Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I've played through the non-Realta-Nua F/SN like a year and a half ago, watched Zero, the loving awful DEEN adaptation, and the latest cour of the new UBW adaptation. I'm now unfortunately drawn to check out more of the Fate-specific Nasuverse stuff, are any of the other VN's/other stuff any good at all or should I just do a second play through with the Realta Nua patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not into waifu's/rapey stuff, purely romance-based stuff, or blatant fan-service/fan pandering kinda stuff at all. I mean, it's pretty much impossible to avoid when it comes to anything VN related, but the less I have to deal with, the better. As a result I have absolutely zero interest in Carnival Phantasm, but F/HA looks interesting enough so I'll check it out and maybe take a crack at Realta Nua after if I'm not Nasu'd out by then. Looks like Aprocrypha's translation is only finished up to Volume 2 chapter 2, is it even worth playing up till that point?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

in that case he definitely shouldn't play f/ha

it's literally a game where everyone except Kotomine is alive because Reasons and they all get dumb gags like Shinji referencing Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei for five minutes because his VA was in that

Cake Attack posted:

well he might mean fanservice in the seldom used non-titty sense, in which a crossover joke series does count

I meant it in both senses, so ugh. Since you guys seem to be into it so much I'll give Carnival Phantasm the 3 episode test, but unless F/HA is like, really good, I'll probably just skip it. But if Fate/Extra is a game with an actual plot that's interesting, and F/Ha has somewhat important backstory to it, then I don't mind suffering through it. I mean I suffered through Muv Luv to get to Muvluv Alternative so I do have a pretty high bullshit filter.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

The plot stuff in F/HA is legit great (Bazett is the best :colbert:) and some (most?) of the funny stuff is legit funny. I did not care for the fanservice much.

Also more of the truly important characters: Taiga-Sensei, Mitsuzuri, and those three girls.

If it's legit funny then it's already enough for me to deal with my hangups about the totally arbitrary stuff, so I guess I'll check it out.

Compendium posted:

Carnival Phantasm's easy to digest even if you're not familiar with Tsukihime/Melty Blood so it's not like you're suffering through anything bad. It's 80% Fate jokes anyways and the eps are short.

Like Fate/Stay Night, I only checked out Tsukihime and not it's spinoffs.

Endorph posted:

Fate/Extra has its own plot and the characters are all pretty likable but a lot of it gets lost in weird metaphysics, and it's pretty definitively Not Fate/Stay Night, or Fate/Zero, for better or for worse. The gameplay isn't that great, either, it's just extended Rock-Paper-Scissors-Spock.

I like weird metaphysics a la the Infinity series of VN's and the parts of the I/O VN that I played, is it that kind of weird metaphysics or something else entirely?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I finished reading the Fate route now, interesting bit of irony and foreshadowing at the end there when Shirou goes after Kotomine while Saber fights Gilgamesh, Gil says it would've been better if Saber went after Kotomine while Shirou stayed to face him.

Don't want to spoil it of its your first read, but man, you're in for a treat later on, I'll tells ya 'what

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

you're still in for a treat, the ubw movie butchered that finale

Yeah my condolences, thankfully after watching the original DEEN F/SN (after reading the VN, thank christ), I decided to not watch any other Fate stuff. Then Ufotable did F/Z and all was well

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Waver continues to prove himself to be the second-best Type Moon character.

FTFY, because everyone knows Taiga is the best character

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beef Waifu posted:

It's not another Nasu written sex scene, so it's infinitely better.

Yeah. Anything to remove the retarded sex scenes is a good move imo. The stuff they did to replace the one in the Fate route was definitely an improvement

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yep, that guy is pretty much spot on with his comments about the VN.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This loving thread. What is it with Weabs and their waifu nonsense? Like, even when doing it ironically, it's still posting about waifu's.

That being said, Taiga is still the best character

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I found some footage of Gil experimenting with his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0J62bwUCxg

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HF only really started getting good near the end, but it was a weird and pretty rapey route all in all.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for less rape in the movie/Realta Nua, but they already kinda cracked the :can: with Fate/Zero's scenes with the bug room (ugh..) so it could go either way for the movie/movies

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I had struggled through Fate for the second run before UBW started, so I guess I'll play through UBW and HF on RN now. I didn't do any of the alternate ends, just the true ends, and it was on the original version, so hopefully there's enough new stuff between RN and trying to 100% it to keep it entertaining

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are all large breasts actually great? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you :spergin: actually know how to read Japanese, or do you just go off the guides and a kanji to English tool of some sort?