Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Nearly all of Type-Moon's stuff seems to have multiple cases of rape in them and I really wish they didn't.

Speaking of which, I just finished watching Kara no Kyoukai. I liked Future Gospel so much, it even made me like the epilogue in retrospect. I would watch more Kara no Kyoukai that was just Mana bullying Mitsuru and dragging him around to solve cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Nate RFB posted:

In a lot of ways Future Gospel might be my favorite KnK film, outside of maybe Paradox Spiral. It's got a very nice, almost self-contained story that still manages to serve as a far better emotional and narrative send-off to Shiki than what we got originally with the epilogue. Not to mention Alleluia which is probably my favorite Kalafina song. I guess the plot thread with Mikiya and Seo is a little lackluster compared to what Shiki gets to do though.

Paradox Spiral is easily my favorite, but Future Gospel is definitely up there. There were so many great scenes in Paradox Spiral; the time-lapse with Enjou and Shiki, the fight with the puppet residents, everything with Cornelius Alba, the scene where Touko just starts going full Jojo, the sequence when Shiki comes back. I think this was even the movie where I started kind of liking Kokutou, and the bit at the end in Shiki's apartment was the first time I thought their relationship actually felt believable.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, I can see that Archer is Trunks, but who is Shirou dressed as? It seems like he's wearing the same shirt he always wears, and sweat pants. ...and those DBZ shoes, so... is he the other version of Trunks, or something?

That's how Trunks dressed as a kid in the History of Trunks.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I've been playing through Fate/stay night and I just started Heaven's Feel. I guess it says something that long after seeing people hype up Emiya, I instantly knew what track it was when it started playing. Unlimited Blade Works was great and I really love Tohsaka.

I haven't been live-posting or anything because I already know all the big twists, but it's been nice to finally know how everything fits together. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't seem to find any active torrents for Hollow Ataraxia, though. I don't know when I'm going to be able to spare the money for it, but I'm definitely planning on buying copies of that and FSN.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Kubla Khan posted:

You should try a certain website with a pirate ship.

Oh, thanks! I'll have to remember to do that when I get off work. I guess I'm just going to keep riding this Fate series train.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Xoidanor posted:

You didn't think of looking at the biggest torrent tracker on the web? :psyduck:

For whatever reason, I've never had much luck finding stuff I want there. Maybe it's just because I only torrent weird Japanese stuff, but I've mostly stuck to anime-focused tracker sites.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I finished Fate/Stay Night a few days ago. Every time I think about the Heaven's Feel normal ending enough, I start tearing up again because I'm a crybaby. I'm glad the true ending is mostly pretty happy.

I dipped my toe into Hollow Ataraxia, but I think I'm going to watch Fate/Zero first, because I'd rather end the main Fate stuff on a more pleasant note. I also have Carnival Phantasm prepared for this reason.

Basically I am going to tear through most of the Fate franchise in one month, I guess.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

AfroSquirrel posted:

I had that happen with This Illusion ~ Piano Version for a while.

Godspeed you crazy fool. Hopefully you don't come out of this adventure talking like Nasu writes. Other possible symptoms of overexposure to Fate may be a sudden increased interest in cooking, swords, and combinations of the two.

I actually liked the cooking scenes and I definitely came away from FSN with an increased interest in cooking, haha. I've cooked a little bit of Japanese food before and was already interested in learning more, but I think a cast-iron skillet, broiling pan, and Japanese cookbook are going on my Christmas list now because of this game…

Scrree posted:

Fate/Stay Night's music is the loving poo poo and one of the major reasons why I'll argue that the VN is still worth reading even with all the adaptions out. Finishing a route and going back to the start screen with a new backround and New Dawn starts playing and fuuuuck.

My little sis just finished UBW a couple days ago, and I showed her the Carnival Phantasm Holy Grail Grand Prix section today. She is firmly on the dark path :getin:

On that note, for UBW I told her to get True End first and then double-back for Good End since sunny day is kind of lackluster, but for Heaven's Feel I'm thinking the best order is Sparks Liner High, then Cherry Blossom Dreams, and finish with Return to Spring for maximum catharsis.

This is the order I did these in (well, I didn't get Sparks Liner High, but that probably would've gone before the other two if I did) and yes UBW True End is definitely way better than the Good End. Rin and Shirou talking about moving in together in London and Shirou learning magic from Rin and just them planning for the future was really cute.
Also I'm glad you're getting your sister into Type-Moon. I was happy to see a decent number of women at the Type-Moon panel I went to a while ago, but I'd like to see more of us.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Raenir Salazar posted:

To what extent is Gilgamesh's arrogance an act? Whenever he's got his hair down he seems to act more casually

Scrree posted:

Hair-down Gil is so overconfident he fights Shirou without bothering to put his armor on.

Kubla Khan posted:

He acted casually (like, around Kirei) only when there was nothing to threaten his sense of entitlement so he could just chill and have fun.

Gil loves chilling out casually without his armor.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

I am trying very desperately to imagine Kiritsugu attending a parent-teacher conference.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I finally finished Fate/hollow ataraxia after ~33 hours. I knew what I was in for with FSN, but I wasn't expecting HA to be nearly that big.

I bought Fate/Extra, but Persona Q will probably be monopolizing my handheld time for the foreseeable future. After playing through FSN and HA, and watching Fate/Zero and Carnival Phantasm, I think I've earned myself a break anyway.

Well, I'll still be following Unlimited Blade Works of course, so.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
In Fate, Saber is sleeping in the room next to Shirou, but in UBW, she's sleeping in a separate room, so Caster is able to draw Shirou out without Saber noticing.

EDIT:
Also, the reason why she acts when she does in Fate is explained in Hollow Ataraxia:
Gilgamesh goes to the temple and kills Assassin and Kuzuki. I don't know where Caster is while this is happening, but she finds Kuzuki as he's dying.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 24, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I liked the Kiritsugu I heard about more than the Kiritsugu actually depicted in Fate/Zero. Like, putting aside ideals or whatever, he literally says something like "this gun… it weighs more than my eight-year-old daughter…" before cheating on his wife and making out with his mistress. That was the most eye-rolly "I'm a tortured adult anti-hero" writing ever and I kind of couldn't take him seriously afterwards. Fate/Zero in general seems to take the "sex and ruthless violence = mature cool thing" approach and that stuff turns me off on media so much because it feels like a really juvenile idea of maturity.

That said, I still liked Fate/Zero.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Sylphid posted:

I think the idea with Maiya is that Iri knows about her and accepts her role in Kiritsugu's life as a way for him to keep calm and relax when he's out doing something dangerous.

anglachel posted:

I get the vibe that Iri knows about what Maiya has going on with Kiritsugu. But at the same time Iri knows she is about to die cause of being the Grail vessel, so Kiritsugu having someone after she is gone is comforting to her. Maiya is also okay with Iri, because she likewise knows that Iri is not long for this world. Iri also being terribly bothered about a non traditional arrangement seems unlikely given her background.

I can definitely see this being Irisviel's perspective on this, but maybe my opinion was colored from reading this, from the wiki:

quote:

Because allowing his wife to sacrifice herself to complete the Grail is a betrayal towards her love, no matter what others say, it is necessary that he does not hesitate in this betrayal. Kiritsugu sees his sexual relationship with Maiya as a rehearsal before this betrayal, a form of self-abuse to steel his nerves while walking down this path. It is probably the sorriest excuse to have an affair, and it is essentially a negative spiral downward without an end.

Basically, however Irisviel feels about it, as a dramatic tool it's purpose is to be angst-fodder for Kiritsugu and it feels sooo clumsy and hard to take seriously for me.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Kyte posted:

That kinda sounds like the wiki making stuff up.

It cites Fate/Zero material, which is one of the material books cited throughout their Fate/Zero articles, and the other articles also cite similar books for their respective games. Without having a copy in front of me I can't confirm it for myself, but I believe it, at any rate.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
The Unlimited Blade Works thread has taught me that if I am ever responsible for anyone getting into Fate stuff, I will start them with Fate/stay night, as is good and proper.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I liked the part where he strangled not-Irisviel to death. It's a lot like the part where Kirei strangled Irisviel to death, except it's Kiritsugu instead. There's lots of strangling women to death in Fate/Zero. I guess technically Rin's mom doesn't die from the strangulation, but that's because it's more tragic for Rin to have to take care of her brain-damaged mom as a six-year-old.

EDIT:
I lied, sorry, I didn't like those parts at all. They made me very upset.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rodyle posted:

oh my god

Now Fate/hollow ataraxia, there's something that is good that I like. I'm sad that I already played it because I would really like to play the Vita version just to hear everything voiced.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I was thinking about buying the 10th anniversary box with the original PC versions of Fate/stay night and hollow ataraxia because it's the 10th anniversary now and it won't be the 10th anniversary next year or the year after that or even the year after that.

If the bizarre idea of playing these games again ever manifests in my head, I look forward to then buying the newest, best versions of these games so I can have fully-voiced versions of both without the lovely sex scenes.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Poor Diarmuid, sigh…

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I think Diarmuid was mostly cursing Kiritsugu (and maybe Saber), and that probably didn't do anything except make me sad.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rodyle posted:

Tell me how this makes you feel

Good, good. Thank god for Japan.
They understand me.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Here you go.

The Good Post Magnet!!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Please do not put up crude garbage like this in my territory.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I was watching a compilation of all the Fate series openings and I didn't realize the Vita version of Realta Nua had new ones.
I really love the Heaven's Feel opening, but wow they sure do spoil everything. I guess that's why there wasn't a new opening for Heaven's Feel in the original VN.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual reason is that Type Moon ran out of money and had to release F/SN sooner then planned. Which is why Heaven's Feel has no anime opening, and a lot less CGs then the other two routes.

Just a guess from how HF has the most new cgs in the Realta Nua version.

I played the weird patch with the hacked-in Realta Nua stuff, so I didn't realize until watching Nine Bullet Revolver on Niconico Douga that the CGs where Shirou projects Berserker's sword were apparently not in the original? Those CGs totally made that scene.

Compendium posted:

Yeah the Vita openings are really cool. I think the neat thing about the songs are how each of the lyrics change slightly to reflect the theme of each route although obviously Heaven's Feel is the one that changes the most.

Yeah, I had a hard time telling the first two apart, but the lyrics changes are neat. Sad anime songs are my jam, though, so the Heaven's Feel opening is definitely my favorite of them. That said, I tried watching the UBW anime opening with the Realta Nua song and they sync very well.

Speaking of Sakura, though:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

BlitzBlast posted:

I wonder if you're playing the same game as me then, because Sakura scenes are the best scenes.

It's cooking time. :fsn:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Reading the VN Sakura just not taking Tohsoka's poo poo and barging in anyways was awesome.

I like Sakura. I can see why other people don't, but she's a sweet girl and I am a sympathetic sucker for fictional characters.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

AlternateNu posted:

Actually, I wanted to ask the Matou's. I never really got their actual family tree. Karia was the oldest of the Matou kids before he left the family right? Then it was the middle brother that Kiritsugu tortures to find out where Iri was, then Shinji, right? I can't remember if they were all actually Zouken's kids or if he had any others considering how old he is.

The one Kiritsugu tortures (Byakuya) is actually Shinji's dad and Kariya's older brother, but Kariya was the only one who had any sort of aptitude for magic. They're Zouken's descendants but not his sons. I think the Matous have constantly been raised to believe he is some relative or another while he's concealed his actual status, but some of them have suspected who he actually is because his name keeps popping up in the family register or something.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I think it's specifically that the mapo tofu at that restaurant was supposed to be especially, inedibly, spicy because the owner put lots of peppers on everything. And then there was Kotomine scarfing it down without pause.

Mapo tofu IS really tasty, though! I ate some last weekend. It was way too hot (temperature-wise) to eat it like Kotomine, though. The roof of my mouth is still a little sensitive from eating it a little too quickly anyway.

Fangz posted:

I hope there's some kind of alternate history fan fic where Shirou learned to cook Mapo Tofu, and turned Kotomine's life around.

This sounds like doujin material if I've ever heard it. Shirou learns to cook mapo tofu the way Kotomine loves it, he moves in. This is how alt-universe BL Fate/stay night goes down.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 3, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Fangz posted:

Mapo Tofu is fantastic and also really easy to cook. It's definitely worth giving a try.

This is very true. I cooked some a while back and I might cook some next week if they actually have green onions next time I go grocery shopping.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

PrinnySquadron posted:

Got this yesterday :3: Can't wait to play the hell out of some fate.

Is this the 10th anniversary box? If so, could you post some more pictures? I'm very strongly considering getting it, but not 100% sure yet.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

PrinnySquadron posted:

Wasn't aware that it was at the time, but some googling seems to point to yes. I'll take some pictures when I get home.

Thanks! Did you get it from Amazon?
I've only looked in a few places but they seemed to have it cheapest. Apparently they're going to stop making them around the end of January, so I guess I'll need to make up my mind before long.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Organized religion is "supposed" to be "good" (quotes because that's obviously a huge simplification), so it's very easy to establish it as such in fiction. Which then makes it a very cheap source of betrayal and drama.
Basically, evil church officials are easy to make interesting (even if they're predictable), much more so than good ones.

EDIT:
Also, are we talking like pastors and popes, or are we talking about characters who are religious in general? There are definitely religious characters who are supposed to be sympathetic.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 6, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Cake Attack posted:

in other news, lots of buff dudes in this japanimation:

i'm 'miring

Unlimited BL Works.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Unlimited Blade Works is probably the worst route to follow up Fate/Zero with. Nearly everything that gets some backstory in Fate/Zero is irrelevant in UBW; Saber never gets any closure for Kiritsugu and the end of the 4th Grail War, Illya and Kirei both die without ever doing much of importance to the greater plot, the Azoth Sword doesn't play any part in the story, and you don't get anything about Zouken and Sakura.

Basically the only thing that gets any sort of meaningful continuity is the conflict between Shirou's/Kiritsugu's ideals and the cynical, pragmatic way of carrying them out that they end up at, which is definitely not insignificant, but it's probably too much thematic and not enough narrative continuity for most people. Also Lancer killing himself, I guess.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I feel like he might mention that he was successful at projection first in Fate as well, but I could be wrong.

And yes, projecting Kanshou and Bakuya forced open his circuit the right way. I can't remember if it's made explicit, but I think the way he's described as feeling the next few days is the same as after Rin opened his circuit in Fate.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure, but how come they cut Kuzuki who I presume still managed to "block" or deflect them the same way he did Excalibur.

Kuzuki "caught" Excalibur, whereas his attacks were presumably blocked by Kanshou and Bakuya, which cut him in the process.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
His body is "made of swords" after all. Archer's arm was definitely the catalyst for it going out of control in HF, though.

Anyway, in Hollow Ataraxia, Rin jokingly (:airquote:) raises the possibility of Shirou projecting copies of valuable things and selling them and they have a discussion that IIRC concludes that he could fool skilled magi with his projections if they didn't look too hard, with some practice.
So Rin at least believes he could improve his general projection skills as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I guess I'm seeing it very differently.

Avalon is what figuratively shaped Shirou's life, as the thing that allowed him to survive the aftermath of the Fourth Grail War, so the fact that it literally did so as well (in a manner that fits within concepts previously established in the Type-Moon universe) doesn't really bother me. It's the most physical link between Kiritsugu, the end of the Fourth Grail War, and Shirou, and I think it's a very fittingly symbolic one, too.