Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

I need loving chains. Both to finally finish ascending King Hassan, and also because I have several Servants that need them for skils (King Hassan again, also Nitocris and Gorgon).

I find that materials of the same "tier" as chains seem the most obnoxious, because they're just rare enough to be annoying and require significantly higher quantities than the gold/rarest materials. Ironically I have more than enough of pretty much every "high tier" ascension material, since you usually don't need more than 4-6 at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Har, the devs screwed up: when the boss battle Shiki turns into her saber self, she still takes extra damage from Alter Egos :v:

The same is true for the mission where you fight Tamamo Caster who turns into Tamamo Lancer, but I'm pretty sure it's intended.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The best hair is twintails that are also drill hair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wow, changing that Vlad!Zerker skill to 30% attack/defense for three turns is kinda a big deal. That seems like a big buff for 3 turns.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Vlad was one of the berserkers on the lower end of things, so having a buff that solid is going to help him a lot in being a solid fixture on a team or a decent 5* to pull for newbies, I guess. He's still only gonna find his way onto Arts Teams but this way he's not close to dead rear end last MHXA in utility.

Man, I don't know what they were thinking with MHXA. Even pre-interlude Vlad was still pretty good on Arts teams, but MHXA is just unusually bad, especially considering she's a more recently designed servant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sylphid posted:

I don't even get it. The odds of pulling 5* CEs isn't that much better than 5* Servants, but with me, I have EX rank luck in pulling those stupid things, and E------------ luck in 5* Servants. The only difference is CEs are BORING. I also like how the first Medusa I pulled got her to NP level 5. Got another one, just to rub it in a little more.

The rate for 5* CEs is quite a bit higher than 5* servants. 5x higher I believe, so in theory you would get five 5* CEs for every one 5* servant (and you have to take into account that any event 5* CEs in your inventory wouldn't count towards that ratio).

I just checked in my game, and my ratio of 5* CEs to 5* servants comes out to roughly 4:1 though I may have under-counted CEs.

edit: Oh wait, I forgot about the two 5* servants from the paid New Years gacha. After adjusting for that, the ratio is more like 4.5:1, so yeah it looks like it does average out to 5:1.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 25, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sylphid posted:

Hm, going by the wiki, the summoning rate is 1% for 5* Servants, 4% for 5* CEs. I guess in terms of strict mathematics, that follows, but 3% doesn't seem like a huge difference. Odd the way things work out.

Oh, that actually works out even better with the numbers I ended up getting after comparing my 5* servants and CEs.

I think you're thinking of it wrong. It's not a difference of 3% so much as there's a 4x higher chance of getting a 5* CE than a 5* servant (and I think psychologically we tend to skew the number of 5* CEs upward due to the event CEs).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 25, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To get a better idea of the chance of getting a 5*, you would have to do seven 10-rolls* in order to have a 50% cumulative probability of getting a 5*.

Even after doing fifteen 10-rolls, you're still only sitting at about a 78% cumulative probability of getting a 5* servant (in other words it isn't that unheard of to go that many 10-rolls without getting one).

*I'm ignoring the relatively negligible effect of the "at least 1 4* or greater" condition, since you're almost certain to get a 4* even if you do 10 single-rolls

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

InfinityComplex posted:

Apparently stats inbetween 1000-2000 require 4* fou cards. 3* fou cards cannot be used for boosting once you're at 1000 and any cards that are used to boost past that are disregarded and any extra points gained are lost.

Are 4* Fou cards new? Don't think I've ever gotten one. I wonder if they will ever release 5* EXP cards for that matter.

I actually have a whole bunch of 3* cards, about enough to max out 2 servants.

edit: One nice thing is that increased bonus stats make lower rarity servants even more viable, since they proportionally gain more from them.

edit2: I'm kinda happy the rate-up is on a servant I'm not that interested in. I already have Ibaraki Douji (at 2NP even) and he's the only one I'm interested in since he's apparently one of the best 4* Berserkers.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 30, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

InfinityComplex posted:

I got my own Ibaraki to NP3.

I also got my Ibaraki to NP3. I boosted her stats to 1000 and will grail her to 90 just because.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is going to be really tough to finish in just a week. So far I have about 30,000,000 total damage, which isn't nearly on track to getting 200M or whatever by the end. It's also a pain in the rear end how the highest daily quests almost always take a really long time (I can beat Ibaraki up to the 3BP, but I have to wait her out for the 3BP which takes a long time).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

InfinityComplex posted:

I'm just spamming the 2BP/3m HP boss and I'm at 50m damage. Are you not using the onigiri that it gives you for recovering BP? You only require 200m DP for the require list.

Yeah, I haven't used the onigiri because I'm lazy. I think that having each quest last ~15 turns makes it feel worse than doing a greater number of shorter missions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Jesus, I had forgotten how OP Mordred was at this thing; esp now with Merlin & Waver. NP away the hands and 1/3 of Ibaraki's hp and then Buster crit down the rest. I'm going to go at this with one less gourd CE because I think I'll prefer to do them fast and certain instead of the 33% chance of screwing up when I was running Scathach. Sometimes she dies and then I'm like whelp; gonna to have to tank out the remaining turns.

Now I can kill her (at 3 mil hp) before she can even NP.

Why is Mordred any more OP for it than a bunch of other servants? Are you talking about the 4* Mordred maybe? I can't see how the 5* would pull off ~1M in damage with her NP, given that's about how much I'm doing with buffed single target NPs and a bunch of CE buffing (+450% to be exact).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Gilgamesh works extremely well. With the standard set of Merlin and Waver buffs, and 3 carps total including support, he can put about 1.4mil. If you have his 3rd skill at level 10 and manage to charge 20% the following turn, he can fire off another buffed EE on the 3rd turn (Collector + Waver's 1 + Waver's 2 + two turns of NP gen from Merlin NP = 80%). That plus a bit more is 3mil.
Plus he's great at crits and pretty good at making stars too.

It's my main Ibaraki bullying team (and works even better now that there's Lancer hands 'cause he's not one shotting them).
Jack and Kuro are in my back row to finish the job if someone dies, Mashu at the very back for cost and last-resort stalling.

I almost never fail the 6mil.

Hm, I'm getting about 900+k damage with Gilgamesh + Gilgamesh attack buff + Merlin attack/Buster buffs + Buster Chain (and I want to say I maybe used double the Merlin buffs one time and still didn't break 1M). Maybe the difference is that I'm using 3 Carps but only 2 are LB (and the Ushi CE he has isn't LB).

edit: Generally speaking, what is the best way to farm the items? I've been lazy this event and probably won't be able to finish it, but most of the stuff I really want is in the item shop and I already have all the CEs but one Ushi (3 Carps have randomly dropped for me). I feel like it's kind of tricky to figure out what trade-off between damage and item-boosting CEs makes the most sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

*Hits head on desk*.

Got Enkidu with a YOLO ticket. :sigh:

Enkidu is situationally decent. He's pretty good as a star generator and can survive a long time due to his ridiculous heal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sylphid posted:

And honestly, I consider Rare Prisms basically useless. I don't get the point.

Rare prisms are good to unlock things from past events, most notably one or two master suit things (I used some to get the Saber clothes). I don't think there's much point to saving a large number of them, but it's good to use them if you started the game late and want to pick up some of the better past event stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On an impulse I did a 10-pull with the Ishtar gacha, and while I did not get any servants I did finally get that 5* CE that gives +10% Buster and +20% Crit. Been wanting that for a while, seems like one of the better CEs for Buster crit-focused servants.

I've actually managed to complete more of the event than I expected; you can really farm a bunch of those items from the 3AP daily quest (like 160+ each run) and I've gotten to the point where I can take out all 6M HP of the boss if I gear my party towards that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Gilgamesh is finally getting close to max bond. I got him back when he was first released (though I admittedly stopped playing for almost a year). He is the only one close; the second closest I think is between 7 and 8 bond.

It seems like max bond craft essences are generally superior to other 4* craft essences, including LB ones, but it's not really clear if they're superior to 5* ones. I think there are ones that give like +15 (or is it 20?)% of a card type to the other two party members, so I guess in theory if everyone in the party had a bond CE boosting the same card it would be at least as good as all three of them using the corresponding 5* CE, which just does 25/30% (since everyone would have +30%).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sylphid posted:

I Married Medusa

I'm giving your post on my computer screen a look of cold disdain right now.

Best girl servant is Quetzalcoatl.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I did two 10-rolls hoping to get one of the 4* or 5* CEs for the event, but instead I got Raikou!

edit: I had just recently spent most of my Berserker skill gems on my Lancelot and Ibaraki Douji because I had assumed I wouldn't be getting a 5* Berserker any time soon!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 14, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only legitimate excuse I can think of for all the gender-swaps is the fact that most well-known historical/mythical figures are men (especially ones somehow related to combat). Though even then I want to say most current FGO servants are women.

I want to see some female->male gender swaps at some point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Haven't played CCC yet, but from all I've read about it I feel like I'd like Melt and Lip's characters if I never actually saw them. Their visual designs are dumb.

Kiara I think is an interesting and effective villain, though, and her visual design is a lot less dumb. Wish I'd gotten her in FGO.

Melt and Kiara are both pretty cool, but Passionlip is...not so much. I mean, she works well as a character who both looks and acts extremely creepy, but there isn't a whole lot of depth to her character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't basically the entire point of FZ is that Kiritsugu is wrong? The idea that Kiritsugu's actions are "cool" seems like is people getting the wrong vibe from the show.

Yeah, the show illustrates the main flaw of "I'll make big sacrifices in order to save/help even more people" thinking: in real life it's impossible to completely predict the results of your actions, so if your idea doesn't work you've just managed to hurt/kill a bunch of people for no reason. (Though I guess you could argue that his actions were still reasonable, given that succeeding would have literally created world peace or whatever.)

One thing I think would have been a really good way to show the flaws in his approach even better is if his plans ended up failing not due to just a false assumption (which is basically what happened), but due to his actions causing his relationships and trust with his allies to deteriorate. While you could argue this happens with Saber, from what I recall it never actually causes any bad results by itself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arturia's mistake was one of poor communication. Lancelot hooks up with Guinevere and Arturia just says nothing so he doesn't know how to react. Is she okay with it, or is she secretly judging him? If she had just said "hey, I'm okay with this since I'm a straight chick and can't have a functioning romance with Guinevere" he might not have been driven so crazy.

So it's not so much that punishment was required, but that Arturia never made it clear what her feelings were and where she stood.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, "Wind" and "Air" are separate element things in the Type-Moon universe's magic system?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

poe meater posted:

Is unlimited blade works considered to be better than Fate zero? I found unlimited blade works to be kinda uneven and all over the place in tone. Maybe it was too short?

I thought Saber would be more angry considering the events in the past but she barely seemed to acknowledge shirou and his dad. Whats up with that? And why do they keep killing kids jeez.

As a show I consider UBW inferior to Fate:Zero, but (if you're referring to my earlier posts by any chance) the former had cooler fight scenes.

edit: Oh wait, I was confusing my post in the Apocrypha thread with this thread

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 17, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Early on, yeah (Saber versus Berserker was hella solid), but they really struggled keeping Gate of Babylon and Unlimited Blade Works interesting.

Yeah; most of the more melee-oriented servant fights were really cool (like Archer vs Lancer and the aforementioned Saber vs Berserker), but the EMIYA vs Shirou fight was kinda disappointing mainly because they tried to stretch it over 2 episodes (and you also can't really make the fight look as cool when one of the people isn't a superhuman servant). I thought Gilgamesh vs Shirou/Berserker were both about as good as they could be, given the kind of straight-forward nature of GoB, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I fel like they could have done a bit more work with camera angles and emphasised the physical contest between Shirou and Gil a little more. We know how UBW works at this point, we don't need another gazillion scenes of CG swords raining out of the sky. Just keep it in the background, show UBW blades deflecting GOB weapons aimed at Shirou's back, that sort of thing. Keep it a sideshow, because the whole point is that an ordinary schlub is neutralising the King of Heroes's primary weapon and forcing him to fight like a (relative) normie. Hell, you could even make the fight a little more undignified than a simple sword-fight, just to rub it in - kicks, sand in the eyes, all that jazz. Really emphasise how Shirou is holding his own through desperation and a gleeful willingness to fight dishonourably.

Shirou bottles up some piss prior to the battle and suddenly throw it into Gil's face in the middle of the fight.

Gil destroys reality using Ea.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

anyway i guess my point is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3396VxaEY&t=78s

this tiny bit with saber and herc testing each other in the deen 2010 op is way cooler than anything ufotable's ever done

But the Saber vs Herc fight in the UBW anime was great. It was a totally kickass fight that gave a good sense for how ridiculous these characters are. Most other adaptations have just made them seem like skilled regular humans with magical weapons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I dunno who this Deen guy is, but he sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

gil would never gently caress anyone in f/z besides kirei and saber

maybe he'd gently caress kiritisugu

I could see Gil being the uke with Shirou being the seme. It has that sort of "reversal of roles" appeal to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just recently got this ludicrous OLED television and went to Netflix on it to find something to watch. I found some weird Fate/Extra anime. I liked the Fate/Extra games (CCC in particular was pretty weird but in a cool way) and was curious about what the show would be about. It's pretty weird, but in a way that is at least holding my interest. I'm guessing that I'm supposed to have no idea what is going on (judging from the fact that the protagonist just found out 1000 years had passed). At the beginning was that female Hakuno (the best Hakuno)? I also noticed they're throwing in all these cameos of F/GO servants, and included Drake's line from when she uses her NP in the game.

Nero is lame though, would have owned if it had Gilgamesh as the servant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that bugs me about Nero is that she kinda seems like a Type Moon character taken to the extreme in some ways. I've noticed that Nasu (I'm guessing he's responsible for this) has this tendency to sort of associate characters with concepts and just harp endlessly on it, and Nero's particular concepts (ROME...and performing/being hammy, or something) might make an entertaining gimmick for a side character but do not work as a main character.

Conspiratiorist posted:

There are several elements at play here, but the important take from the first two episodes is that things aren't as they should, even from the perspective of our protagonist.

And if you played through Extra, then the scene at the beginning with Nero and FemHakuno losing against Saver should be a huge hint about what's going on.

To be honest it's been a while since I played Extra, to the point where I only really remember much from CCC. I remember the basics of the characters and their personalities, but not the plot (I just remember something along the lines of glasses dude being an NPC generated from something or other).

I should probably just read the wiki to remind myself of things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Nero and Gilgamesh are pretty much the same though.

Nero has the whole "obnoxious love interest" thing going on, though, which Gil does not. Also Nero's "umu" thing is lame.

Also, completely subjectively speaking I prefer the whole "mean/haughty but warms up to someone somewhat over time" thing with male characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

what even is Extra? Did Nasu have the flu and watch all the Matrix movies back to back one day? Why's the entire thing couched in the context of a high school? Why is Vlad's master a cannibal fast food restaurant mascot? Why, other than the obvious reason, are so many of the characters returning from FSN, and why isn't there a consistent logic among them? (Rin is kind of the same, Shinji is and yet isn't, and Sakura is basically herself except she's sort of a fabrication?)

My opinion is that Extra actually owns that it's wild that they decided to just come up with this wacky new sci-fi setting when deciding to make a Fate-themed RPG game (since they could have just kept a more "traditional" holy grail war based off the VN and still easily sold a bunch).

CCC is obviously much better than Extra, but even Extra is kinda neat. I like the new characters in both series as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just got around to watching the first two Heaven's Feel movies. They're very good, though I've never liked Sakura as a love interest for Shirou. Sakura is good as a character and her actions and motivations make perfect sense given her circumstances, but I've just never been remotely sold on her and Shirou having any sort of chemistry (as opposed to Tousaka, where I really like their dynamic). A big part of it is that I generally find "traumatized person who the protagonist wants to protect/save" a very un-compelling sort of romance, and Sakura is an almost comically tragic character.

Conceptually I think the idea behind Shirou's HF arc is good and arguably better than the core concept of UBW (his desire to be a hero of justice was basically a misguided thing he adopted from his attachment to Kiritsugu, so it makes sense for character growth to involve him choosing to prioritize the things he values himself), but I'm not a huge fan of the execution, largely because I was never fully sold on Sakura being the thing that motivates him to change. In UBW the theme is that his ideals weren't wrong, but they're not something that need to be shouldered alone, and so the connection he builds with Tohsaka over the story is vital to that.

As a side note, these movies were great to try out with the new fancy audio system I've set up. Whole room was shaking during the fights scenes with Berserker.

edit: Btw is it ever explained why Cursed Arm is an rear end in a top hat in F/SN but a cool guy in FGO?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I kinda wish that F/SN had made Shinji be a little less evil. Like, there was room there for him to be a person who does bad things for understandable reasons and maybe has room for character growth, but then he does a bunch of comically evil poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I don't really have any problem with Shinji just being an evil rear end in a top hat (His motivation/backstory seems reasonably well established to me anyways in the VN), though it does beg the question why Shirou was ever friends with this guy to begin with.

It's more that it would have been more interesting if he were written as more of an ambiguous character. Shinji has legitimate reasons to feel inadequate and angry, or to be envious of Sakura, and that could lead him to do bad things without taking it to a ridiculous mustache-twirling level. And I don't mean that he should be redeemed or anything, but he comes off as kind of comically/unrealistically malicious.

Also, while not solely a Shinji thing, the whole Sakura situation has some pretty big issues in terms of "sexual violence as a plot device."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember playing this Back In The Day and using some blog to translate it.