Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
"Standard video game asylum" really says everything, doesn't it.

I didn't even catch what was going on with the glass on the first pass since the shadow lines are so visually noisy, and only rewound to look closer when zio pointed it out. The audio cue didn't clue me in either since I thought it was just "oh hey asylum noise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The parts that go on for too long and the "this thing looks significant. Wait, it's not significant at all. Why am I looking at this?" bit in the morgue do capture some of the nonsense that goes on in dreams but they're also the things that really don't work too great when translated over into a game.
I imagine the brain needs to be in some manner of nonsense mode for those parts to be compatible and have the desired effect, because lucid gaming brain is probably feeling the tedium, and LP-watching brain is glancing at the video time remaining and going "wait, seriously?"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I actually liked that ending. Nothing bad happened that his subconscious is trying to cope with, it's just some kid's overactive imagination at work and everything's okay after all.

The patients are supposed to go off on sound and proximity, yes? But that range of "who the hell knows what's going to happen" when it comes to proximity makes me wonder if there's some esoteric conditional stuff going on like with BoI's secret room rules, or perhaps some unintentional black magic occuring in the programming.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm more curious why the developer fell back to the typical tropes of gore and violence blatantly for the sake of it. The kickstarter mentioned the developer has had some mental issues which inspired him to create the game, yet everything is absolutely shallow, which is exaggerated by how terrible all the endings are. You would have thought there would be at least a few more layers to the game but nope, there's zero pay off to anything you do and nothing you do makes sense/is worth it.
I have a suspicion that they were afraid of getting too personal and thus impenetrable, so instead tried to go for a safe bet, which wound up utterly generic.

To the thread, what sort of dream/nightmare content do you think would work to unsettle a wider audience? The teeth thing, for instance, is apparently common enough that it should get to a lot of people, especially anyone who hadn't heard of it before ("how did you know?!").

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The paintings were the worst wasted potential because instead of using them as creepy content, they were made as drawings of kickstarter backers, and at least half of them dress and pose as utterly goony fucks.
Did people actually dress up for that, or did he take their faces and embellish the rest in a rich-people-portraiture style? Could people choose? Because, I'm just saying, a Van Gogh farmer...

• Locked thread