Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: The current worst 5* is probably a tie between Brynhildr and I guess Iskandar because the former's niche is nigh useless and the latter just has an awful skill set. Vanilla Jeanne isn't doing too hot either, but she at least has "was really, really good back at launch" going for her.

Maybe this question will expose my fundamental lack of understanding of the game, but is Iskandar's skill set really that bad? Seems to me like it's tailor-made for going nova with 3xBuster NP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Charisma and Military Tactics are effectively filler skills; they're not particularly awful, but they're not very useful either. Iskandar has both, which means right away he only has one actual skill. And Conqueror of Lightning is just a generic Buster buff. So all three of his skills are generic as hell.

Well, okay, how does he perform in battle? Awfully, because his generic skillset is overall geared toward buffing his NP... his really weak AoE NP. He doesn't have particularly great NP gain either, so he can't even spam it.

Drake is his direct competitor, and she has a NP Interlude, Pioneer of the Stars, and just for extra insult Voyager of the Storm which is literally Charisma and Military Tactics in one skill slot. And like I mentioned earlier, for the most part 3* Berserkers can handle clearing chaff just fine, so his counterpart in lore Darius is also arguably more useful.

See, I've always seen Drake as de facto only having two skills because Golden Rule and other NP generation buffs, to me at least, are the most useless skill category in the game. Servants seem to either not need it, because they already build their NP bar quickly, or it doesn't do anything for them because it's percentage-based .

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

All five stars is good just from their stat alone.

Nightingale?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Trying to install the apk on a Huawei P8 lite and getting an "analysis error"(or something along these lines, translated from Polish) message, anyone knows what's up with that?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

What is the best way to get fruit cakes for this event? It seems like the last 40AP one doesn't drop them, and the first 40AP one only gives like 8-10 per run, even with Lancer Jeanne Alter in my party. I seem to remember the equivalent being a lot easier to get in the last event (I think there was at least a craft essence that increased its drops).

The newest (third) 40AP quest does, in fact, drop them, though the quantity isn't great.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, what the actual gently caress, I got the white ticket, why can't I exchange it for a permanent Santa Lily?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Almost done with all my bronzes! :toot: Just need a reliable source of gears and pages, and before you ask yes I've already tried grinding Atlas.

I'm about halfway done with my silvers too. Getting all the gold statues I need for these guys is gonna suck.

As for my golds, uh.

I'm sure I'll get to them someday.

Funny thing, I go about it the absolutely opposite way. My golds are all at the max level (or at least the highest reasonable level, Vlad's last ten give him like 250 atk in total, and gently caress blowing all that exp for that), with the exception of Nursery Rhyme and Rider Mordred to whom I haven't got around yet, and my >=3-star servants nearly universally wallow at their second or even first ascension.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Last chapter start at the end of the month. Servant with high bond matters.

Hmmmmm. I wonder what constitues "high bond" I have't been farming for any single Servant's CE, instead just swapping whichever gold servant was the closest to the next level into the back row, while adjusting the frontline to the mission.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

I decided to read Witch of the Holy Night since I need more type moon stuff in my life and holy poo poo they drew out every single scene!?

Is there a translation or can you just read moon runes?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Rolled the Assassin/Extra gatcha and somehow got Jack instead of a duplicate Jeanne. Between Shiki, Emiya Alter and Carmilla I probably didn't need another single-target Assassin, but it was the only role in which I didn't have a five-star.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I spent like 50 minutes on a huge effort post before I realized I didn't actually even care that much. Why is it that all I do in this thread is get into dumb arguments? :negative:

Anyways, the cliffnotes:

I grabbed an Ilya and a Kintoki off my support list, used their buffs and slapped on Shakespeare's Enchant + the Battle Suit's attack buff, and let them loose on an Assassin. Kintoki's already done more damage, and he hasn't even gotten a critical on that last Buster card yet.

In a completely controlled direct comparison I would agree that Ilya would've done more damage here (Kintoki doesn't normally have a Buster buff, Ilya had Prisma Cosmos instead of a damage CE on, etc), but nobody cares about those in this game or else Jeanne Alter wouldn't be considered the best. Both Ilya and Xuanzhang can't Brave Buster Chain, so they've automatically got a lower damage output than Kintoki, Raiko, or hell even Berserker Lancelot. And that's before you get into the "Berserkers always have at least a x1.1 multiplier, Casters always have a x0.9" thing. Which I still think is really dumb.

Also Ilya, Xuanzhang, and I think Nursery Rhyme are like the only three Casters really built for offense. So generally you actually are better off taking a Berserker to an Assassin fight than a Caster. That's why most people consider Assassin bosses so annoying, actually, because despite the silly huge glut of Casters they tend to be pretty bad at hitting things.

One advantage Illya has in this situation is that she won't fold like tissue paper if said assassin decides to focus on her for a round

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Wuxi posted:

4100 Dangos in I get the 5th CE as a drop. So goddamn happy right now

First or second 40AP quest?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Our new servant for the Valentine's Rerun is MHX Alter.

Meh. I'll pass.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Argas posted:

I just realized that there's an aspect of the chocolate coin drops that I didn't even bother asking about.

Are drops determined by what CE you equip and/or what enemies you face? If I run, say, a lancer team with anti-class CEs, does that mean I'll get saber coins even if I use an archer mold for type-effective clearing?

Enemies only drop their own class coins and the ALL-class coins. Also, the anti-class CEs boost the drop rate of the coins of the class the equipped servant counters, i.e. one equipped on a Lancer will increase the amount of Archer coins dropped.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Just finished the chapter

Aside from Lobo boss it was a pretty fun chapter and Morty's cool as hell. Break is a loving terrible mechanic though and I don't know why it's in the game now other than to make bosses harder than necessary.

Have't dived into the chapter yet, what's this "Break" thing?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Just got out of a screening of Heaven's Feel. It's good! They didn't gently caress it up!

They did a really impressive job compacting events to save time and skipping over the stuff even a casual fan has seen five times already. Everything from Shirou noticing Lancer and Archer to him and Tohsaka arriving at the church are presented as a montage while the opening credits play. By comparison, it really takes its time with added stuff, like spending the first fifteen minutes on a flashback of Shirou quitting the archery club and Sakura starting to come to his house.

In terms of how much the movie covers, it ends at Shirou returning home after losing Saber.

Some of the fights are really pumped up, like Lancer/Assassin, while others are over kinda quick, like the first Berserker/Saber one.

Mabo Tofu scene is glorious and had the otherwise stoic Japanese nerd audience chuckling.

How's the music? Any good remixes of the VN's OST?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Wasn't king Arthur absurdly old when he died

Her rule only lasted 10 years in Nasuverse.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

My favorite fight in the series happens during a Bad End and therefore sadly won't be animated.

I'm still hoping they'll include it as a BD bonus.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I agree, after Return to the Spring I was content to let Shirou and company ride off into the sunset. They said what they needed to say and do what they needed to do.

Same, but after Cherry Blossom's Dream :kheldragar:

I don't know why, but I feel it fits much better as an ending to Heaven's Feel. Shirou makes his choice, achieves a miracle and pays an adequate price for it. "True" ending only really worked for me as a finale of Illya's story, the rest of it read more like a Type Moon Good End.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'm of the camp that Sakura's Normal End may be depressing as hell, but it's thematically a better fit for the story.

The entirety of Heaven's Feel is basically the destruction of Emiya Shirou. Literally everything that defines him as a person is systematically sacrificed throughout the course of the events of the plotline, so it fits that it concludes with his death after having fulfilled what he set out to do.

There, there, they expressed it much better than I could, pour them a pint. Then again, I've always seen UBW True as a perfectly good standalone finale of Shirou's story and HF as more of an alternate path he could take and a more in-depth examination of the Holy Grail War itself, rather than the "definite" or "correct" ending like I've seen some people here posit. Fate asks a question and UBW and HF are equally valid answers.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is best exemplified by how all throughout Fate/UBW, whenever he's going to pull one of his insane stunts, alarms blare in his head "you'll die if you do this, idiot!" that he has to fight to overcome, but towards the second half of Heaven's Feel that so-far consistent aspect of his character is just gone.

This is... objectively not true. Heck, he still gets a scene like that in Nine Bullet Revolver. And if they're gone after that it's because he knows that once he's released the shroud he's a dead man walking.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Right on. I'm finally realizing that this is a game better enjoyed by taking in all the various scenes and trying to exclude some is pretty pointless. Thank God for the skip-already-read-text feature.

On a related matter: I would suggest going for the Heaven's Feel Normal End first once you get to that route.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Ok, that makes sense. I'm guessing I won't get any of the status screens until Saber shows up too. It's not the ideal version since it doesn't have all the added bonuses of the beast's lair translation patch but it's got the voices, it's in english, and the h scenes so it's good enough.

Does it have the additional music and CGs from Realta Nua? If not then you probably want to find a version that does (or a patch that adds them).

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I ended up redownloading Realta Nua proper and now that I've fixed the resolution so there isn't a glitch on the sides, I gotta say it feels very luxurious compared to the version I was playing before. The music is stellar too.

Does your version have the original version of the OST or the PS Vita remixes? Cause the latter are much worse in my opinion.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Heaven's Feel Blu-Ray will be out on the ninth of May. I'll finally be able to see it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

I'm reading through the untranslated El-Melloi case files books, and I can defnitely see why they chose to animate Rail Zeppelin over the first three books. I enjoyed the first three, but Rail Zeppelin really knocks it out of the park and has some great twists. Try not to get spoiled if you can, you'll probably enjoy it more that way. I wound up catching one or two minor spoilers while looking stuff up on the Type Moon wiki.

One thing that did catch my attention is it has some significant references to Tsukihime/KnK. There's a line about there being rumors of some Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception having appeared in the far east, though it's unclear which Shiki it was referring to. The Forest of Einnache, one of the Dead Apostle Ancestors in the Tsukihime timeline, also plays a significant part in the story, and it wouldn't have been created without Arcuied's intervention.

For all their bluster about their different properties all being in different timelines, they specifically say in one of the afterwords that the El-Melloi case files are supposed to be in the same timeline as Stay Night and is meant to tie their older works to their newer stuff. Including this stuff makes me wish they stuck to their guns about having a shared universe more.

Honestly I feel like the main reason for the "different timelines" is to have an excuse for inconsistencies when they do crossovers. "It's totally not a plothole, that was a different timeline"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm also glad each part of Heaven's Feel ends on a more happier and hopeful note, which really has me believing in the possibility of a true happy ending.

I did a double take when I first read this, spent a good while racking my brain thinking of a scene they might have ended the movie on, found the movie online, skipped to the end and finally realised: "right, sarcasm is a thing that exists". Still kind of surprised about the breakpoint they chose, I was almost certain they'd pick another scene to close this part on.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

:allears:

Already got my ticket for March 16th here.

Back when the trilogy was first announced I thought for a while on the logical break points for the films; nailed it for Presage Flower, so I'm hoping I'll get it for Lost Butterfly as well.

I think there's 3 points all close together you could end the 2nd film on, but... there's one scene that'd be perfect to start the third film off with, meaning the scene prior is what they'd have to go with.

E:NVM, you havent watched it yet. What scene are you thinking of? You can hide the answer in spoilers for those here who are watching those blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The aftermath of everything tumbling down, tumbling down.

End of day 14?