Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody else find it kind of funny that episode 11 of UBW and episode 11 of Fate/Zero are so very similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is anybody else not seeing the new episode on Crunchyroll?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is so much funnier when you remember Jeanne is French and the 100 years war was between England and France.

e: I saw some fan art the other day that showed a bunch of different Shirou's drawn according to the different ways he 'could' have been raised, so either by Tohsaka, Matou, Einzbern's, Kotomine, etc and I wonder; how different would Shirou be or his general ability to "do" things had he been given proper Magus training?

Or the fact that the English burned Jeanne at the stake, or the fact that England and France for most of their time as nations have been fighting each other.

Also, do you have links for those pictures?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twiddy posted:

It's kind of weird swimming out into the greater internet anime fandoms recently and seeing ridiculous amounts of praise and love for Saber and Kiritsugu.

The internet is a terrifying place.

I can get praising Kiritsugu for being an interesting character in terms of just how much the war breaks him but that is it. The moment that people start building him up as some kind of badass is when it gets weird.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love just how stoked Ixander and Darius III are to fight each other.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

Are there any cool wizard battles in it?

There is a truly epic wizard battle in the first episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also why are people feeling the need to spoiler Rider's identity? In the first scene he is actually in he all but states just who he is and in the second he loudly declares both his name and title.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We all know that Shirou would end up being the one taking care of the house.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In anticipation for the next episode of Apocryha I think my favorite part of the episode was just how psyched Mordred looked when she was summoned.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Reading it I think it supports "Why not both"; summoning someone in their Land of origin gives them extra stuff; stuff they can bring anywhere, but there may be various blessings and boosts that only affect them when in that land.

I haven't read the wiki but going from the Fate/Zero if all you had to do was do the ritual in the homeland, then why wasn't saber summoned as close as possible to where camelot would have been?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because Kiritsugu was paranoid and probably figured the risk was too great and Northern Europe is pretty close as it is. This would explain most Masters not going out of their way to do so.

Mordred I think is implied to have gotten a boost from being summoned in England and fighting in Europe as she seems uncommonly strong to the Black faction.

Actually that was a stupid thing for me to bring up as there is an obvious reason why Kiritsugu didn't do it. He was an edgy rear end in a top hat who believes that he can do a better job winning the war then his servant can. If he had just given saber her scabbard he could have just stayed home with his daughter as saber singlehandidly carved up almost every other servant.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Kiritsugu is totally on that list because he completely abandoned Illya after the Grail War, ruining her worldview and her personality, especially after she found out about Shirou.

Irisviel was a good mom, but that didn't work out given what she was. Aoi looked like a good mom, but letting Tokiomi basically sell off Sakura is a major black mark.

Kiritsugu was not able to see his daughter due to the head of the family baring him entrance to the castle. He still deserves to be on the list for the lovely job he did raising Shirou.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to going to see it on Wednesday in DC

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think every theater was laughing at the Saber vs Rider fight. That and the group picture at the start of the movie got the biggest reactions at my viewing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kyte posted:

Nobody said a peep when aryan ideal Gilgamesh performed heart surgery on albino child for the sake of purging the world of the weak and unfit.

Or everything Uryuu and Gilles did.

Oh no, the villain is doing something villainous.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

This might be the case in the Visual Novel but I've only seen the ufotables.

Huh? The whole point of the last two routes is delving into what makes Shirou tick. It is only the first one where he is dull or misogynistic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

The UBW anime makes it pretty clear that Shirou is not quite right. He literally needs a trigger warning for happiness because people suggesting he do things to enjoy himself gives him horrible flashbacks.

If nothing else the abridged version demonstrates that the character works fine with the misogyny excised and the next six adaptations should follow them in removing it.

I thought the misogyny from Shirou mostly resolved about Saber fighting, and the one time in UBW he tells her not to fight is against Gilgamesh for he is the only one who can actually counter him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I can not wait for the final Heaven Feels movie.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So does anybody know when the first part of heavens feel will start to be available to rewatch?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

My favorite fight in the series happens during a Bad End and therefore sadly won't be animated.

The next best three will all happen during part 3 :fsn:

That fight I can easily see being done as a special feature.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've liked True Assassin since I played the VN all those year ago and I'm glad they made him as scary as he originally was.

They did a really good job making Heavens Feel feel like the horror movie that it basically is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

the real argument is that twilight is vastly overhated and is just kind of a mediocre bodice ripper and so using it as a constant frame of reference is dumb

My biggest issue with the movie was being forced to watch it on the bus during a trip.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Gil would have minded whatever resource had to be used to defeat Iskander as it would be just yet another sign of respect.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The real issue for Kirei is he ran into Gilgamesh who was in full hedonist mode as in Gilgamesh with the mindset he had before Enkindu started to help change him for the better.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching Fate Apocrypha and despite the issues with the story I do love what they did with Kairi and Mordred.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Heavens Feel is definitely built on knowing what happened in at least one of the other routes. The scene with Archer and Shirou on the school roof is built on the idea that you are well aware that Archer wants to mentally and physically kill Shirou in an attempt to write himself out of existence but he is well aware that something is going seriously wrong in the current war and so is going to focus on his duties as a counter guardian first before trying to fulfill his own wish.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is hard not to like a show where a character is build up to be this stone bold badass but in the end he is broken when he is forced to comprehend just what type of person he really is. That and the irony that for all the poo poo he gave Saber, in terms of loving up those that come after by setting a bad example, he did more damage to Shirou then Saber ever could have done. Also it had some really great master/servant relationships in Caster and Rider with their masters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what was that giant marble thing in Fate/Zero?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Yeah but is the wish-haver expected to know that the grail will need them to do all the planning for how the wish will work? It's a magical powerful artifact. It just seems like a bait and switch on the audience. After all the reason you're using a magical artifact to do the work for you is because it's too difficult to do without it.

I dunno, I just can't place the blame on Kiritsugu cause he expects the wish granter to be better at its job than it is. Otherwise he'd probably have come with a detailed powerpoint for how to make world peace feasible.

He can't though as his mindset at that point is too rigid to accept the fact that he could be wrong. Hell, the guy is a complete idiot from the get go as all it would have taken to win the war was giving the scabbard to Saber and let her tear through everyone else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

In UBW is anyone actually trying to do that? Rin has forgotten what the original purpose was since her father died before he could tell here. Shirou doesn't know WTF. The Eizenbern girl maybe wants to still do that? Everyone else is a bunch of randos.

Nobody is prepared for the war as everybody thought that there was another 40 years before the next one would kick off.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Fate/Stay Night's depiction of its female characters is honestly pretty good. They all have personalities and goals and a good amount of screentime, a lot of time is dedicated to their inner workings and motivations, even side characters like Medea. They're all actively pushing the story along, at least in a couple of routes or instances. I guess Medea's 'I want to be a wife' shtick can be a little off, but considering her character and the fact that none of the other female characters in the story really have that going on, it feels more like just a personality trait of hers than any kind of weird biotruthism. Plenty of women in real life have that as a goal or dream of theirs.

I thought the deal with Medea was that she was just looking for a place to belong and people that actually care for her and that the whole marriage aspect is played up in things like Carnival Phantasm for comedic effect.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

all im saying is if they're animating dead ends they should animate the one where shirou strips issei

I thought they had already done that in UBW.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Finished watching Season 1 of Fate Extra on Netflix only to discover they don't have season 2 yet. :smith: Is there a season 2?

I was enjoying it a lot more than Apocraphy.

That is not surprising to hear as the series was really mediocre besides everything involving Mordred and her master. In fact I would it if they did a spin off series that just focused on them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

kiritsugu is an idiot.

It is hilarious just how stupid he is. He could have spent the entire war pissing about by just giving Saber her scabbard and she would have torn apart everybody else no problem.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Green Tea Erotica posted:

You say this while there is no Luvia in game, how dare you.

As a compromise just add Luvia alongside with more Rin.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah I doubt they thought about it much either, given the whole lack of thought they put into most things in the series. They just happened to create a universe in which whores happened to be magically murdered by a magical being made out of aborted and abandoned babies.

So how would you have handled a character inspired by Jack the Ripper considering the impact they have had on cultural history and how little we actually know about it?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

Kayneth's niece gives him the title in return for a bunch of favors, including putting Kayneth's papers in order and fixing the family's Source Crest.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Waver_Velvet#Becoming_Lord_El-Melloi_II

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Reines_El-Melloi_Archisorte

I think it also helped that he survived a holy grail war which has to have some mileage in mage society.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So when is the second movie coming out in the US?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While Fate Apocrypha may be mediocre it is worth it to just watch all the Mordred scenes on youtube.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All I want to see is Mordred running into Saber and Shirou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was mildly amusing to see a mother trying to find a seat with her 12 or so year old kid during the blood sucking scene.