Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That episode was too artistic for it's own good. Either people didn't notice or care, or people thought the style looked like trash. I'm not surprised to see the vocal minority asking others to re-evaluate what they just watched.

But it's not going to be me, because I can only think of snobby hipster phrases like "the animation had flavor; actual sustenance" to describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I thought this episode looked great. Parts of the previous episodes have been kind of bland, but there was a bit in this episode that I didn't think looked good. I really enjoyed the chibi portions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the show looks good, but so far the plot has been pretty ,average I guess?

Like, it's not badly executed, but it feels like I've seen it a thousand times before and know exactly how it's going to play out.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The animation wasn't perfect or anything, but I appreciate that they put in more effort to keep it from being just static characters with mouth movements during all the dialogue scenes. Sadly that's kind of rare for TV.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
See what I mean, Shaft-like.

But yea, I wouldn't call this episode too artsy, just indulgent. Mixing fluid animation with still frames in such an obvious way puts the viewer on edge, and while you can use that tension in cool ways it doesn't really work here. The sense I got from this episode is that the things that looked awesome were what the animator wanted to draw, not what fitted the story or mood. It doesn't help that there were audio sync issues all over the place.

Compare with Chihayafuru, which I think is a great example of smart direction completely compensating for low budget and barely there animation, as not a single frame is wasted. There are frames in this episode that probably should have been removed, because they made viewers think "huh that's a lot of movement" instead of what's going on with the characters and themes, or emotionally connecting with the mood.

However, despite this super negative post I'm 100% behind indulging animators, and while I know on some level a more balanced approach would be better I kind of love when anime pulls something like this.

Strong Mouse posted:

I really enjoyed the chibi portions.

A perfect Your Lie In April anime is one where Takashi Kojima does every chibi scene.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the flourish tsubaki does with her hand is epic

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Apparently this show is super divisive, and anime bloggers have been dropping it in disgust all over the place:

http://randomc.net/2014/11/07/shigatsu-wa-kimi-uso-05/
http://www.lostinanime.com/2014/11/shigatu-w-kimi-no-uso-05.html
http://angryanimebitches.com/2014/11/glossing-things-over-a-kimiuso-post/

I hope I can one day be empathic enough to pick up on how horrible anime is.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This is a great injustice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OH MY GOD THEY'RE RIGHT. gently caress this show.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Apparently this show is super divisive, and anime bloggers have been dropping it in disgust all over the place:

That is far too many words about anime.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

darkgray posted:

What do the Japanese anime bloggers say?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Coaaab posted:

What do the Japanese anime bloggers say?

I dunno. I took a peek at the 2ch thread, and they couldn't shut up about manga spoilers, so I fled.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

angryanimebitch posted:

I’m not a person who understands music;

Illuminating opinion, AAB.

http://randomc.net/2014/11/07/shigatsu-wa-kimi-uso-05/ posted:

It’s really upsetting to me and it makes me feel sick to my stomach, so much so that I suffered an anxiety attack last night over it.

If only I had the gift to be so wrong about anime that it made me physically ill.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best one is the blogger who dropped the anime for bullying Kousei too much, but mentions that the same things happening in the manga didn't bother them.

But yea, this is a show about friends emotionally manipulating someone they care about to do something that makes him uncomfortable because they think it'll pull him out of his depression. It may just be my experience, but a friend to me is someone who knows me well enough to also know exactly what buttons to push to make me angry, so this seems normal to me. It does go a little overboard, what with the blood and extra privacy invasion, but it seems weird to drop the show over that.

There is also the issue that a lot of Kousei's problems stem from his mother's abuse, and these kids are playing with extra delicate stuff here. And yea, if they knew their actions would come off as mean instead of just insensitive. However, there's no evidence that they know about that at all. All they see is a friend who's not letting themselves be happy, and honestly I'd end up doing the same thing in their position. Mostly.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

The Devil Tesla posted:

The best one is the blogger who dropped the anime for bullying Kousei too much, but mentions that the same things happening in the manga didn't bother them.

But yea, this is a show about friends emotionally manipulating someone they care about to do something that makes him uncomfortable because they think it'll pull him out of his depression. It may just be my experience, but a friend to me is someone who knows me well enough to also know exactly what buttons to push to make me angry, so this seems normal to me. It does go a little overboard, what with the blood and extra privacy invasion, but it seems weird to drop the show over that.

There is also the issue that a lot of Kousei's problems stem from his mother's abuse, and these kids are playing with extra delicate stuff here. And yea, if they knew their actions would come off as mean instead of just insensitive. However, there's no evidence that they know about that at all. All they see is a friend who's not letting themselves be happy, and honestly I'd end up doing the same thing in their position. Mostly.

I think the main complaint is that his friends don't know that, but the writer and the show do, and that the writer and the show seem to be presenting it as an unequivocal good thing. It's the framing and the music choices and the general flow of events. It probably is good for him to face his problems, in the long run, but working through trauma and depression is more complicated than "buck up and try harder"... Especially if the show never addresses the fact that Kousei wasn't just pushed by an obsessive parent, he was physically and emotionally abused. At this rate, it might not! And that'd take the show from "kind of tone-deaf" to "seriously problematic."

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Kousei needs to stop being a pussy and man up, his friends are doing God's work in trying to make him not a goon. :getin:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

Especially if the show never addresses the fact that Kousei wasn't just pushed by an obsessive parent, he was physically and emotionally abused.

I don't see how this is the case, it's 100% clear that this is what happened.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can enjoy a show for its artistry and themes in spite of your realisation of how emotionally manipulative it can be.

More fire for the blogroll: http://moesucks.com/2014/11/07/shigatsu-wa-kimi-no-uso-ep-5-self-identity-is-for-chumps/#more-25214

Look if you really feel this is a problem in anime blogging perhaps we should start some kind of internet movement demanding ethics anime blog reviewing. Perhaps, we should call it #animgate?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not really feeling the show so far but lol at how over the top some of these people's reactions are

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Look if you really feel this is a problem in anime blogging perhaps we should start some kind of internet movement demanding ethics anime blog reviewing. Perhaps, we should call it #animgate?

There are already enough dudes with anime girls as avatars sending creepy messages on twitter.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So none of these people have ever watched a romantic comedy in their lives, right? Because this series isn't doing anything unusual in regards to unrealistic behaviors and expectations of human emotion.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't see how this is the case, it's 100% clear that this is what happened.

I really don't know how to communicate this, but the show is presenting something that's clearly abuse but it's not treating it like abuse. For example, Tsubaki has never brought up mysterious injuries or the way he was afraid to do things because his mother wouldn't want him to. It just doesn't seem to matter to the writer.

It's a lot harder to point out things a show is not doing than the things it is, but it's not handling the abuse like abuse. That's why it bothers people, because his friends aren't following a "help the abuse victim" script, they're following a "help the unmotivated slacker" script, and so far, the show is treating that like the proper course of action.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I gotta wonder how much of the "help the unmotivated slacker" angle being so jarring for some people is due simply to cultural differences. It's a big stereotype that Japanese parents (and thus their children) are very strict about this sort of thing, to the point where a lot of the things we as a western audience think of as abuse might not even register as such to the native audience. Then again this may not even be a true stereotype and I may be overthinking it. I'd be lying if I said his mother's treatment of him as a child didn't bother me more than a little and I really think the story would be better off to have either have kept that particular information for a later reveal or addressed it sooner.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Like hell the fedora-tipping bloggers are going to listen to that, I even doubt that the extent of GamerGate is getting through to people.
Just have it localised around these forums and call it #goongate so we can continue to sit back and laugh at their sperging atop our perch of objectively less-poo poo taste in Asian cartoons.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Amstrad posted:

I gotta wonder how much of the "help the unmotivated slacker" angle being so jarring for some people is due simply to cultural differences. It's a big stereotype that Japanese parents (and thus their children) are very strict about this sort of thing, to the point where a lot of the things we as a western audience think of as abuse might not even register as such to the native audience. Then again this may not even be a true stereotype and I may be overthinking it. I'd be lying if I said his mother's treatment of him as a child didn't bother me more than a little and I really think the story would be better off to have either have kept that particular information for a later reveal or addressed it sooner.

I'm just laughing at all this talk of "triggers" and "abuse".

This poo poo is just part of an Asian upbringing! Empirically speaking!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

HiveCommander posted:

Like hell the fedora-tipping bloggers are going to listen to that, I even doubt that the extent of GamerGate is getting through to people.
Just have it localised around these forums and call it #goongate so we can continue to sit back and laugh at their sperging atop our perch of objectively less-poo poo taste in Asian cartoons.

hahahahahahaha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HiveCommander posted:

Actually it's about ethics in anime

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean if angryanimebitches thinks the show is bad then I guess it is bad. :shrug:

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Razzled posted:

I'm just laughing at all this talk of "triggers" and "abuse".

This poo poo is just part of an Asian upbringing! Empirically speaking!

I was considering mentioning that too, since I wanted to say I disagreed with all the blogs, but had a hard time articulating why, as well as having some foreknowledge based off how the manga's playing out. Kousei is a bundle of issues that isn't quite fully summed up as abuse though. There are expectations that his mother wanted of him, expectations that he expects out of himself, things that he actually likes and wants, external pressure from society, and these all tend to overlap and conflict that he loses sight of what he desires because it is too emotionally draining, especially with the lack of closure with his mother. I might be projecting a bit of my own experiences onto the character though. Suffice to say, an Asian mom will be your number one loving supporter, but she can also be your number one obstacle in life, and a weird mental and emotional disconnect comes from both sides should you ever fail and hit rock-bottom and you become a huge loving depressing mess. Sometimes getting put on the spot is the best solution because it forces dealing with all that emotional baggage that has been ignored and closed away.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not going to deny that there's cultural differences, but I don't think that they're so different that what we see as Kousei's mom abusing him doesn't read the same way in Japan.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This is dumb but I like this show so I'm going to write some :words: about it

I think Kousei's main problem in general is not "his mom was mean to him a lot". It's pretty clear that he loved his mother very much, and sympathized greatly with the destruction of her dream due to physical ailment. No relationship is perfect and I don't think that just because it didn't explicitly show "hey look there were good times too" that they didn't exist. The cuts from the last episode show him having a good time with her when she was still healthy and he was very young. That it deteriorated with her health to the harshness of the later lessons probably also explains why he blames himself for failing to achieve her goal before her death.

I think what his current day problems stem from is the loss of feedback/communication resulting from his mother's death. He took on her dream as his own in order to help her live vicariously through his own achievements. In the end however he is left with no direction because all along he was living for someone else's dream rather than his own. So then we come to the current part of the story and I think that even though they haven't been doing a perfect job (or maybe even a good one), his friends have at least gotten him started along the path to self-actualization rather than simply being a shell for someone else's aspirations.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

5 episodes in and im loving pissed all the characters havent gone through their complete arcs and are fully developed and fleshed out making the story pretty much finished. how can i contribute to the angry anime bitches blog?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Looks like all dem angry anime bitches shoulda watched one more episode

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Razzled posted:

Looks like all dem angry anime bitches shoulda watched one more episode

Yeah, I thought this was pretty hilarious. It still doesn't really excuse Tsubaki allowing it to go on, but Kaori was pretty clearly freaked out at the idea that what they'd been doing was painful / bringing up painful memories.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
ugh does Kaori have Anime disease? :-\

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

5 episodes in and im loving pissed all the characters havent gone through their complete arcs and are fully developed and fleshed out making the story pretty much finished. how can i contribute to the angry anime bitches blog?

Can I just copy paste this into both Gundam show threads for this season?

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Rivals! Best part of an already really good episode. If this show turns into Piano Chihayafuru I am going to lose my poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

linall posted:

If this show turns into Piano Chihayafuru I am going to lose my poo poo.

That's the first thing I thought of when they turned up at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

linall posted:

Rivals! Best part of an already really good episode. If this show turns into Piano Chihayafuru I am going to lose my poo poo.

It's been piano Chihayafuru from the start.

• Locked thread