Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Shielder? What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Last I checked the Commie translation stalled out last year or so. And I don't think any other big groups bothered to pick it up after Commie said they were gonna do it.

Commie isn't stalled, the translation's finished and they've been in editing/TLC. It's slow as all hell but progress trucks on.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Melty Blood is apparently coming to the West on Steam.

I'm pumped if this means matchmaking.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

like do we even have a ballpark date on when that poo poo's coming out

I'm guessing from the God Eater delays that Ufotable is pretty slammed so it won't be like this winter season or something crazy soon.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Namtab posted:

Saber alter is my wife

Santa belongs to all of the good little boys and girls.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Nero dressed like a dude in life because she found it more fashionable.

I thought she dressed like a furry

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Namtab posted:

drat, this conversation between shirou and saber on the bridge is pretty cool

is that when they talk about the last war?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Tsukihime . . . is happening!™

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Was cleaning my figs and noticed that Magical Amber's syringes were missing, which could have only happened last time I moved my room around and vacuumed. please send an adult

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Question Time: Based on the source material, is Fate/Extra
1. As good as Stay/Night on a relative scale?
2. Bound to be adapted well by Shaft?

I'm not much for comparison but yes to the second one. The story and chars are good and the setting is very conducive to SHAFT style.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

I found the syringes. thank you for your thoughts and prayers

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Dang, I was just thinking about how I hadn't seen 'gar' in usage for ages.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

if i start playing today can i get that toddler before the event ends?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

My F/GO Material books arrived, and flipping through it I'm honestly surprised how much of a difference coloring can make. Even Servants that I thought looked really boring like Erik actually look cool in their concept art, it's just the final coloring that makes them seem ultra bland.

I had similar thoughts on Atalanta, who is much nicer looking when I can tell what the hell I'm looking at.

scan it and I'll give them the colors they deserve

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

I hate it!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

You tell me.

3rei has pretty much proven that Silver Link just can't handle more than one big fight per season. I guess it's not criminally bad or anything, but it absolutely pales in comparison to the manga's still frames.

It's too bad. The framework is there for a lot of scenes like they wanted to do cool stuff with it, but didn't have enough labor for more than the minimum animation.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

I feel like this has been reuploaded for every role Kadowaki Mai has done

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/VNCompletionist/status/827185107186360322

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

So is Proto-Merlin a girl?

Merlin / Proto-Artoria = Sakurai Takahiro
Proto-Merlin/fsn Artoria = Kawasumi Ayako

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

that's a good douji douj

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

It's probably an impressive size, but not to the point of being immune to saber alter's sadist insults

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Sure it's pretty, but... Saber vs. Rider? That's not exactly a main-event fight

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/joujinakata123/status/873039076399521794

nakata jouji wishing ueda kana a happy birthday.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

isn't the entire point of the fight that Shirou, in his reality marble, has his swords ready instantly to counter the barrage of the gate of babylon and Gil is disadvantaged by summon times, which is exemplified in the end when Gil hesitates to grab Ea and Shirou is already on him before he can swing

the ubw film shows it as Shirou, among his endless world of swords, only using one and breaking all of Gil's superior weapons with it somehow and just completely overpowering him while Gil makes zero attempt to actually use his gate, fighting full melee like he's Saber class. when Golden Boy realizes he's an idiot and instantly pulls out Ea (no hesitation)—Shirou projects his twin swords in response, screams, and jumps at him and when they match swings Shirou comes out on top because ??

the ubw film is literally the opposite of the point of the vn fight

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, it was literally Shirou swinging identical copies of Gilgamesh's swords as Broken Phantasms.

he's matching weapon for weapon in the VN, yes. but in the film version gilgamesh dual wields generic swords, whereas Shirou projects Caliburn early on and uses it to wail on Gil for the rest of the fight and its boring because Gil just stands there trying to block without fighting back. in comparison, ufotable fight is very tense and shirou is constantly having to zip and dodge and parry with the swords in his hands while the swords he's launching are handling the brunt of the gate's flurry. it actually evokes their positions as the Strongest Servant and a complete underdog who has to claw his way through the fight

also, a broken phantasm is when you sacrifice the NP to detonate it like EMIYA does (key point: big explosion). the premise has nothing to do with just projecting a sword and wielding it. the reason projection is important is that anyone can use a broken phantasm, but essentially no one would destroy their NP except for EMIYA whose projections can be discarded and remade.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

there's a handful of fights in the film I think are done just fine but Gil's isn't one of them. and the big offender is Herc's fight which is truncated to the point of removing all emotional buildup from the scene. Herc takes swords, dies. Illya dies. bye. the tv anime blew this one away with a fight that really showcases what ufotable can bring to the series. the fight is embellished in interesting, fresh ways that should excite returning fans, while taking care to illustrate the tone of the battle and how Herc's bond with Illya shapes him even in madness, giving him character. It's especially important that the viewer develops sympathy for those two leading into Heaven's Feel, imo.

lastly, people call ufotable effects overdone, but the ubw film uses star wars blaster sounds when swords clang against each other.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/ufotable/status/889069969270480896

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Sylphid posted:

I think part of it is his financial success has allowed him to indulge a lot more, and discuss more non-traditional gender identity / sexual orientations that he has more interest in. He was talked into Shirou by Takeuchi saying a male protagonist would be more marketable, but now that he has hit the big time, he has a lot more room to talk about what he wants as a writer. I don't think it's a coincidence he's gradually become less attached to the standard male protagonist, between Grand Order and the EXTRA series.

maybe gender identity is what started it all... makes u think

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Endorph posted:

also she could have sucked on kohaku's neck is what i meant. she literally chomps on kohaku's boobs. there are places on a woman's body that have blood besides the boobs.

i think namtab understands that 'technically', "alternatives" to baps "'exist'"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Compendium posted:

Remember when Hisui was his waifu, how times have changed...

yeah, now it's mashu

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

cute medusa

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

i don't think urobuchi has to try very hard to just bee himself

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

i appreciate bringing it up as a talking point and giving me the ol' TIL, but i don't think there needs to be an air of criticism when it's not coming from anti-semitism but the result of two elements in fateverse intersecting in a way that could be seen as bad faith without context.

you know, the context that someone posting in a type moon megathread would have

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

The idea of being a mortal with divine blood comes up a lot in Greek mythology so perhaps that ties into it, but I would mostly guess Medea/Circe don't have an "Authority" to manifest as servants so while their lineage is listed in their biographies, it isn't worth ranking on a statsheet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

It gets kind of weird when you remember that Saber is about 25 and Shirou and Rin are about 17.

except saber in multiple ways never actually grows for a good ten of those years and her character arc is all about regaining her humanity and living a shared story of adolescence with the other main chars. throwing numbers around without context is purposeless

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

they were definitely designed to be sexy. whether that feeling reached you or not via cheesy eroge music + an amateur, younger takeuchi's art + nasuprose filtered through a fan translation, is another matter.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

Cephas posted:

I think one of the things that made the Fate route interesting, but that doesn't age well, is the mysterious feeling surrounding everything. You don't know who the masters are, and you don't know the true identities of the servants, who tend to work hard to keep their identities as a trump card. And then there are shake-ups like fake assassin and a second archer being around. Part of what made Archer's identity cool was that he used all of these different legendary weapons from disparate locations and time periods so it was like "who the heck could he be," and that feeling of being suspended in the unknown is pretty neat the first time you experience it.

That's one of the things that I think F/SN did better than the other stories like Zero and Apocrypha, is that the narration was surrounded by a thick fog of war.

oh yeah for sure. it's real good when the f/go singularities pick up on fog of war

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

that's the foreground. i'm platinum mad now

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

i cant wait for the sparks liner high ova

also illya singing die lorelei, i hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

no, i've heard her singing, that's why i was excited