Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

pentyne posted:

So what happened in the first 3 wars? Clearly in the first war everyone involved must've known what was going on, the second must've been successful I guess, and the third was were the Einzberns poisoned the well with Avenger.

The first 2 failed because of a combination of factors. The 1st wasn't supposed to be a war at all. It was all three families working together and then a "holy poo poo only one person gets the wish" moment. The 2nd one resulted in everybody involved dying due to it being a full on free for all with every master ending up dead, so nobody got to make a wish. Which is why they then had the Church get involved to mediate the fight. The 3rd One failed because the Japanese Imperial Army ended up destroying the Lesser Grail Vessel. Then all other grail wars were ruined cause of the Einzberns poisoning of the grail. Note that the Einzberns knew the grail was poisoned, but they still felt the destruction it would cause was worth them getting the 3rd magic back. Them hiring the notorious mage killer Kiritsugu makes more sense if you figure the Einzberns thought he was a stone cold killer who didnt give any fucks about collateral damage (which based on his history seemed like a safe assumption to make).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Think back about what Saber was ever really told about what was going on, and you'll realize that Saber was pretty much told jack and poo poo about the greater parts of the War. The whole point was that Iri and Saber would do the "traditional" Master/Servant thing while he went out and won the actual war. Kiritsugu never once talked to Saber about Kotomine, and considered her unreliable at best and an embodiment of all she hated at worst. Unless Iri talked about Kotomine to Saber (which she never seemed to do) then Saber would know jack and poo poo. All Saber knows is that Kiritsugu was a huge rear end in a top hat to her, spit on her ideals to her face, ruined her honor duel with Lancer, didn't care about Caster going on child murder sprees, and forced her to destroy the one thing she wanted most at the last minute when it was just her, him, and Gilgamesh left.

As far as why Saber disseappered I imagine it had something to do with her weird status as a Counter Guardian.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sylphid posted:

I think the idea with Maiya is that Iri knows about her and accepts her role in Kiritsugu's life as a way for him to keep calm and relax when he's out doing something dangerous. His smoking goes along with that, too, which is why he never smokes around Iri and Ilya.

I get the vibe that Iri knows about what Maiya has going on with Kiritsugu. But at the same time Iri knows she is about to die cause of being the Grail vessel, so Kiritsugu having someone after she is gone is comforting to her. Maiya is also okay with Iri, because she likewise knows that Iri is not long for this world. Iri also being terribly bothered about a non traditional arrangement seems unlikely given her background.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Fangz posted:

Given the fact that the sheath essentially doesn't exist in the story outside that one scene, it's hard for me to see it as representing anything, except I guess how forgetful Kiritsugu is that he would leave an uber-powerful healing artifact just lying around, instead of using it to, say, save his own life?

I think it was stated that Avalon does pretty much jack and poo poo unless Saber (and only her) is around and giving it mana. The explanation on why it still worked after Saber disappeared at Fate/Zero was that it still had a store of mana in it. All the remaining mana in it was drained when Kiritsugu used it to survive the grail explosion, and then put it into Shirou and it healed him. This would also explain why the Einzberns never sent someone to get back the super powerful artifact back, sense they knew it did pretty much nothing without Saber around, and was only useful as a Catalyst to summon Arthur (and Einzberns wouldnt care about trying to use Arthur again in a future Grail War sense she had failed previously)

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So is Emiya at the end of Unlimited Blade Works supposed to be basically a demi servant afterwords? The whole demi servant concept is kinda confusing me