Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean the animation was worse, being a peak 2000s budget anime, but the original fate was the best of the animated tv shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are also pretty massive parts of the VN that could be cut with no impact on the story. It doesn't have to be longer than War and Peace, probably at most as long as Atlas Shrugged.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 2, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No I mean the endless re-explaining of magic mechanics. The cooking must stay.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

zero is best experienced in the form of screenshots cut together into comics, because whoever directed the anime had an unusually poor grasp of timing and cuts even for anime.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There being a reason for a bad character does not change that character's overall quality.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like the wish grafter being an evil prick hasn't been a surprise since the literal story entitled Monkey's Paw. You generally want to have some point to the wish twisting or at least make the end results interesting in an of themselves. Just saying that the twist is internally consistent with a dumb magic system doesn't do either of those things. Ideally the way the wish it twisted tells you just as much about the wisher or the wish granter as the wish they attempted to make. Even the Wishmaster movies, shlocky as they were, made the whole point weaseling your way out of the genie killing you.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Have I been rused by a Terrible Opinions alt?
I would never praise ufotable. The best fate is made by Studio Deen and Delightworks.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I have had several conversations where I talk about how frustrating Zero is because its just a constant parade of annoying dudes talking down to Saber and telling her how wrong she is, where the other person is like "Well, she is wrong though..."
Really the whole series is bad about letting Saber actually articulate her ideas, but Zero is the worst about it, but her completely failing to interject at all during Archer's big rear end John Galt speech in the UBW anime is quite frankly embarrassing given how juvenile it was. Hoping that's different in the VN, but given my experience so far I'm not exactly expecting it.

edit: also a lot of talk about repetition in the VN's writing seems to be couched in a belief that this is a problem of cultural differences. I really don't think it is. Japanese media outside of anime and VN's is more or less free of that sort of pointless repetition and Western fantasy/nerd fiction is similarly filled with it. The problem is being amateur nerd fiction without an editor, not some deep divide in cultural expectations of fiction.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 11, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd be a lot more willing to accept that if Shirou didn't have so much difficulty refuting a whole bunch of really shallow whining. You'd she'd give him a tag out.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well I hope it comes across that way once i get to that point in the VN, but the anime adaptation just made it a slog by deciding it had to be one of those huge skip the intro music level fights and blocking it as a fight rather than any more introspective struggle.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean it's perfectly acceptable to say you're turned off by something being misogynistic even if it isn't misogynistic 100% of the time. Just like it's perfectly acceptable to say you're turned off by the racism in how Conan stories characterize certain ethnicities even if those characterizations generally go away the later you get in Conan. It's not a personal attack on you for liking them nor is it meant to devalue those later parts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

saber and mordred are trans icons
The simplification of Mordred's plot via magic handwavium and the removal of a lot of the weird drama/sex stuff from Camelot always seemed weird to me for Fate. You'd think anime as it is it would embrace that sort of thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah I was referring to Arthur being down to pound generally and thus accidentally incest version. I guess sexually active bisexual/lesbian girl Arthur was just a bit too wild or a ride.

I can naturally understand avoiding the whole magical date rape version like happened in the Once and Future King.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

and yet none of the bad ends are "well Shirou you didn't make a move, so I took ya girl"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

T H White still has Morgause as the mother, you basically only get Morgan as Modred's mom in stories that consolidate the two completely into a single character. Which also sidesteps Gawain, Agravain, and co being Arthur's nephews.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Presumably she has normal hair rather than snakes out of cowardice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Eh I'm just kvetching about one of my pet bugaboos; which is fiction that has the freedom to make its characters look however it likes settling on humans or things that look like humans in light makeup. Especially when the source material says they should look stranger. Fate isn't as bad as say Supernatural but it's still pretty bad about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's all in how that is communicated to the audience and whether or not it's actually shown to be wrong, or just absent in the later part of the story. Though that main character that seems to have been a point of contention here was since been claimed to be an invention of the fan translator so this could all be moot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ledgy posted:

Yeah I was pretty sure while watching that her myth had to do with kids but even so, it's a bloody war, lady :argh:
It doesn't. She was just given that character trait, because woman. The cloeset you get from her myth is not being able to have kids with his husband due to both of them being turned into lions and the Greeks having no idea how lion biology worked.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

No, it's directly from her myth. Her dad wanted a son, so when she was born he left her on a mountain to die and she got raised by animals. Jack is an amalgamation of thousands of kids exactly like her, and diving inside her world was basically someone unearthing Atalanta's biggest, darkest trauma-button and performing an Irish jig on it.
Eh fair enough. Though Jack being a victim is still an offensively bad idea.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's still pretty gross.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Space Flower posted:

It's practically the mission statement of the Fate series to take killers from history/mythos and give them sympathetic angles. Why single out Jack in this regard? She's not even the biggest historic killer turned into a cute girl voiced by Cardcaptor Sakura.
I don't think there have been any other highly sexual serial killers given a positive make over at least in the TV shows. The only other one present I can think of is Giles who was cast as a monster despite the real life charges possibly being slander.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah ill never forget the scene in the show where everyone goes 'boy jack it sure was great when you murdered those hookers' and then everyone put her on their shoulders going 'jack! jack! jack!'
Positive is probably the wrong word, but it's still a weirdly sympathetic portrayal with a reactionary motive to the character's actions coded as sympathetic,. This makes it problematic for basically all the same reasons Jason Vorhees is. Where the killer is nominally is villain but their victims are uncomfortably coded as deserving their fate, as is the case when the people Jason kills happens to be doing thing that go against conservative social norms. No one ever cheers Jason but you'd have to be kinda dense to not see the reactionary messaging int the films having him be a narrative punishment for misbehavior.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really the 'she's made from the souls of aborted/murdered children' thing. Like stupid character design aside what she does in the present is fine. But her backstory being "is Jack the Ripper" combined with the aborted children thing kinda turns a case of serial murders into a gross karmic punishment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

Literally nothing in the text or subtext ever remotely implies murder is a good thing or that the people she killed in the past somehow deserved it, and in fact everyone except Atalante treats her as a horrible murder monster, which she is, and Atalante only treats her that way because of her own issues, and she's fundamentally incapable of understanding what she's doing as murder.

I do not think that the writers of Fate/Apocrypha think whores should be murdered.
Yeah I doubt they thought about it much either, given the whole lack of thought they put into most things in the series. They just happened to create a universe in which whores happened to be magically murdered by a magical being made out of aborted and abandoned babies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

So how would you have handled a character inspired by Jack the Ripper considering the impact they have had on cultural history and how little we actually know about it?
Literally anything besides a character who quite obviously started as "how do we appeal to the pedophiles in the audience".

Plutonis posted:

Strange/Fake Jack
Yeah that

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

so, uh, no. No. The thing you're saying is factually untrue.
Then why call her Jack the Ripper? Why did the author?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you actually interact with Fate stuff past skimming a wiki or something dude.
I've given it all a shot, but that doesn't really explain to me why they author looked at their decision and saw it as a good idea. The closest I got was the author wanted a pedo-bait assassin and was trying to backwards justify it through "lore".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think it's pretty simple. The author wanted to include a design like that, and stumbled into unfortunate character implications because they were wanting to justify the slutty child design without considering anything else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The design sucks rear end and no one thinks it's good. but it's pretty pathetic how you transparently pivoted to this after you showed you didn't know what you were talking about at all regarding the other stuff.
Sorry I don't have as much investment in the deep lore of a bad show.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah its pretty pointless to have a conversation if

is your comeback
Sorry but saying you shouldn't engage with what's in the actual text of the the show because it isn't really what's going on because "lore" is loving dumb.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The last three episodes were released separately as a pseudo second season as appears to be the fashion of modern anime.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

woke: currently rewatching the shirou cooking anime again for purposes of theorycrafting how it fits into canon
well that's simple. It is the real canon and everything else i just the crew playing smash bros with very dramatic roleplaying.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

being best boy probably helps

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Apocron posted:

Is any of the TV stuff after Fate/Zero worth watching?
The cooking show, and the Studio Deen adaptation with the English or Spanish dubs on. Nothing else really.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given experiences with kids and parents at SAW movies it's honestly a 50/50 on whether it's a parent fan or a child fan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dogsicle posted:

movies shouldn't even be 2 hours
because the minimum length should be three hours long.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Caliburn being the sword in the stone and Excalibur being the sword from the Lady of the Lady definitely predates Fate. It's present in old D&D books and given Gygax's tendency to take his stuff from pop fiction of the day I'm guessing it predates those as well. Might be something from Once and Future King?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

mallory was history's first Canon Pedant - nobody else would have found it necessary to do this.
St Thomas Aquinas would like a word.

"Further, if it be said that what was changed into seed was not that which belong to the truth of human nature in the flesh of the men eaten, but something not belonging to the truth of human nature—on the contrary: Let us suppose that some one is fed entirely on embryos in which seemingly there is nothing but what belongs to the truth of human nature since whatever is in them is derived from the parents."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

assuming I'm not misremembering, yeah, UBW touches very briefly on Shinji being awful to her but it's mostly for the sake of setting Shinji up as a bigger piece of poo poo than previously assumed (Fate makes him look like a dick but not the total loving monster he is in UBW/HF). none of the Zouken stuff is touched on at all and i don't think he even gets mentioned by name until HF.
???

In Fate he's an attempted school shooter equivalent and completely acknowledged domestic abuser. Him also being rapist is completely unsurprising and very consistent with everything that came before. The real baffling thing is that Shirou doesn't immediately take wizard bloodsports as an excuse to murder Shinji upon hearing he's in the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A good boy doesn't think "I better not piss off Shinji otherwise he'll go back home and beat his sister". Even if murder is off the table, surely inviting Sakura to stay at either of the two, and later three, available houses without abusive dickbags in them wouldn't be. Given that the people someone is harming should always have higher priority than the abuser.