Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It kinda hurts your odds if you're summoning a guy whose own origin story starts with "this guy was a rapist for so long and so brazenly that the people convinced the gods to intervene".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why does Fate refused to let anyone have a beard unless their story specifically mentions that they aren't supposed to have a beard? Is it like because we're in the fem-Arthur universe everyone's beard status was also reversed?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

This is why Apocrypha's character designs are garbage - an entire two servants have reasonable, historically-appropriate beards, and they didn't even bother to give Jeanne a lush, flowing Bandholz.
Fate has failed on the beard front since long before Apocrypha.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nasuverse Gilgamesh has next to nothing to do with mythological Gilgamesh, unless you're assuming he's only from the "I'm the world's most prolific rapist" stage of mythological Gilggy's character arc. He is however very similar to historical Alexander the Great in both appearance and personality.

Nasuverse Alexander the Great has next to nothing to do with historical Alexander the Great. He is however very similar to mythological Gilgamesh in both appearance and personality.

edit: Something that really bugs me though about Gilgamesh in these stories is the "first hero" bit. This is flatly isn't true. He is from the oldest surviving work of literature but within his own story Gilgamesh references older heroes from past stories that either haven't survived to the present day or just never transitioned from oral story to writing.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know it'd probably be easier to know that if they didn't include explicit references to Enkidu whose existence should indicate you're in the part of his life that produces a chiller Gilgamesh.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Same thing happened when I went to a local screening of Dredd. Some parents are bound and determined to ignore the MPAA rating.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Frankenstein weighs 106 pounds despite being a cyborg, by the way.
Maybe that's why she had so little impact on the show overall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's difficult to imagine, but Fate Apocrypha manages.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Avicebron is the most uncomfortable character in the show and that's an achievement. He's literally a Jewish wizard using the blood of children to power his magic. How did not no point out what a bad idea that was during production?

The idea of Shakespeare as a servant is great. His actual execution is straight up wasted potential the character. Why they made him a fanboy for fightmans is something I will never understand.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean all Fate characters bar Alexander look like children.

Endorph posted:

*watching a show in which a ten year old girl wears a thong and the camera lingers lovingly on her rear end* the real issue here is that there's a jewish wizard
I had honestly completely forgotten that character existed. Does she show back up? I've been trudging through the garbage fire but haven't caught back up yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes and the Made in Abyss anime removed most of the manga's sexualization of children. You can change things in adaptation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

whatever the answer is, the question is moot once they get around to adding 5* Ruler Hitler in FGO
Eventually they'll get around to making a big titted lady version of Torquemada wielding the Alhambra Decree.

So real question. Is there a reason why some of the female servants have elf ears?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watching Apocrypha feels like watching late 90s WCW. The booking is awful, you get dumb gimmicks to cover up for bad choreography, and the actual fights are a confusing mess.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can't really say yet, but Franky is probably Rey Mysterio.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mordred is actually entertaining to watch, hates the rest of the cast, and disappears for extended periods of time. If she gets roped into a terrible story line that destroys any enjoyment of her character and makes her look completely incompetent, I'd say she's spot on for Ric Flair.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

"Shirou is misogynistic" and "Shirou is a complicated character" and "Shirou is good, actually" do not have to be mutually exclusive concepts
See the narrator in Fight Club.

Blockhouse posted:

It's not impossible to imagine someone being put off from the series by how he acts in the Fate route because of hiding any kind of actual insight into his character until a thousand words later. Hell, I thought he profoundly sucked the entire way through that route but people told me he got better, and while he does I couldn't begrudge anyone wanting to tap out before then.
Yeah I've only seen the anime and done a goodly portion of the fate route. He is by no means the most unpleasant light novel protagonist, but he is among the most boring.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Having a huge amount of explanation as to why something is boring does not negate it being boring in the first place. Also a static character examined in excruciating detail is fairly common in novels, particularly long ones.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Now if only they didn't waste so much time explaining them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

How is Siegfried's character design so ugly? Like I wouldn't expect to find something that unappealing outside of early Age of Sigmar designs and deviantart.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really more American Protestantism but dressed in Catholicism's cloths.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anyone who got it on PC months ago could have told you that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

that would require mordred to gently caress which would require her not to be a dork
Mordred's characterization has consistently been drunk trailer park woman. Having a kid or two that she shouts at all the time would be perfectly in keeping.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A good choice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The last Twilight movie doubles as one of the greatest comedies of our day.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

yeah aside from the baby stuff in the last book there's nothing really egregious about it especially in a post-fifty shades of grey world

the actual screaming hate stephanie meyer got seems a lot weirder nowadays
Also the Twilight imprinting stuff isn't any worse than the weird pedo stuff in Prisma Illya.

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess you can argue that it’s better-designed to spawn those cults than most works, if you follow me. Like, any sufficiently popular work of fiction stands a chance of developing cults, but Twilight gave cult leaders an instruction manual. I’m prepared to defer to the folks with experience on this one.
Said the man posting in a thread about a body of work primarily centered around relationships with a pretty hosed up power dynamic.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fate like most anime could benefit from an editor wielding a pair of hedge clippers and zero sense of mercy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

generalizations about anime are bad, imo, and while fate is overlong the homelife stuff would be the last thing id cut.
No of course not, you cut the repeating exposition and cut down the really long boring laser fights.

I will generalize anime just as much as I generalize YA fiction and Hollywood movies, thank you very much. :colbert:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I haven't actually watched UBW movie, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

I've said it previously but I don't think there is a way to win, really. I'm happy with how UFOTable has been handling it. UBW is not my favorite thing in the world but it's about as good as I can hope for from an adaptation. It sounds like what you are talking about is more like a reimagining, or interpretation. At a certain point the question comes up "if you aren't gonna do the original story justice why not just write a whole new story?"
Ceaseless exposition about how a show's magic works isn't really an integral part of the story. You can pop off a few lines about the parts that are actually story relevant and the rest should just be shown because you're working in a visual medium. In print/vn it's significantly more acceptable to have weird expository digressions because they lack any means to just show you the stuff on screen. Unfortunately the fate adaptations that we have are dedicated to telling not showing because whenever they actually show magic it's generally just in dumb DBZ laser fights. Just for point of comparison Moby Dick has a whole capture devoted to Ishmael looking at lamps and expositing via internal monologue about how sailors use lamps and how these differ between different types of boats. This is naturally either completely cut or reduced to set design and 1-2 lines of dialogue in just about every adaptation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I mean Monogatari, for all its faults, still always had extremely well constructed dialogue and rapport with its characters. LE has not really featured any of that.
If this is even remotely true in the Japanese, the English subtitlers must have been just completely asleep at the wheel.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

UberJew posted:

if everyone who got rich just hosed off to lounge in whatever hedonism they preferred rather than actively making the world as terrible as possible in order to get even richer capitalism wouldn't be anywhere near as bad :v:
I mean that's what most normal people who get rich do. The problem is capitalism rewards the largest sociopath with ever increasing amounts of money and power. So you most people drop off right after they realize they no longer need to work in order to maintain a life of comfort, and the only ones who proceed to get richer than that are weirdos.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watched the First Order movie. It was surprisingly good. If the game is the Time Squad style adventure that the movie promised I might have to pick it up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So Type Moon aficionados. Were the dick worms in the pit an invention of Gen or were they pre-existing in the universe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I just saw a clip of slightly older Shiro v genderbent Gil.

I’m guessing that’s a Prisma Illya thing?
It's from that movie and it's pretty drat poo poo. Even leaving aside all the pedobait stuff, it's really really boring and overly exposition heavy even for Fate. It's also got a lot more failed comedy in normal, which is honestly worse than the failed drama. It even adds new terrible characters like Ruby who severs no real purpose besides dispensing exposition on already explained topics and making jokes so bad that they make Alf look like the height of comedy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well not really looking forward to HA then, cause Ruby was a truly abysmally terrible character.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's a one time joke.
Well then no need to scare me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mindblast posted:

So a mate of mine discovered Fate and he wants to give it a go. He's mostly just watching anime instead of reading so I was about to point him towards the first series but I suddenly recalled that was totally garbage. The ubw series was much better received. Is it a good starting point though, or does it expect people to be up to speed as to what happened in route 1?
Honestly having started watching the original series after finishing UBW, it's a lot better, even if the animation is extremely budget 2000s. A whole lot less explaining, more levity, and if you're watching the dub generally more room to localize instead of the extremely literal treatment given to UBW by Netflix in both sub and dub.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The wiki would be a lot more charming if it had the same sort of humor about it's weirdness as the Transformers wiki.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I hadn't considered what it would be like to watch a marvel movie but with all the establishing scenes and jokes cut out, but hey the Unlimited Bladeworks movie did me a solid on that end.

At least I can see why people wanted it rebooted as a proper show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

D) literally Odin.