because neither Saber nor Rin are very good, leaving Sakura to pick up as much of the slack as she can with her limited screentime.

Actually all three are good.