Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

YggdrasilTM posted:

A manifestation of the counterforce. The red shadow kills anyone trying to reach the root.

Then does this mean the Heaven's Feel ritual was always doomed to fail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

So if Emiya gets summoned as a Saber, would he just bonk people with his bow?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Saw it in Windsor. Counted like 8 people playing FGO before movie started.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Canon in the same multiverse sense, but different timeline, IIRC. The main difference is that there are no vampires in the KnKverse. My pet theory is that this is due to Vlad winning the Third Holy Grail War and going House of M on them.

Makes sense. No vampires means Cornelius Alba was likely unemployed and thus had more time to harass Touko Aozaki therefore leading to the events in KnK.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Going by FGO terminology, a Demi-Servant is a designer baby who has had a heroic spirit summoned and implanted in them from day one.

Summoning and letting a Heroic Spirit indwell you after you've grown up for a while as a normal human is a Pseudo-Servant.

Emiya in UBW is a human, more or less.

Now at the end of Fate/Accel Zero Order, is Waver a Pseudo-servant of himself as a Pseudo-servant?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Ccs posted:

But I remember from my first watch through that things obviously don't turn out positively because the grail is corrupted. But so far there's nothing wrong with Kiritsugu's ideals. He wants world peace, he thinks the grail is a wish granter like a magic lamp and not a monkey's paw, so what he's doing is rational. It's kinda bullshit that the story pulls this bait and switch. "Sorry, the grail isn't what everybody told you it was because of something that happened in a previous War that nobody knew about! Sucks to be all of you guys! Have some evil mud instead!"

Even if the grail wasn't corrupted, it was still a plot point that it couldn't grant a wish that was something the holder himself couldn't conceive of.

Hypothetically, I think if Kiritsugu won a regular HGW, then I'd imagine the best he could do with access to the Root would be something like rewriting the laws of reality to cause a groundhog's day scenario anytime somebody did anything remotely bad. People would realize and start to abuse it. Maybe the worst offenders get an Origin Bullet out of nowhere. In the end, Foundation of Humanity declines, everything still burns.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Eh fair enough. Though Jack being a victim is still an offensively bad idea.

Eh... Fate/Apo Jack is more like a collection of aborted and murdered children whose resentment formed a mass of wraiths and killed a bunch of women looking for their moms, and those murders got attributed to Jack since they were in the same-ish time period. Sorta like Benkei in FGO.

Best Jack is a Berserker in the so far incomplete Strange Fake.

Since part of the legend is nobody knows who Jack is, it can take on the forms of anybody somebody somewhere theorized to be Jack. Sorta like the Nursery Rhyme of Murder. Also, it's still not the real Jack the Ripper.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Just wow. Kintoki and Yusei just mesh so well.

Still have no idea who the Masters of Saber and Caster are.

Also lol at Mahou Shonen Princecess Astolfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Now that I have a broad outline of events going forward from watching all the anime, I've decided to give the VN another shot. Previously, I only managed to finish fate, and stalled early on in UBW.

Thought I'd skip to where I left off, but just reading the prologue again is proving super enjoyable. Now that I understand all of the things Rin mentions in her monologues, it's super funny that pretty much every single one of the assumptions she makes are hilariously wrong in one way or another. Incredible.

Still might skip fate if it becomes a slog, but need a refresher because the order of events after defeating berserker have been messed up in my head by the deen anime. Like why would caster put Sakura in bondage fetish gear? Thought she was all into purity and fair maidens.