Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Using the Egyptian busts in place of the characters' faces for the "girl's party" discussion was an inspired choice and good bit of visual foreshadowing for the end of the episode.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played Tsukihime yet. Is this the kind of thing where I should just hold out for the remake?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for Tsukihime takes. I think I will just check the original game out if the remake is likely to be pretty different and still potentially years down the line.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Uh, I think it depends. The Tsukihime was the first Type Moon Visual Novel, when they were just tiny fan-studio and it shows. Compared to F/SN it's rougher around the edges in almost every aspect. It's art oscillates between bad and mediocre, it has a lot of even more random dead ends, parts of it are even slower and more plodding than the slow, plodding parts of Heavens Feel route, it adheres to a lot of anime cliches that later works subvert or outright ignore and instead of handful of mercifully short H-scenes of F/SN (or none, if you have enhanced edition), there's shitload of them, some of them pretty long, some of them seriously creepy in a bad way and all of them with even worse writing than F/SN ones. If you can stomach all of that, Tsukihime has some pretty great story and world, with bunch of memorable characters and overall it's significantly more horror-like, but that's pretty big if.

For what it's worth, the last time I replayed Tsukihime was something like 7 years ago, and I don't really feel the need to replay it ever again. :shrug:
This in particular gives me some pretty reasonable expectations.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 5, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I played and finished Tsukihime. It was definitely rough around the edges but I liked the game overall. Real curious to see how the remake will change things up too, especially if they actually do the Sacchin route and such.

Ryukishi07 must have played this, right? It feels like Umineko takes a decent bit of inspiration from it.

EDIT: Oh yeah of course he has, that one Higurashi character is based on Ciel.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 7, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing Kagetsu Tohya and Kohaku locked me up in a dungeon forever because I failed her surprise trivia quiz.

This game seems way more complicated than Tsukihime.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I just saw that. What in the hell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That scene is really good. I like how it almost reads as a bizarre parody of the “morning tea with Akiha” bits.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it's totally adaptable, you just have to actually change stuff. The big problem Fate adaptations suffer from is that they seem terrified of actually adapting anything, instead preferring to go 1:1. Babylonia is suffering the worst for this, even if it has its moments, while Fate/Zero is the one I'd say was willing to change things up a bit.
This is why I'm really curious about the Camelot movies. They might be able to sidestep Babylonia's problems if they're smart about it, though we could end up with something akin UBW 2010's hypercondension...except across two movies instead of just one I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah there’s plenty of stuff in Fate and UBW that’s supposed to come off differently on reread once you have fuller context of the full VN.

One of my favorite examples is in the Fate route when Ilya of all characters derides Archer as “just some Heroic Spirit nobody has ever even heard of”.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m five movies into Garden of Sinners and at no point yet have they done any kind of gardening.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think there are some things to like in FSN 2006. It has some nice music tracks, it brought in the voice cast, Archer vs. Heracles is kind of cool, and I think the date with Saber episode is probably an improvement over the VN tbh.

Otherwise yeah its pretty heavily flawed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Get Jordan Peele to do live action Fate IMO.

Like honestly the way he mines effective drama/horror out of the goofiest premises you've ever heard of reminds me of a lot of this Type Moon stuff at its best.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 10, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alteria.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah like I’m excited for HF3 but it will probably be at least a year before I can actually see it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ryoga posted:

Gudako absolutely does show up in the first order OVA, she just kinda gets blown up by the bomb with the other masters.
Weird for the main villain to be taken out so early.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It seems this news has been out there for a few days already but Yuuji Yamaguchi, who directed Deen's Fate/stay night adaptation and the UBW movie, has passed away.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 10, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I bet if all of the goons of the world teamed up, we could beat up Gilgamesh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The first sex scene in non-Realta Nua version of the Fate route also has Rin explicitly realize she has sexual interest in other women after she uh does stuff with Saber for a bit.

Like that's not subtext. That's just text.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't really have any problem with Shinji just being an evil rear end in a top hat (His motivation/backstory seems reasonably well established to me anyways in the VN), though it does beg the question why Shirou was ever friends with this guy to begin with.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd argue even the endless cooking scenes are still doing something most of the time too. Even in Fate and UBW routes they're still a mundane, grounded contrast to the over the top nature of Holy Grail War, and in HF there's a lot about them that's tied into Sakura's character and her general story in that route.

Also props to everyone's posts about Shinji's character. It's given me a lot to think about in regards to how he's used in the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Start with The Argonautica IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked that part in Apo where Shakespeare just trolls Jeanne for like an episode and a half or whatever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Cu doesn’t reveal his identity up front either, though he yells about Gae Bolg so much that it makes it pretty obvious who he is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would summon an Alter Ego class Heisenberg in FGO tbh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gilgamesh is going to get in so he can reclaim all of the anime swords that have been stolen from him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well according to VNDB, the visual novel database, Extra, Extella, and Extella Link are visual novels. :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I watched the Tsukihime anime. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, but was still pretty weak for the most part.

Was this thing always planned to be one cour? Watching it, I kind of wondered if there wasn't a plan at some point to do a second season based on the Hisui and Kohaku routes, since their characters are kind of just left with not much to do here, and it would sort of explain the decision to mash the Arcueid/Ciel/Akiha routes together the way they were. The execution of that mishmash still wasn't particularly good mind you, but I wonder if it wouldn't explain some of why this show is the way it is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I won't be satisfied until I see Shiki fight a chair in 1080p.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are the English translations of the Garden of Sinners light novels worth the time? I was thinking of checking them out at some point but various online peoples have accused them of being inaccurate to the point of being fanfiction.

Is this actually the case or is it fans just exaggerating issues?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for responses everyone. Just to be clear I've seen the movies already and quite liked them- that's why I was curious about the novels.

Kyte posted:

If you mean the cokesakto translations, I've seen evidence he'd added, changed or removed paragraphs and it's not just the local translators being pedantic.
Yeah I think that was the guy I saw people criticizing. That's pretty unfortunate though if changes are that drastic.

quote:

E: Google found me something. Apparently at some point BL went through some passages. https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1NEZzQsil7Zgkajr6ESYIoW1JNN6aeBuG4kE2SZWghXw#h.aj3s5lvyxjh3
Interesting, I'll look through this later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ANIME IS SAVED

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm glad video games are saved too now.

Really can't wait to see what a modernized version of Tsukhime is going to be like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even if Remake is terrible, oh well. The original will always still be there much like how the Moon will always shine in the night sky.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Isn't that outfit given to Saber by Rin or Taiga or someone?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd argue Medea is also meant as a parallel to Sakura (Maybe not to quite the degree that Medusa is, but relatively close), and is the reason why Rule Breaker is integral to climax of Heaven's Feel.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not even sure Nasu rewrote Medusa and Medea all that much tbh. Like he's hardly the first by any stretch of the imagination to paint them in a fairly sympathetic light.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinji is the character I had in mind for a Jason parallel. You could maybe argue Zouken too I guess, since they're both dudes who rely on exploiting Sakura's powerful magic to accomplish their own goals against her will.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 14, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks like they really have shaken up Ciel's route a bit, which is cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

#ReleaseTheEnglishCut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I foolishly hold out hope that one day the Remake will be in English in some form. In fact my hope is so great and so powerful that it gave me Mystic Eyes of Death Perception which I then used to split the infinitive in the previous sentence.