Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Silver2195 posted:

Fate/Apocrypha, a light novel series by Yuuichiro Higashide, is the story of the Fourth Holy Grail War in a timeline where the Third War went differently. It was originally planned as a game and features Servants designed by several different Type-Moon employees. The translation is being done one bit at a time on the Beast's Lair forums. Apocrypha has a lot of crazy-sounding ideas: the Apocrypha Fourth War involves 15 (!) Servants, one of whom is a moeblobby female Frankenstein's Monster, and one of the Masters is named Kotomine Shirou. It also has some awful character designs. The result is surprisingly OK, however; Higashide manages to turn some of the rather throwaway ideas from the Fate/Complete Material writeups of Servants from the cancelled game (Siegfried not speaking, everything involving Frankenstein) into coherent characterization.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya is a manga and anime about an alternate universe where Ilya from Fate/Stay Night is a magical girl. It's not very good, although some of the fight scenes are worth watching clips of.

Witch on the Holy Night/Mahou Tsukai no Yoru is the main thing left untranslated. It delves into the backstory of Aoko and Touko Aozaki, who appear in Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai, respectively. Aoko, Shiki Tohno's mentor, is a user of True Magic, while Touko, her sister and enemy, is a magus who uses puppets.

That's about everything covered. There's also a couple short stories, databooks, etc. that I've omitted, and some I've forgotten, but probably nothing too important.

There was someone doing a translation of Mahoyo in French. S/He was up to chapter 7, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Compendium posted:

I think the best part about Saber is when she becomes a huge foodie. I laughed at the part where Shirou asked her about what food was like back in her era and she's just filled with so much hate at the thought of it.

It's not a question of era: she's from Britain.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Heaven's Feel isn't actually the Sakura Route: it's the Kotomine Route.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sylphid posted:

Was in a big department store in Tokyo today, saw this poster on the wall of one of the stores.

Really wish I could have bought it. I like how Shirou is the smallest character in the image.

At least he's being held by the actual best character.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I really hope so. That song and all its variations was basically the one thing I felt the VN soundtrack did a 100% right. In contrast, everything else was either improved upon in later adaptions or replaced entirely. :v:

What, no love for Golden King or Light and Darkness? For shame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

He's not saying they're bad, he's saying future remixes and different versions are better, which they are.

Golden King -Deviation-
Light and Shadow

I'm pretty sure Code ZTS stuff are fan-made covers. Awesome fan covers, but still.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm playing (reading) through the french fanslation of Mahoyo, and it's amazing how beautiful the game is. It makes Fate look like the original release of Tsukihime.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

There's a french translation? Got a link? My french is rusty but I could make it work.

http://moontrad.fr/

It's not finished, only up to chapter 7 out of I have no clue how many (my google-fu failed after minutes of searching, and then I gave up because I'm lazy.) Some of the side-stories you unlock as you go have also been translated. So far the translation seems okay, if a bit too literal in parts (at least I assume that's why you'll sometimes get sentences with really weird/awkwared structure).

The soundtrack is also really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We'll see which one finishes first, I guess. I'll probably stay with the french one: it seems like I barely use my own language anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sylphid posted:

As far as I know Arondight is completely made up and is way more modern in origin than anything else related to Lancelot. As far as his combat abilities go, no need to go into a big explanation about those. He was supposed to be the best knight and the only one who could beat Arthur in a sword fight. For another one of his abilities, his disguises are a reference to many stories about Lancelot using disguises, like in the story of Elain of Astolat.

But his qualification for the Berserker class comes from two things: his affair with Elaine of Corbenic, where Guinevere's rejection of his affair caused him to go mad with rage for two years until the Holy Grail cured him of it. The other part of it is rampage to save Guinevere from burning at the stake, which was in Monty Python when Lancelot just goes into that castle and starts going out of his way to kill everyone for basically no reason.

I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that any one can be summoned as Berserker, getting a tremendous stat boost but losing their sanity in the process.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still disappointed that the next episode previews aren't Tiger Dojo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finished the translated parts of Mahoyo. It's pretty good! I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of it.

There's a of similarities between Rin and Aoko, I found. Both are powerful mages, both have a nasty temper, both are prideful and both tried to kill the male lead in a chase sequence in an empty building. There's enough differences that it doesn't feel like a complete rethread though.

I like the crazy reaction faces. It's endearing.

Holy poo poo that Amusement Park two-part battle. :stare: That was pretty amazing. For all his weird habits, Nasu knows how to write a good fight scene.

I'm not sure how to feel about the main character. It feels almost like they managed to create a character so bland he goes out the other side and become interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It switches perspective every once in a while.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

IIRC, ORT is meant to be like a bonus boss in JRPGs, kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3nIH7E9Z0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I dunno, I thought Shirou and Saber came off more as bros than romantic interest in this version, which I liked!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite scene from Tsukihime is still that time when the two serial killers met at ngiht and had a nice conversation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nasu probably skimmed a wikipedia article, which is way more than most in japan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I'm replaying Fate at the moment and god there is so much :techno: BS at the start. "Ghost Liner", what the gently caress, I don't think I've ever heard that before anywhere else in the franchise. This isn't that complicated you don't need to keep inventing make believe phrases and words.

Nasu is just channelling his idol Andrew Hussie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What I'm looking forward to the most is Kirei eating Mapo Tofu.

(more seriously, Kirei vs True Assassin is also a good fight)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tonfa posted:

This but unironically.

Why do you think I was ironic?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This Illusion at the end! Yesssss. :allears:

April!? Nooooooooo. :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The real reason is that Shirou cannot believe anyone could be attracted to thrash like him that should have died that day in the fire, because he has massive issues.

The joke reason is that he's dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Welp, guess I done got told.

E: In my defense, the jokes were really unfunny.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 28, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The plot stuff in F/HA is legit great (Bazett is the best :colbert:) and some (most?) of the funny stuff is legit funny. I did not care for the fanservice much.

Also more of the truly important characters: Taiga-Sensei, Mitsuzuri, and those three girls.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

You get to see the Archer vs Berserker fight. Archer uses Unlimited Blade Works and has a few dramatic lines during the fight that hint as his identity.

Incidentally, seeing the Archer vs Berserker fight is the only remotely worthwhile part of the DEEN anime.

Despite that episode having terrible animation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

True Assassin has the amazing fight scene against Kotomine, so he's alright in my book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thinking about it, next Fate spinoff they should just have Shiki summoned as Assassin, to troll all the "Could Shiki kill a servant?" people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I don't know why, but I was under the impression Illya was the one who created Seylla and Leysritt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Twiddy posted:

Huh just looked through the flowchart and you're right. I thought that people thinking that Kirie fight = good end was just a consequence of how most people played the game, but it seems like going from Kirie fight = it's spring is actually a safety net. Fun.

That moment when Light and Darkness comes in...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I started playing this stupid gacha game for 23 days now... and I'm now completely addicted. If anyone wants to add me, my friend code is 516,606,591. I've got no 5-Star servants though, and only 3 4-Stars (the two Halloween welfares and Heracles). I did draw best boy Angra Mainyu today, stuck at lvl 25.

I should have known there would be a thread for other victims of this game on SA, I should have google searched earlier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, got a second Angra Mainyu. Clearly I'm on the right path.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally got a second 4-star Servant and it's loving Nursery Rhyme goddamit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Playing through America right now. I love it.

"Edison: Karna-kun. *blush*"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My god, Hassan and CuLancer's dodge skill is so good.

I keep spending my Quartz on single rolls that give me jackshit. I also just spent all the Mana Prisms I'd been saving on Fou's for mah boy Angra, instead of waiting for the 1000-prism CE as I'd been planning. Good self-control right there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think you're supposed to save your quartz for 10-rolls because it guarantees a 4* card. :ssh:

I know, but I keep spending it anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I hope there's gonna be some Black Tallows in the next event or I'm never gonna be able to full ascend Angra. Seriously, there's only one spot where it can, maybe, drop once.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, but the early parts of Camelot have been beating the poo poo out of me so I need to upgrade my teams.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Right now I'm stuck facing Dio. Once I got Based Hassan's Zabanya to trigger it's instakill, but the Djinns killed me afterwards (with less than 200 hp left :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kidgamesh got a NP upgrade quest, woo! He and Robin are my best archers.

I don't see much difference, but I guess the numbers are bigger now.