Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that poo poo happened more than a hundred years ago, i think the kid gloves can come off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Then why call her Jack the Ripper? Why did the author?

because the servant system is weird and mashes stuff into historical figure-shaped containers

like kojiro isn't kojiro, and I'm sure there are deeper lore pulls of weird servants someone more versed could make

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

given how people get about fapo in general, i wouldn't put money on it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

umu is definintely a thing i have heard in many an anime, though since it's not specifically an affectation or tic like with nero i can understand it flying under the radar.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i doubt it, only because his chad is all the way over in Apocrypha

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well there's this

https://twitter.com/jbetteridge/status/1083774315110162432?s=19
https://twitter.com/jbetteridge/status/1083854090310828033?s=19

https://twitter.com/jbetteridge/status/1083781204170555392?s=19

i wasn't aware of how fathom worked but this would make sense and also suck for canada specifically, since i assume UK/AUS have their own distribution going on

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

once fgo has a bit more anime under its belt i'm sure they can do a phantasm or something

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my thought was they could adapt some of the event stories, since it'd be nicer to see those transition to animation than the riyo comics (assuming a riyo anime is just adaptations of the strips)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

movies shouldn't even be 2 hours

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

camelot movie using gudao because aniplex are cowards

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you're gonna get into a thing watch the thing

even ignoring that abridged poo poo is dumb, why does it ever enter into these sorts of discussions? they're derivative works that are often referential or take creative liberties so they have no value as an actual substitute for the thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes

they still put out some great shows when the stars of good staff align

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess there's a lot of three kingdoms specific stuff but as someone unfamiliar with it, it doesn't seem to be omnipresent otherwise.

i still think fgo waver was a mistake because the intent with adding servants should be ways to make them interesting and not "let's just use these guys as an excuse to insert our original character into the game." maybe the rins break this too but i haven't played fsn so they just come off as their respective goddesses filtered through a bit of teen girl.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

meihousou not being a melies reveal event was a crime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

enkidu was also a canadian boyfriend situation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

both the chinese and korean rep can be bad, and worth criticizing. its just one is bad and other is nonexistent

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

presidents suck, just give us calamity jane and john jacob jingleheimer schmidt

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for some people it might be better to excise geronimo, yeah. having no personal stake in the issue, i can only say it falls into a pretty tired and lovely vein of this sort of sci-fantasy writing that deals with causality and it could certainly be improved or avoided, even as it is entirely in keeping with larger positive themes of the game/franchise. even if you get closer to home with the game's native rep, sitonai is shoved into a pre-existing character and i'm unsure how that plays out, even though she's featured? in an event that was obviously made with winks to golden kamuy, a series that is quite good at handling ainu representation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

very thought-provoking indeed

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

diarmuid would gently caress that kid up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was kind of a boring case to get two eps to itself and giving me shishigo fanservice only goes so far

the mage fighting was perfect goofiness though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want the alt take on fsn where waver gets in instead of the stupid guy and he summons iskandar again, vn or otherwise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just youtube search fgo [name of story chapter/event/servant interlude] and you'll probably find videos at least going through the story segments

i've only really used it to look at the voiced valentine scenes or interludes from JP but with how many people play the game it seems there's a pretty good amount of coverage. i'm 100% certain all the main story quest and some of the better received events should have story videos. the gameplay side of it is usually divorced from story content when it comes to youtube, so you'd have to go to different channels that post their runs of bosses/challenge quests out of context.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will afford some respect to the creative process behind them but i think the concept and often execution has always been dumb and have zero desire to engage with any of it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

otoh making his skin tone look just like normal emiya lessens the cool contrast of the kintsugi effect in his later ascensions while also not touching some of the other problematic aspects of his original design

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the rules are made up and the points don't matter etc etc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he wrote a chapter for fgo that uses spartacus as a main character so i'm going to preemptively disagree

i will reexamine this stance in a year's time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this summer, scarlet johansson is king arthur

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an adaptation wouldn't escape Hollywood and I'm not sure why people who ostensibly care about the source want it

best result would be they use the base concept of hgw/makai tensho for something original

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 10, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also think the assumption that existing fans wouldn't buy an official tl is kinda flimsy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would hope to god localization could exist independent of aniplex because lol aniplex

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish the babylonia anime was as good as apo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's less depressing if you take into account that i 1) have never read the apo source material to compare and 2) am an apo apologist, but yeah gudao/mash have a similar effect as sieg/jeanne and it just kinda compounds with babylonia's smaller at-any-given-time cast and the issues of adapting something i already played firsthand

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tae posted:

The 2nd half of Apoc is so bad, while Babylon only gets better and more intense after the break

I think you're extremely colored by "I played this before, familiar is poo poo to me"

well it's familiar but worse, because there is no sense of immersion at all

but i don't think immersive is really a thing anime does so i just treat it like a highlight reel for the setpieces and some jokes now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a nice mentor to that boy on the 3* CE

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i started with five eps of the deen anime and it didn't seem bad because this was like a decade ago, then i spent years ignoring fate until i watched zero, and then apocrypha. i think watch order might be fake

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh geez that post expanded overnight lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i stopped watching ages ago but this ep seemed the same as early stuff aside from typical nakaya onsen deformity/shading in the quetz NP stuff they animated

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have even more respect for onsen now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are more named characters than episodes, it was always going to be a struggle i think. dunno if the LNs spend time giving everyone focus though