Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

What removal?

probably means mordred being the product of incest between arthur and morgan le fey/morgause

which in various stories took place either via mistaken identity (mallory) or sorcerous deception (a lot of modern arthuriana)

mordred being a homonculus in Fate lets you skip over a lot of complicated shenanigans, and avoids addressing why saber would knock up her half-sister

basically it is a tad funny that the guy writing a weird sex game would cut most of the weird sex stuff out of the arthurian mythos material he was borrowing from

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Arturia did in fact get a penis for a spell (Merlin, don't ask), and Mordred is the product of her sperm obtained via seduction by Morgan.

I recall she was bedonged for a while, but I thought they had glossed over exactly how Morgan obtained the material

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean she's clearly into irisviel in fate/zero and rin in f/sn

i mean the question isn't whether saber is queer (im not sure what you'd call her but it ain't straight), but how she would end up boning down w/ her sinister vamp half-sibling

arthur stories have handled this in various ways

in mallory, they have a youthful fling before arthur has been crowned king, been married, or been made aware that morgause (iirc that uses morgause rather than morgan in this role) is his sibling. People in older arthuriana are generally more DTF since it's kludged together from assorted celtic myths and french lais, two very horny literary traditions.

in T.H. white, morgan date-rapes arthur with magic. this is used in the Boorman film and is probably what most people are familiar with now. It's pretty gross, the main reason it's there I reckon is as a parallel to uther's earlier rape of morgan's mother, ygraine.

Some modern stuff (like the show from a few years back, with katie mcgrath as morgan) runs with actual romantic tension between morgan and arthur

my guess is the fate crew just did not want to pick between the various implications there, and thus have not specified

they might have been in a bind since the arthur that saber is most like is probably the one from Idylls, who is not DTF

iirc Idylls also doesn't address where exactly Mordred came from
Tennyson was not gonna go around writing sex freak shenanigans

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 13, 2018

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

Fate's kinda weird in that aspect since Agravain makes reference to him being related to Morgan and Gawain makes reference to him being related to Agravain but they never square that circle, and neither of them talk about being related to Arthur I'm pretty sure. I'd have to reread Camelot to be sure, though.

i guess this is the basic issue with doing the All Myths Are True thing

now that I think about it, it's sorta weird that a series that likes to play around hip-deep in fraught gender politics like Fate has not done more with Morgan goddamn Le Fay of all people

like Medea, one of the originators of the Conniving Female Sorceress villain archetype
like Medea, partially reclaimed over the years as a feminist icon

i'm sure she comes up more in some of the myriad spinoffs I have not consumed, but the parallels with Medea alone you'd think would warrant more Morgan references in the base fate material

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's not even remotely inconsistent seeing how that was before Atalante got the mind link backstory of Jack though?

Like it's not just 'being a child', it's 'horrifically abused and killed children looking for the family and life they could never have' that's the tipping point. Once she got that context, she wanted to try to save Jack and the rest of the children of the world with her wish.

also, hadn't Amakusa just previously hosed her up by giving a big speech about how every wish except his was futile and pointless

this naturally would put one in a belligerent sort of mood

the rest of her team wouldn't have been affected as much by this same event, since they all either didn't have a wish or had one that they could fulfill without the aid of the grail

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 18, 2018

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i mean i think everyone can agree we would not be having this conversation in this way if jack had pants
thats probably not in question

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

broke: /extra is an incoherent mess, how many kilos of weird russian party drugs did kinoko nasu consume before coming up with this abstruse bullshit continuity

woke: currently rewatching the shirou cooking anime again for purposes of theorycrafting how it fits into canon

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the finale of the cooking show should just be saber and taiga failing repeatedly to make instant ramen while everyone who would normally cook for them is busy elsewhere

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

the final episode will be about gil cooking kotomine a meal to celebrate their anniversary

gilgamesh need not cook: he can simply summon all of the world's treasured foods from within his vaults

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Kayneth's niece gives him the title in return for a bunch of favors, including putting Kayneth's papers in order and fixing the family's Source Crest.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Waver_Velvet#Becoming_Lord_El-Melloi_II

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Reines_El-Melloi_Archisorte

i like the premise that kayneth was such an unrelenting shitlord that even his own horrible family saw his death as merely an opportunity to replace him with somebody easier to work with

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2018

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

It occurs to me that Rin in Extra is Rin from FSN's niece, making her Sakura's daughter, but she still looks exactly like Rin. :psyduck:

iirc wasn't it noted at some point that sakura would have looked more like rin if it weren't for the mattous' torture

~how the torture managed to change her hair color, eye color, height, general appearance, who knows

magic etc.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Kariya Matou disagrees.

did gen urobuchi anticipate the virgin/chad meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Caliburn being the sword in the stone and Excalibur being the sword from the Lady of the Lady definitely predates Fate. It's present in old D&D books and given Gygax's tendency to take his stuff from pop fiction of the day I'm guessing it predates those as well. Might be something from Once and Future King?

arthur having 2 distinct swords goes all the way back to mallory , who invented it to reconcile contradictions in the (already extremely nebulous) canon of vulgate literature. In Monmouth and earlier the sword is always called caliburn or one of the welsh antecedents

mallory was history's first Canon Pedant - nobody else would have found it necessary to do this.

I don't recall whether mallory named the first sword Caliburn and the second Excalibur though.

They might have both been named Excalibur (which is what the Boorman film uses, and that's based on Mallory more than it is based on anything else) or the first sword might have been unnamed

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 24, 2019