Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In the end I do not think I cared for Your Lie in April all that much. Individual components were often superlative...the artwork is very appealing, characters are at least not disagreeable and often straight up likeable, and the story hits a lot of familiar and emotionally resonating beats...but the sum of its parts left me feeling that it never rises above the material in the way say Chihayafuru (I really don't know why that of all series kept getting compared to this) did above other sports/romance titles. If anything this felt by the numbers and maybe even a little generic; if it weren't for the artwork at least I don't think anyone would have really given it the time of day. Part of what hurts it I think is that several supposedly important characters are practically cardboard cut-outs with no actual arcs of their own, specifically Watari and Kaori. Other than being "that guy Kaori likes and thus leads Kousei to meeting her" Watari had essentially nothing to contribute to the narrative; if he never showed up after that first chapter/episode I'm not sure it would have changed a thing. Kaori is arguably worse though in that she's supposed to be a main character, but is instead relegated to the background as a plot device to motivate Kousei. Finally, it's in the past now but I don't think I ever got over how they handled both Kousei's mother and Kousei's trauma in general. No matter what the author's intentions were, and no matter what excuses the various characters made for why she did what she did and why they in the present "helped" Kousei the way they did, it still came off as subtle victim blaming and I never really bought the story's use of it as a means to develop Kousei.

I do think what they had going on with Tsubaki was good start to finish, however. Her sections of the story propped the whole thing up in a lot of ways, perhaps even more so than anything related to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

In the end I do not think I cared for Your Lie in April all that much. Individual components were often superlative...the artwork is very appealing, characters are at least not disagreeable and often straight up likeable, and the story hits a lot of familiar and emotionally resonating beats...but the sum of its parts left me feeling that it never rises above the material in the way say Chihayafuru (I really don't know why that of all series kept getting compared to this) did above other sports/romance titles. If anything this felt by the numbers and maybe even a little generic; if it weren't for the artwork at least I don't think anyone would have really given it the time of day. Part of what hurts it I think is that several supposedly important characters are practically cardboard cut-outs with no actual arcs of their own, specifically Watari and Kaori. Other than being "that guy Kaori likes and thus leads Kousei to meeting her" Watari had essentially nothing to contribute to the narrative; if he never showed up after that first chapter/episode I'm not sure it would have changed a thing. Kaori is arguably worse though in that she's supposed to be a main character, but is instead relegated to the background as a plot device to motivate Kousei. Finally, it's in the past now but I don't think I ever got over how they handled both Kousei's mother and Kousei's trauma in general. No matter what the author's intentions were, and no matter what excuses the various characters made for why she did what she did and why they in the present "helped" Kousei the way they did, it still came off as subtle victim blaming and I never really bought the story's use of it as a means to develop Kousei.

I do think what they had going on with Tsubaki was good start to finish, however. Her sections of the story propped the whole thing up in a lot of ways, perhaps even more so than anything related to music.

Chihayafuru is the best sports/romance story, and it will be hard for anything to beat that. have you read the whole story? i think if you have you should re-read it because it addresses a lot of your problems.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also like Kaori was never the main character im not sure why you thought that.

----------------

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It reminds me of Nagi no Asukara. Good start, solid in general, but in the end a bit underwhelming.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not the main character, obviously that was Kousei and maybe Tsubaki a little bit, but she was ostensibly introduced as someone with a similar degree of importance and gravitas on their level rather than being a literal tearjerker "anime disease" plot device. The final chapter mitigates this a little bit, I suppose. Her role really though was to follow up on that asinine "Arima Kousei needs more tragedy in his life to grow" line and nothing more; why not give her soemthing else to do in the story besides sit in a hospital room the whole time?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I can understand his complaints actually. A lot of the substance of the show was aesthetic, but that aesthetic wasn't given much cohesive direction. The story was more poetry and the occasional plot mechanism than things actually happening in a thematically meaningful way. While that makes for an engrossing watch, the end product feels a little empty because of it. I don't think the story was bad, overall, but there could have been more meat to it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Had to abandon this thread in mid-run, but I managed to watch the final episode unspoiled. :unsmith:

Beautiful show. Excited to see what the director does next. Er.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Well that was fun. Most cathartic death I've seen in a long while.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Those final two episodes... so beautiful.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, that was a stunning and brilliant final episode to wrap it up. The entire performance might be one of my newest favorite anime scenes ever.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Goodbye. :unsmith:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

That was a really, really good final episode. Elevates the entire series (for me anyway), and it felt like it wasn't holding back at all - just an explosion of emotion, colour, and sound.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had mixed feelings for the manga ending, but man... wow, this was good. I felt like the anime ending was much better (it does make it easier when there's music and voice acting..) The scenes were directed and tweaked in just the right ways and felt more cohesive overall. I particularly liked how they made the conversation between Kaori and Kousei more personal. It hit me hard when she started apologizing to him. It was a bittersweet ride. :unsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Excellent.

- Watari haters can go suck it, jocks need love too
- edit: Kashiwagi status: still the broest of bros
- Geeky glasses Kaori was super :smith:
- They changed Kaori's outfit for in-episode continuity. Episode 08:

- Episode 22:

In summary, everything is wonderful :unsmith:

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

krnhotwings posted:

It hit me hard when she started apologizing to him.

Exactly that moment got me too.

Anyway,I think criticism of Kaori being a bit of a non-character is missing the entire point of her existence. To Kousei she is supposed to be unobtainable and there has to keep his distance. Its the lie that she's been telling the entire time. When Kousei is reading her letter at the end, she becomes fleshed out and her character motivations are fully revealed. Its only after its too late that she lets Kousei know who she really is and I reckon that the way we as an audience are encouraged to feel about her as a character is supposed to be a direct parallel to how Kousei considers her. That's how I read it at least, I could be totally off base.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I super seriously want to know if anyone can condense that to avatar size for me.

I had a feeling the whole time that the liking Watari was a sham, so it's always nice to be right about something. However, I was too busy crying over the ordeal. Both when they were playing together during his performance and the "I love you" in the note completely destroyed me. Now if you'll excuse me, I think there's still a dry spot left on my pillow.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I think the anime version didn't have quite the same impact for me on this as I wanted because I had already read the final chapter in manga multiple times so I probably desensitized myself a bit to the story on that account.

Getting to see Kaori spelled out in a way that she wasn't in the rest of the series was great. I had a suspicion early on that there was more to her. I don't really know what exactly it was that flagged her like that for me, but I kept thinking, "There is something calculating about her. There is more going on here than there appears to be," but I couldn't really get a better idea than that. I want to say it was early on when she started acting certain ways, so now I kind of want to go back and look at them critically to see if I can pinpoint where the suspicion crystallized. It was nice to see that that instinct paid off when I saw the end, though.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would guess it's probably because of all the times that Kousei "ran into" Kaori while she was supposedly waiting for Watari, which always ended up in her hanging out with Kousei instead of Watari.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Last episode = why am I this dehydrated? Oh endless tears.

The last episode was so amazing that it finished off an amazing anime. God drat.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I dared to hope that maybe just maybe when it flashed to her vitals in the hospital she would be okay... and then at the end of his performance Arima said goodbye and I came crashing back down to earth :[

Such a great show this was.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Razzled posted:

I dared to hope that maybe just maybe when it flashed to her vitals in the hospital she would be okay... and then at the end of his performance Arima said goodbye and I came crashing back down to earth :[

Such a great show this was.

Did you notice that her pulse dropped between the two times they show it? Could have been due to going under, but there was already blood in the first cut sooooo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Welp that's an excellent final episode that single handedly redeemed everything I had disliked about Kaori and the show over the previous 21.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the lie she told worked

----------------

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The first cour had a better OP, but the second cour was more enjoyable because it was after Kaori had forced Arima to grow into a likeable person.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

no OP was going to beat Goosehouse's

----------------

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, gently caress

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That was a really great way to wrap it all up. I love you got me right in the feel box.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

no OP was going to beat Goosehouse's

Yeah, Hikaru Nara is one of the best OPs I've ever heard.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Welp that's an excellent final episode that single handedly redeemed everything I had disliked about Kaori and the show over the previous 21.

What didn't you like about Kaori? If you really needed to watch her take off her glasses and let her hair down in order to recognize that she rules you might be missing the point.

It was pretty clear from the first scene with her that she was manipulating people and completely controlling the mood, but doing so in way that was smart and kind and made wonderful things happen. It's super great that when Kousei starts doing the same thing she calls him an rear end in a top hat. because it's true. This is a show about being the good kind of rear end in a top hat.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
An amazing ending, I feel bad for Tsubaki though, I guess she'll always be second fiddle compared to her. :smuggo:

Yeah.avi

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shut up, Tsubaki is great and has many wonderful qualities:

• Makes cute noises
  • Powerful kicks
  • Not dead

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Welp, this show was amazing in every conceivable way and I'll be over here picking up my shattered emotions.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

:smith:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, that was straight-up "This is probably going to change Watari. drat."

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I super seriously want to know if anyone can condense that to avatar size for me.

too many feels to fit into 100kb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Or you can make something that looks less garbage

• Locked thread