Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sylphid posted:

Shirou vs. Archer was never meant as an action fest. It's the symbolic culmination of the entire route

lol

These things are not mutually exclusive and acting like they are is dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Did ready player one have a wife apologize for being a victim of domestic abuse from her husband

Women in Ernest cline books do not have the agency required to apologize for anything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Its been literally a decade since I've read any of it, are the fate sex scenes shellfish-metaphor tier of incredibly bad, or are they merely disgustingly mediocre

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saying "nasu is a misogynist" is wrong but it's not exactly a surprising take for someone who's only consumed fate via the animated adaptations and secondhand descriptions of the VNs, and he probably is a sex weird just by law of averages wrt genre authors.

Urobuchi and Zero can get hosed, though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nyaa posted:

I blame evil mud even though he claims it didnít affect him.

Tbh at the time I read it it seemed really obvious that Gil was wrong about the mud not affecting him and it seems weird to me that everyone just sort of took him at his word, but Im not going to read fate again to see if I missed a line.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Aurora posted:

fate zero is dreck

The worst kind of melodramatic manpain theater, imo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm convinced that 80% of the accolades f/z gets is from people who, before it ever got translated, got super hype about individual spoiler moments like kiritsugu blowing up a skyscraper or the Lancelot/Gil dogfight, and then were too stubborn to admit they were wrong when it was actually released and was 50/40 Women Suffering to Make Men Sad and Kiritsugu Being Tacticool

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Also extremely lol as the point was that in fate zero women basically only exist to suffer so we can see how sad it makes their male counterparts, whereas Sakura's trauma exists wholly for her own character

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The Worst Writing amd The Most Heinous Misoginy.

Pee Pee Doo Doo Urobuchi is A Bad Writer

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

Also if things got really bad at the end of Fate Zero because the grail is corrupted why do people still fight for the grail 10 year later? It's no longer a wish granting thing, it just causes destruction.

Iirc, the only person let alive who knows this is kotomine, all other witnesses were loving dead

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Does grandpa worms even know the grail is hosed? Been years since I watched fate zero but I recall that revelation being a pretty eleventh hour thing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc Medusa's backstory is similarly wiped of any sort of sexual elements, which is weird as hell.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Strange Fake Jack is basically BOB from Twin Peaks and it owns

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yuu, much like Rider, is the best

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Space Flower posted:

there are double-digit layers of 'weird' Heaven's Feel conveys intentionally, so perhaps you could, um, expand on that thought?

I haven't seen it, but from what I heard, its less that they abandoned the Realta Nua blood drinking in favor of the original sex scenes but instead decided "why not both?"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

A rep from studio DEEN tastes blood in the water and preps a rush pitch to do HF movie 3

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Polgas posted:

How do I pitch the series to someone completely in the dark? I was telling my friend that I've been playing the new extella game and saying that it's part of a wider series they seemed interested but I don't know where to begin.

"Wizards are terrible and broken people, behold a vast cornucopia of their awful life decisions"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The difference between Arthurian mythology and Three Kingdoms is that there are really only two versions of 3K people give a poo poo about, Original Recipe canon and Dynasty Warriors horseshit, whereas the Arthurian cycle is a millenia-running clusterfuck of different religions, cultures, and social trends actively loving with each other trying to claim they're the Final Definitive Version of a story that was basically created out of whole cloth from a footnote 1500 years ago, with no real canon, that any author can use as a springboard for whatever the gently caress kind of story they want to tell.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kyte posted:

What's wrong with Geronimo? He never fails to have great commentary.
It's just his gameplay that's tragically terrible.

Geronimo spent his life fighting white Americans and spent his last years as a prisoner of war being literally paraded around the US as a loving carnival attraction specifically to humiliate native peoples and cow any inklings of rebellion, so him in the game deciding "yeah I guess that the colonizers aren't that bad" kind of, to say the least, pissed people off.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mordred is helped by the fact that she is constantly either shouting or smugly gloating about how she's gonna kick your rear end, neither of which are conditions that enhance the Distant Brooding aspect of Seiba's appearance

Related, I really enjoy how Neros design has diverged from her initial perfect saberface look as time has gone on and she's become a more distinct presence.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hommando posted:

Unless you're the protagonist.

Shirou was never crippled or ruined as a mage, Kiritsugu just trained him wrong, on purpose, as a joke.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc, in versions of the story where the sword in the stone and Excalibur are separate swords, the sword in the stone doesn't have a unique name, and Caliburn is traditionally just a different name for Excalibur. I vaguely remember there being a version of two where the sword in the stone is Clarent, the ceremonial sword Mordred later steals on their way out of Camelot, but I can't find a source for that one too back it up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Look into your heart and you'll see that you already know who the perfect director for a Fate movie would be

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bonnie and Clyde as Rider, Ben Franklin as Caster, Zodiac Killer as Assassin are the ones I've kicked around as ideas that haven't been done

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yuu Asakawa is the best

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Isn't the crux of Fate/Apocrypha that Darnic clowned on both the Nazis and Zouken with the classy equivalent of "Nah-uh! Nope! Eat my gently caress, motherfuckers!" and he did so without much effort?

Yeah I know "Alternate Universe" this and that, but still.

Darnic pulled off his fuckery by literally blowing the cover off the greater grail and having a nazi zeppelin airlift it out of japan, he didnít kill zouken in the process and iirc only took part in the HGW itself as a distraction

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saying that Muv Luv borrowed "bits and pieces" from Eva is a bit of a fuckin understatement

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Which is fair, since iirc all einzbern homunculi are physically identical copies of Justeaze.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc the end goal of the third magic is that you turn your soul into a semi-physical vessel that can exist on its own outside of a body, which basically turns you into an immortal godling with near-infinite magical energy at your command for reasons, but the one time illya used it was in an extremely limited form that only worked for just long enough to keep shirou's soul from evaporating.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

zero bad

this has been my contribution to the biweekly "what fate watch" discourseTM, thank you

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc babylonia and Camelot are the parts getting adaptations because they literally did a poll of FGO players a couple years back saying "yo what arcs do you want to see animated the most" and those two won out by a pretty large margin.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fgo has 7 story arc chapters, a prologue and a finale chapter, and four post-story arcs, each of which you can probably beat with a couple days of casual play, with the second major arc kicking off in the next couple months with at least 5 chapters coming, judging from the Japanese version which is roughly 2 years ahead of USA.

The issue most people run into is that the first four of those chapters, while they have some good to great moments, are kinda bad overall, with some really dumb and lovely writing at parts, and the story doesn't well and truly start improving until chapter 5 (America) and Camelot, chapter 6, is the first one everyone agrees is fully great.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

You would have to drastically rewrite sieg and Jeanne to unfuck apocrypha, imo, so its doubtful, but its not like there isn't a seed of a good idea there so anything is possible

I actually put on apocrypha as background while I was doing some other work and honestly, it's not as bad as I remember initially? Like, there are absolutely some massive what the fucks, and the good poo poo to bland poo poo ratio is pretty skewed, but its solidly like a B or C tier show? Also the Galvanism reveal was pretty hype, even if it did involve The Worst Fate Protag, because it still involved the bestzerker on a tangential level

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 23, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

They had 24 ding dong episodes to set up his character, the vast majority of movies do far more with a literal fraction of the time

Sieg bad, the production team are adults, you don't need to make excuses for them

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

I dont think saying theres complex reasons why a piece of art ends up the way it is is 'making excuses' lol

The reasons aren't complex, though, they didn't want or care to expand on the actually interesting glimmers of Sieg's character in favor of just playing him as an extremely bland protagonist-kun. Characterization isn't actually that hard to do, because you can roll it into the very actions that move the plot forward, you just have to give a poo poo and make your protagonist actually do things, which the author and production clearly didn't - the biggest issue with Sieg as a character is that he does almost nothing, he is merely a character that the plot largely happens TO.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think the anime team gets blame here, they're working with a pre-existing script, the Apocrypha anime is an adaptation. Could they have changed things? Sure, maybe, but the blame should lie mostly to entirely with the original writer who wasted a lot of good characters in favour of the most bland protagonist he could've written.

I haven't read the original work, but my understanding has been that the production actually did change plot points and character moments in small and moderate ways, which could have actually helped significantly re: Sieg.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nightingale for smash, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

the most canonical depiction of the arthurian cycle in Fate is John Boorman's 1981 epic Excalibur, starring Nigel Terry as the only at-the-time socially acceptable actor capable of depicting an Arthur sufficiently moe as to replicate the real deal