Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

XSEED registered a domain for Fate/Extella.
http://gematsu.com/2016/04/fateextella-domain-registered-xseed-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is what peak combat efficiency looks like

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Part time...20 hours a day" :stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Everyone loves Nero more than arturia now.

Posited: refuted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdv9S-VTjk

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

kokuto sucks and is NOT dating shiki

U sure

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stair will always be that person

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

stair.....

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

gotta be honest baal this is a pretty good dunk

it's a chapo meme

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah, it's basically Fate CCS, ignoring, uh, everything else about it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rodyle posted:

if you pay attention to everything else about it, it is instead Fate Nanoha

nobody kisses in nanoha, but it turns out that was for the best

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

is illya's voice as weird in FSN as Prisma (mainly asking this based on the FGO CM)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A solution for your "pins of FSN characters getting their faces smushed" needs
https://twitter.com/tartsPR/status/989058556598149121?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

how to get into fate: be a schoolboy and be swayed by thinking Liz is cute

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ccs posted:

I found the VN boring, which should be an embarrassment for a work of entertainment. I don't find the tv adaptions boring so in that respect the original has enough of value for a good studio to make an entertaining product out of what the VN provided.

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ccs posted:

Since I find the basic ideas in the series really appealing I'd definitely play a PC version with proper editing. Especially if they got rid of the H scenes.

The version most legal buyers would play at this point does this and has existed for a long time. It's common for any VN that goes "mainstream"ish since that usually means getting ported or continued on console.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I hated "umu" because she doesn't use it consistently. Sometimes when she's trying to be cute, sometimes when she's trying be tough and I think she even did it in doubt once.

it's just a regular word that people meme'd enough that it doesn't get translated. using it so often is definitely meant to be a tic of how she talks, but it's not a made-up thing for her or anything

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In FGO Nobunaga has a voiceline where she says "umu" but it gets translated to "indeed" or something like that. I also recently played a VN where a princess character frequently said it (though not with Nero-level frequency).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kyte posted:

But also people just want their pet 3K favorites as-is and, like, that's not what Fate as a series has ever been dude shut the gently caress up.

It's less that and more that for a good few years FGO's main Chinese history rep was an incoherent berserker, genderswap with early Part 1 writing, and british nerd with a Zhuge Liang nametag.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

the problem with the america singularity is that it doesnt take an "america is bad" take

It does a little bit? Da Vinci has a whole speech partway through about how the US is kinda dumb

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think a post-FGO TM VN would do fine regardless though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's not filler, that's changing something dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

She does defend her perspective for about a sentence until Rider mega-owns her with another sentence, and then at the very end the lancelot reveal confirms it in her mind. That's her arc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Granted they go on sale like anything else, but yeah, non-indie VNs all sell at regular price-points.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't Kariya's deal more that he's insanely selfish and just wants to front heroism? I think it's awkwardly handled because F/Zero, but

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think there's a disconnect in how broadly people are defining "self-sacrifice", so I think a better way of framing it is that total selflessness is extremely unhealthy if not just disingenuous.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I knew going in that they didn't get as much as people wanted, but I was still thrown when it amounted to a single day out offscreen.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The weirdest thing about Kariya's role in the story is that he's a major catalyst for Kotomine's development, but it's delivered as exposition between him and Gil where they divine his whole character before he's actually done all that much.

Kyte posted:

IIRC the novel did a better job of showing Kariya's thought process. It's mostly an adaptation failure thing.

The novel is also pretty short, I think, which would avoid the issue where he basically doesn't do anything for the first season besides send Lancelot after Gil once and save Rin.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a lot, but none of them are really complete or fully standalone.

For anime you have First Order, which adapts the opening as well as TV and movie adaptations for the last two chapters (Camelot and Babylonia) and the ending, with only Babylonia being complete as of now.

There's two Arc 1 manga that adapt or skip different parts that are currently publishing, and separate manga for each of the 5 Epic of Remnant (Arc 1.5) chapters. There's currently no adaptations of Arc 2, though there is an anthology manga about the antagonists.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To put it more simply the anime is basically a straight adaptation that skipped over the chapters that would be hard to handle with their method, but some find them kind of bland so far since they're pretty no-frills about deviating from the game's script or fleshing out the protagonist.

The manga have a lot more personality but I view them as companion pieces since the appeal is more about seeing a particular author put their own spin on the story and character dynamics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

I am BAFFLED at console exclusivity

what

In japan consoles are decidedly the "mainstream" for a VN release. If anything else they'd probably shoot for a mobile release before PC (and at least one recent success started on mobile)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Nah.
Ciel new design came out many years before Fgo. Mash is the purple-haired Ciel.

Technically Mash is purple-haired herself, being based on a concept and design scrapped from the VN and considered for inclusion in the deen anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I recently read through Tsukihime and since I already know about the VNs and games that follow or spring from it, I was wondering about what manga people would recommend, for any reason. Not looking for anything specific beyond sketching in or playing around with the characters in ways that people find particularly interesting or fun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can assure you that they're already on it with Morgan we have already.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

this is months late but i know the melty blood manga is really good. backalley alliance nightmare gets a little metafictional in a weird way but has fun character interactions.

ah, ty

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One particular mage has a lot of them lying around

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kars can be kinda dumb but the bar for "worst Western TM fans" is set waaaay above that. Even discounting the most obvious actual scumbags the subset of people who obsessively poo poo on TM contributors over things like awkward art pieces or stories from up to 5+ years ago while dismissing their entire independent careers are way worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The console VN does not have explicit sexual content, no.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The major VN localization companies can take years to put out games that require major programing and visual modifications and that's if their employees don't leave or get fired over being paid pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aoko announced for Melty
Mahoyo voiced version for PS4/Switch