Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1907 - Chicago Cubs pitcher Three Finger Brown shuts down the Tigers, 2-0, to win the World Series. The Cubs steal four bases for a total of 18 in the five-game series (the Cubs won four games, the other ending in a tie).
  • 1920 - Cleveland's Stan Coveleski won his third game in the World Series as the Indians beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 3-0 and won the championship, five games to two.
  • 1929 - The Philadelphia Athletics, trailing the Chicago Cubs 8-0 in the fourth game of the World Series, scored 10 runs in the seventh inning to win 10-8.
  • 1948 - The Yankees surprise their fans and a skeptical press when they name Casey Stengel to replace Bucky Harris as the team's manager. In his previous stints as the skipper with the National League's Braves and Dodgers, the 'Old Professor' had never finished higher than fifth place.
  • 1967 - The Cardinals earn their second World Championship of the decade with a 7-2 victory over Boston. Bob Gibson notches his third World Series win with a three-hitter, 10 strikeouts, and a fifth-inning home run. Lou Brock records seven stolen bases in the Series.
  • 1974 - Oakland slugging star Reggie Jackson connects for a homer off Andy Messersmith, and pitcher Ken Holtzman scores the second run in the fifth inning on a suicide squeeze. The A's win the World Series opener 3-2 as the Dodgers strand 12 baserunners.
  • 1977 - The Los Angeles Dodgers beat the New York Yankees 6-1 to even the World Series after two games. Catfish Hunter, who had not pitched in over a month, started the game for the Yankees. Ron Cey, Steve Yeager and Reggie Smith all homered and knocked out Hunter in the third inning.
  • 1980 - The Phillies capture their first NL title since 1950 with a 10-inning, 8-7 win over the Astros in the fifth and final game of the NLCS. Each of the last four games was decided in extra innings.1980 - The Phillies capture their first NL title since 1950 with a 10-inning, 8-7 win over the Astros in the fifth and final game of the NLCS. Each of the last four games was decided in extra innings.
  • 1986 - The California Angels were one pitch away from their first pennant when they let the Boston Red Sox back into the American League playoffs with an 11-inning 7-6 victory in Game 5.
  • 1991 - The Blue Jays chase Twins starter Kevin Tapani for the second time in the ALCS, but Minnesota's bullpen and bats lead to six unanswered runs in Game Five as the Twins win their third pennant.
  • 1993 - The Toronto Blue Jays, behind the strong pitching of Dave Stewart, beat the Chicago White Sox 6-3 to win the American League pennant in six games.
  • 2003 - With his team having lost three consecutive playoff games and on the brink of elimination in the NLCS, Marlins starter Josh Becket sends the series back to Chicago when he strikes out 11 Chicago batters and gives up just two hits en route to tossing a 4-0 shutout at Pro Player Stadium.
  • 2009 - The Cubs file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Wilmington, Delaware. The anticipated short-term move will allow the club's owner, the Tribune Company, to sell the team in an $845 million deal to the family of TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.’s founder, Joe Ricketts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Both the game starts, I just want to say it's been fun being a part of Satan's Series with you guys.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
gently caress the Cardinals forever

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Voted new thread title

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002
Hail Satan

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
I Worship Baseba'al

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

go cards.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is it raining there?

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Third Best Fans in Baseball, apparently.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm here for the bullshit.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

vegeta dentata posted:

:bandwagon:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

vegeta dentata posted:

Missouri goes to the Royals :laugh:

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Missouri goes to the Royals :laugh:

24k average attendance would seem to indicate otherwise

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Come on Lance shut these guys down!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I've been up since 5 AM so I hope I can stay awake through this game

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Remember when Lance Lynn gave up multiple home runs to the broken corpse of Aubrey Huff? That was funny.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This has worked so far so

Go gigantes

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is it raining there?

The weather all day has been akin to the vegetable mister at the grocery store.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

I've been up since 5 AM so I hope I can stay awake through this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf2Dr3XJUJk&t=28s

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lynn was pretty great all season. Lots of strikeouts. I'm not expecting too many runs off him tonight

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is it raining there?

Woh, woh, a Giants NLCS game against the Cards in the rain?

:getin:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Woh, woh, a Giants NLCS game against the Cards in the rain?

:getin:

I don't think Scutaro can laugh in rain anymore. I doubt his back would survive. :(

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I hope this series goes to seven games, and whoever wins is too tired to put up a fight against the AL team.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Doctor J Off posted:

I hope this series goes to seven games, and whoever wins is too tired to put up a fight against the AL team.

Didn't work in 2012.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Doctor J Off posted:

Like in 2012 you mean?

E: drat it

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't think Scutaro can laugh in rain anymore. I doubt his back would survive. :(

Fine

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
daaamn

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
That OF defense :allears:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Grichuk hangs on this time!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Argh, nice catch :argh:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
gently caress that

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Brilliant camera work there Fox. Anyway I really appreciate Grichuk out there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Soooooo close

At least the Giants are grinding out long at-bats early

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

So close.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well that was a fuckin catch and a half Jesus Christ

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff by grichuk

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Didn't work in 2012.

I'm hoping we can attribute that to Detroit misery magic.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Doctor J Off posted:

I'm hoping we can attribute that to Detroit misery magic.

The record for ALCS teams that sweep is not good when they get in the WS.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Go Cardinals imho

• Locked thread