Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sylphid posted:

I seem to recall the biggest thing was Proper Nouns being changed in some cases from what everyone was used to, but that should only be annoying to the absolute extremes of internet culture.

CR has a bad habit of subbing in first / last names inconsistently with what's being said, even though doing what they loving literally say with their mouth words works almost 100% of the time. I mean it's one thing if you don't wanna make things weird and decide to place a name instead of "bro" or something but they just flip flop the names constantly and without consistency.

It's nothing worth having a snit over but if you actually listen to the dialog it is certainly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sunny Day was kinda disappointing. I mean sure it was relatively true to the VN but it felt a lot like "orrrr this could happen!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Myurton posted:

Are we forgetting that the nasuverse is a multiverse? Cause Sunny Day literally is a case of "orrrr this could happen!"

Which reminds about one of the reasons why I want to see Heavens Feel animated, cause it'll be really neat when Zelretch pops in from an alternate universe and goes "Hey I see you actually successfully made a copy of my mystic code."

No, I know that, but that's *all* it was. I felt like they didn't make any extra effort to expand on it. I don't know what I was expecting, but even as the ending I preferred I was like "yup this sure is the other ending"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Why are they all naked

Wheres ur av from?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is the tsukehime manga actually decent? Cuz I couldn't really get into the VN despite a couple of solid tries.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Namtab posted:

I'm actually grateful that the above fact is true.

Me too. Since I will never play FGO.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm new to the Fate series. I finished Fate/Zero recently and am about halfway through Fate/Stay Night 2006 (Yeah I know, wrong order. Blame my friend.)

No spoilery details, can someone give me a yes/no answer on whether Saber/Artoria remembers the events from Fate/Zero? It seems like she doesn't.

She remembers.

It's kinda like asking if obi wan remembers the clone wars when you watch A New Hope; the specifics were made up after the fact.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It would kinda work as a long series that looped back on itself ala the VN but that's not the way they chose to adapt it and it does suffer for it, I think.

For instance, F/Z is pretty self contained, but UBW def is constrained by lacking the context of Fate and not really being a straight sequel to F/Z.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kitchen's Feel is gonna be cut to shreds, lol

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bakanogami posted:

My personal pet theory has always been that Shirou and Ryunosuke were related. We don't know anything about Shirou's family before he was adopted by Kiritsugu, but he does have some magical circuits, and isn't that in and of itself supposed to be rare? It would fit in with being from a fallen mage family like Ryunosuke is implied to be, having an old book on summoning in their storeroom and all.

Plus, they both have red hair, and that's how anime genes work.

Wasn't one of the big things in fate and a lesser extent UBW (in the VN) that he was constructing his magic circuits from scratch each time which was incredibly dangerous and idiotic and one of the many things Rin later berated him for?

Honest question, because I remember that being a big deal at one point and it didn't get brought up in the anime at all.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ahhh. I was under the impression that part of the reason he was such a monster when fueled with sufficient mana was because he had constructed literally thousands of magic circuits that he was able to activate simultaneously later when he got proper instruction.

I'm a bit disappointed now, actually.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Having cleared HA end to end when it first came out translated a couple years ago, I didn't even realize it hadn't been voiced until the new patch came out all like "finally, VOICE!".

I'm a very fast reader so most characters only get a noise out rather than whole lines in most VNs I check through. Tends to give an impression of tone at least.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The only part of FSN where I legit stopped reading for a while from disinterest was during the fights with kizuki in UBW because in the VN they are so laboriously described and it isn't immediately apparent why everyone is getting chumped by a fuckin history teacher.

Fate was fine, though again I thought the fight sequences were kinda lackluster initially (My first and just previous VN was MLA so I feel like I was a bit spoiled in that regret.

I think UBWanime suffers heavily from being an adaptation of a first person perspective work that is specifically dealing with that character working through things, and having read that before hand. Independent of the VN, I think that shiro is probably more boring than the events occurring around him without getting to see his own thought processes and just his actions, but even still is a more complex character on screen than many many shounen protags.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the F/HA translation actually playable? Last I had heard it had been crowdsourced then pushed out the door the instant it ticked up to 100% translated with no editing pass. That was a million years ago though.

Very playable. It not like a machine translation job, there’s just the occasional typo and formatting issue iirc

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The split point is shortly after saber is summoned so not that much retreading. You can even skip the prologue on replays so even less.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GodFish posted:

You aren't really missing anything if you dont get all the Dojo's, but I'd say its definately worth your time to see some of them. The Dojo scenes are generally good and usually have some message about the themes of the route, and some of the deaths are funny and can lend insight into the characters and the differences that make up the successful route.

Technically, you are missing a small bonus scene if you don't get all of them.

But really, with fastread and skip scene you can plow through and get them all in one evening after you are done reading the main story. It's not a huge time investment.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Fate like most anime could benefit from an editor wielding a pair of hedge clippers and zero sense of mercy.

please see the studio deen version of UBW for how good of an idea this is.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 22, 2018

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I haven't actually watched UBW movie, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

I've said it previously but I don't think there is a way to win, really. I'm happy with how UFOTable has been handling it. UBW is not my favorite thing in the world but it's about as good as I can hope for from an adaptation. It sounds like what you are talking about is more like a reimagining, or interpretation. At a certain point the question comes up "if you aren't gonna do the original story justice why not just write a whole new story?"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

And it's kind of funny to say 'it's pointless to reinterpret and retell fiction' while discussing Fate/Stay Night.

I would never say that. I do think it's a valuable question though. Especially for adaptations, is the goal "remaining true to and conveying the same experience as the original" or "reinterpreting the work for some purpose (be it to match the contours of a different media, or examine some other aspect of the work, or what have you" or "attracting new fans" or "pleasing existing fans" etc.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Are people getting cash prizes for pointing out instances of sexist behavior and out stubborning every attempt to contextualize it? Otherwise I’m not sure why we have to have this circular rear end argument every time the Fate route comes up. Yes, Shirou says sexist things. Yes, it’s part of his character development, and an attitude that the story demonstrates shows both to be a silly thing to believe and ridiculous in context (the girl(s) in question being powerful combatants). Yes, it reflects in some way the authors own thoughts and working through of the subject matter. No, it’s not indicative of a horrible character flaw in the author that the whole work needs to be censured for. There are plenty of other weird rear end things in fsa worthier of that attention, as dreary as going over it again is.

Are we seriously supposed to re-evaluate every work of fiction by hyper-reactionary rubrics? And disavow them because they don’t fit perfectly in the modern framework a small cadre has decided is the gold standard?

How much of this is authentic, and how much of it is bad faith? You can not like a thing and not continually try to relitigate it’s worthiness in a space put aside for people who, broadly, enjoy it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Aurora posted:

pretry sure nasu thinks saber is badass actually

She is, and he thinks so (and Shirou does too, after getting over his bullshit). But I don't wanna pretend that at some level, especially as a young man, that he was examining what that means in relationship to normal people, and later and broader what it means for her to have chosen to be a perfect badass and literally denying her womanhood.

Fate is a slightly trashy but in many ways well nuanced story.

Thinking more concretely about it, it's been a long time since I actually read the Fate route, and it's interesting the lack of representation in the metaseries compared to UWB and HF. I wonder if it just feels too anachronistic at this point. It's not exactly Prototype but it is way less developed than UBW or HF.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Aurora posted:

you're not making a lot of sense here

Hmm. What I mean is, yeah I think Nasu wrote Saber as awesome but also wanted to examine how Shirou has to deal with that through the lens of his issues.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

For how much things are moved around, I was surprised how much I loved it. I get hung up a lot of times on adaptation changes but I was super pleased with Part 1 and the way they handled things. It was also very quiet and slow in a lot of parts which I was surprised and pleased with. I was afraid things would be mashed together really brutally, though now I'm dying to see how the second and third parts are handled.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the movies are not going to take every bit from the VN. I love the cooking stuff but all intact it would make for a really poorly paced trilogy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first one is the floating suicide girls the second is the friendship between Shiki and SHIKI and boy before the car accident.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Saber is the 'Most Powerful" servant, but Shiro is a pretty piss poor master, in every sense. A huge part of the Fate route is that Saber can't fight well because of Shiro, be it interference in battle or, as happens, he literally can't power her properly.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That seems like it would be an incredibly interesting and fertile base for a new VN and so there is absolutely zero chance we'll see it unless it becomes a LN first. And then it'll have an infinitesimally small chance.

ffs what was the last VN type moon put out?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nrook posted:

The funniest thing about the duel between Shirou and the red guy is how profoundly unadaptable it is. You can't really blame Ufotable for that one, the whole drat thing is just interior monologues while two guys straightforwardly swing swords at each other. It's great in the VN, but some things just work better on the page than they do animated.

The Rin scene that happens simultaneously makes me agree with the thread title though

They could have done a better job of it. I think they just got overwhelmed. Without changing any of the content, not breaking it off goddamn straight in the middle between episodes completely killing the momentum would be a good start.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Always seemed more Starship Troopers to me

There’s an Eva in it. And the gunbuster march. They are big fans.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nrook posted:

Er, I’m pretty sure Hercules is a god?

Half god.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HA is very very fun and kinda makes it hard to go back to FSN for a while after playing it. It's very loose and fun.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Polgas posted:

Do we know if they're going to animate some of the endings like ubw sunny days and make sparks liner high or the other hf ending?

No news, but likely if they do it’ll be as a Blu-ray bonus.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hf3 was loving rad. Rider v saberalt was incredible. but I agree it’s missing some serious explanation of what the gently caress is going on at the end. If you aren’t a turbo nasuverse nerd it’s not especially apparent.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That doesn’t happen in fate, orrr at all so maybe someone at deen was huffing markers

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HA is wonderful. It’s a great and largely satisfying extension of the fsn story, and is just a lot of fun with the characters in a unique package.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

drat I didn’t realize it was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ha is the rider route