Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't Sella mostly just hit Shirou for being in the wrong place/wrong time?

It's called ~:h:tsundere:h:~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So it seems I picked the worst time to try this terrible gatcha game. :v:

My Obligatory Tutorial Roll gave me Diarmuid, Alexander, somebody named Ushiwakamaru, and Emiya, that a good roll?

I'm going to assume Emiya is good at minimum due to Popularity. But you never know...

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 22, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I read that unlike most gatcha games the low star stuff still has use.

I will try and get the SAVIOR OF FRANCE.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK I am completely baffled here.

I drew Saber Lancelot. I have him and can select him for everything but for some odd reason the party select menu.

I can't put him in my party, even if I empty it out so it's not cost issues. He's just not selectable.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

Take a screenshot of the party select menu, there should be some text on him explaining the issue..

Actually I figured out the problem.

I had at some point set the party select menus to filter out Sabers.

As Lancelot is my first Saber I hadn't noticed until now. :downs:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Freak Futanari posted:

It's an insanely freaking good movie.

It's really cool how Ufotable turned Nasu's old mediocre Web novel into some very good movies.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, does raising a Servants Bond Level do anything before maxing it out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rule #1 of Gatcha games: Never pull for a particular thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ytlaya posted:

The funniest part of Shirou's Archer future is that it apparently never occurred to Shirou that there are ways to help people and save lives other than murdering bad guys by shooting them in the face with arrows. Like, he could have just become a doctor or something. My personal belief is that the "I want to save people" stuff is just a cover for his desire to be a gritty badass.

Pretty sure it's because of his survivors guilt leading him to push himself into the most dangerous positions possible while still being able to help people.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

shikivsshirou.jpg

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing about type moon stories is their absurdly :spergin: level world building made pretty much so the protagonist can look cool breaking some rule of the universe. Also Nasu's humanist philosophy.

Plus moe.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I like Tamamo as a character but yeah, she's not actually a good person.

She's a on the good guy side only because she happens to be summoned by a good person and her unique brand of craziness means that she'll not go against them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Question about CCC.

Does the final boss of Extra play any important role in it? You know, to give him a bit more presence.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fate/Zero pretty much has to be sad due to its nature as a prequel to a story where we already knew that the events that happened before it Went Terribly Wrong.

We knew Kiritsugu had to be a massive jerk to Saber, destroying the grail and starting a fire that killed lots of people. We knew that Kiritsugu did awful, amoral things to secure his victory. Rin's dad had to die, Rin and Sakura had to be seperated, Illyasviel lost her father, and so on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Argas posted:

This is why Mordred is the best Saberface son daughterson..

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Marie is in fact the best and I'm sad I haven't rolled her.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

Half the time, he's making jabs at the people he is close to like Arc and best buddy Arihiko.

They bring out his inner tsundere.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man, I'm kind of surprised about Hakuno's relationships with Nero and Tamamo in Extella.

Like, I was expecting harem anime-esque teasing, instead her relationships with them are explicitly romantic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schubalts posted:

You could go for explicit romances with each of your Servants in the Extra games, regardless of your gender.

Well yes but usually sequels to games with romance subplots don't actually acknowledge them in any sequels.

Blockhouse posted:

we're talking about a franchise that started with a game that contained a scene where a girl goes "Huh. Guess I'm bi."

Man Rin was always into cute girls and cute kind of dumb guys.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pierson posted:

I have to believe we'll get a Shirou somehow in FGO eventually whether as EMIYA-Lily or a demi-servant with some notable historical sword-dude.

Waver was there from day one and Rin is hanging out in JP, where's our good boy who just wants to be a hero?

I'm betting it'll be HF Shirou as a Welfare Servant for a tie in event to the Heaven's Feel movie.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Nasuverse Gilgamesh has next to nothing to do with mythological Gilgamesh, unless you're assuming he's only from the "I'm the world's most prolific rapist" stage of mythological Gilggy's character arc.

This is, in fact, the case.

Servants when summoned can be called as embodying specific parts of their history/legend. The Archer class Servant summoned by Rin's dad embodies Gilgamesh at the height of his arrogance and jackassery.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silver2195 posted:

I thought it was more that Gil is affected by the era he's summoned into. So he's nicer in CCC because he likes Moon Cell.

Bit of column A bit of column B.

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know it'd probably be easier to know that if they didn't include explicit references to Enkidu whose existence should indicate you're in the part of his life that produces a chiller Gilgamesh.

Servants are weird, he remembers all his life even if he embodies one part of it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rand Brittain posted:

UBW Abridged continues to amuse, partly because of Shirou's dedication to the idea of getting ripped and saving everybody, but mostly because they really nailed Kotomine.

It is nice to see another Rare Good Abridged Series.

Plus Actually Satan got some good lines.

Edit: Also having Actually Satan flashback to the DEEN anime is inspired and it makes me laugh every time it's popped up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Devil's Fish!

I kinda wonder if she is flashing back to Gilles' monster.

F/HA and Fate/Zero were being written at the same time, so yes that was a nod to the amazing Cthulhu monster.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Clarste posted:

The only rule of the Nasuverse is that rules exist to be broken.

TBF this is pretty much true for any fiction that lays out clear rules for things.

Having somebody able to break em for dramatic effect is fun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the F/HA translation actually playable? Last I had heard it had been crowdsourced then pushed out the door the instant it ticked up to 100% translated with no editing pass. That was a million years ago though.

Somebody did that, the people who had been working on the translation immediately took down the files the idiot had put up on their project wiki and fixed it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Compendium posted:

I want to date Lancer

And Shirou does a good job cockblocking him too
I have to wonder how many people had to at least crack open a wikipedia article to get that joke.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

a kitten posted:

Yeah Shirou, let's go ask Kotomine about Gil, this is a good plan without any possible downsides.

:same:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

How can you forget best girl Taiga.

He did clarify "non-crazy"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes but where does Kingdom Hearts fit into the timeline.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Though it's not as purely goofy as Carnival Phantasm. It has a more wistful bittersweet tone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And sometimes she punches people with time reversing lasers! I want Bazett in FGO.

Emer Pseudo-Servant when!?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sakura's great actually and the fact that you missed that makes me pity you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's really more like some of the extended media started giving her some focus so she naturally got more popular

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bakanogami posted:

First FGO summer event was really missing a scene where summer Mordred swam effortlessly and Saber refused to go in the water to try to keep it a secret that she can’t swim and maintain some sense of fatherly pride.

The problem with this idea is that it would require Arturia to care about Mordred's thoughts and feelings.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AtheistMantis posted:

Now at the end of Fate/Accel Zero Order, is Waver a Pseudo-servant of himself as a Pseudo-servant?

No the Heroic Spirit Zhuge Liang jumps out of Present Waver and into Past Waver.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also you can't underestimate the morality of wizards.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

. Every single emotional beat he has, every single personality trait, is created or shown by the death of a woman. I'm not exaggerating. Literally every single one.

Not arguing with the point as a whole but there was Kerry shooting his dad. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ccs posted:

There's some stuff in the Fate route that is very weird. It might not exist in the other routes, but partway through the Fate route Shirou hears how his friend Mitsuzuri was molested. His response is basically "Oh, it'll teach her femininity."

I mean, you did realize that immediately after everybody at the table called him out for saying something dumb like that right.

Saying that a story shows a character saying some things shown explicitly by the narrative to be wrong means that the story itself supports these things is nonsensical. (And even then later showcases that these things were just way for the character to hide how they truly feel from themselves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rodyle posted:

Re: Saber v Archer

To be fair, we never once actually see that happen all out, being as he never uses UBW to fight her.

UBW would have been little more than an annoyance if Saber was able to go all out.

Pretty much the best way for Archer to fight Saber is how he does it in Hollow Ataraxia. Stay far, far away and snipe at her until she's stunned long enough to headshot Shirou.