Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I guess it's because I never played DnD, but jesus christ is this game kinda hard. I feel like my dude is made out of tinfoil, and can't hit things for poo poo. I guess I'll just try a straight fighter next time, instead of the weird swashbuckler DLC class, but I really hope it makes the game easier or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
you should just not play nwn2 because it's p. bad or skip to mask of the betrayer

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Neverwinter Nights is good and the sequel is good

But it is not hard and you're just bad at games/logic

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
nwn2 is bad and looks like asss

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

someone please tell me what af means my parents never taught me :(

Dec 26, 2012

play a caster, op

or if you must make a fighter build towards weapon master

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Dexters Secret posted:

artifact, indicating the quality of the game

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I guess it's because I never played DnD,

it's a non-4th edition dnd game, just make a bunch of magic class characters

if you want to melee poo poo then play a druid

Dec 26, 2012

make a cleric if you want to cast + do melee

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

It mean's "As gently caress".

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Wormskull posted:

It mean's "As gently caress".

:love: thank you wormskull you are the cutest poster!!! :love:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

There are a few things you can do, OP.

Druids are extremely powerful in NWN2, spellcasters with metamagic feats are strong enough to steamroll most of the game, melee characters are actually pretty decent (swashbuckler can be great but requires a good build).

If you want to just hit stuff be a Barbarian and rage. Once you get like 10 levels or so start going into Frenzied Berserker and you get two rages that stack and make you really strong.

Dec 26, 2012

idk about nwn but in 3.5 swashbuckler is abject garbage unless you treat it as a 3-level dip and then do some other class

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

01011001 posted:

idk about nwn but in 3.5 swashbuckler is abject garbage unless you treat it as a 3-level dip and then do some other class

I don't really know 3.5 that well but I've spent a decent amount of time reading up on NWN2 builds. There are certainly effective builds for Swashbuckler, but they're definitely on the weaker end.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Minrad posted:

artifact, indicating the quality of the game

It means as gently caress

I decided to go with a battleaxe fighter for my new playthrough, not that easy to gently caress a fighters build up!

Dec 26, 2012

its actually way easier to gently caress up a fighter build than a caster build lol

gently caress 3.5

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I started playing Mask of the Betrayer, got through the caves, went to the theater in town, and got owned by all the gnolls and demons that rear end in a top hat wizard kept summoning, and I gave up. I'll probably beat it one of these days but for now gently caress it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
NWN2 is so amazingly clunky. I don't know what Obsidian were thinking when they made that interface, but it is complete garbage. Something as simple and important as controlling party members manages to be worse than the IE games in every conceivable way. You can't box-select your party members ffs

The opening chapters are... *yawns* really ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 13, 2014

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Oh man, I always hear all sorts of poo poo about how pre 4th edition dnd is just wizardlands of magic, so I guess I'll be a radical wizard throwing fireballs n poo poo, *sigh* life is tough.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Oh man, I always hear all sorts of poo poo about how pre 4th edition dnd is just wizardlands of magic, so I guess I'll be a radical wizard throwing fireballs n poo poo, *sigh* life is tough.

If you want I would recommend Sorcerer focusing on metamagic feats. Sorcerer because you can choose more spells on the fly (although this doesn't really matter). Metamagic basically lets you take lower level spells and cast them as higher level spells, but their power is massively increased. It's easy as hell to do and very effective.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You're going to be bored no matter what, because the game is awful

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

You're going to be bored no matter what, because the game is awful

The first act is not very good. It gets better after that but I lost my save and I didn't want to replay the first act again.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I only want to play MotB. The main campaign sounds retarded to me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the base game is p mediocre, i'd honestly put DS3's story above it in terms of obsidian games, both expansion packs are pretty fun and better than it, though

storm of zehir is p much an attempt to get as close to a tabletop game "feel" as possible, with a bunch of random quests and dungeons wherever you go, shitloads of random magic loot dumped at your feet, and a zillion ways to get through everything with all kinds of classes, also it has no big ties into the main game/other expac so you could start here for something a bit more chill

mask of the betrayer is crazy as hell and has really great writing, but its also a high level expac so you either want to do the main game first or be hopelessly lost with a new L18 dude

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I only want to play MotB. The main campaign sounds retarded to me.

supposedly it picks up at some point but i stopped before then because the beginning of the game is a prolonged exercise in padding poo poo out

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=945 this is the most noticeable part

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've been in the mood for and olde-style longass fantasy rpg story, and don't really care about the plot so this is the best game ever right now.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

01011001 posted:

supposedly it picks up at some point but i stopped before then because the beginning of the game is a prolonged exercise in padding poo poo out

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=945 this is the most noticeable part

I don't like how he underplays the orc part. It's really bad and it kills my will to play more than the others.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also glad to see true gamer and coder Shamus Young get a shout-out in this thread. Shamus Young is truly a gamer saint and the forerunner of the "Fallout 3 was dumb" movement.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

casters are OP as gently caress in NWN2 because you can use all your spells in each encounter then rest afterward to regain them

Dec 26, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

I don't like how he underplays the orc part. It's really bad and it kills my will to play more than the others.

there are several parts of that that are underplayed, like the thief ghetto slog takes days and is at no point interesting

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
NWN2 is fun, the trial and the keep are pretty entertaining.

The ending sure is an ending too!

Dec 26, 2012

op + regdate buddy, im gonna try to play this game again and maybe ill get past the garbage part this time

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Silver Striker posted:

the best part about that is that after killing every single orc in old owl well you can get a greataxe that does bonus damage vs orcs

you never fight another orc in the entire game

Dec 26, 2012

red plastic cup posted:

the best part about that is that after killing every single orc in old owl well you can get a greataxe that does bonus damage vs orcs

that fully owns

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

red plastic cup posted:

This is why I hate weapons that deal damage to only a specific monster type.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
seems like those were pretty smart orcs besides them all dying even without the axe

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The only upside to the axe is that I'm pretty sure it sells for a lot of gold. I don't really remember though because around that point in the game you start having a stupid amount of gold and can buy basically anything you want.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

i shall spoil the ending to NWN2 for you

"rocks fall and everyone dies"

there now you don't have to play it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I read the LP, but only a bonafide dummy would play a game to find out the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

act 1 is horrible and way too long but the trial and the whole castle thing are cool and then you can take your char into motb which is one of the best rpgs ever

• Locked thread