Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

MrSpiffy posted:

Episode 4 is live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skaRCdcphc

Watch as teenagers around the internet learn to deal with emotions!

I wonder how many of those teenagers will see the first big plot development coming based on the opening.

How did you land on referencing Lawrence of Arabia for that?

Max fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

marnold posted:

^
We knew we wanted Freddie to die in a mundane way off-camera. We always had motorcycle jokes designed for freddie in all 3 seasons. Budget and what not always stopped them from happening. (like season 1 when Freddie comes in on his bike, that was supposed to be the oft-mentioned dirt bike, and he was supposed to fly in through the window... probably better we had a low budget). So a motorcycle crash felt simple and right.

And we knew we wanted to start with freddie, and IMPLY the death but not show it. And that it would then be a unique cold open in that it didnt involve Napalm, and we wanted to as quickly as possible get the audience's guard down. I mean, the next thing is a laugh track episode.

Anyways, long story short... we just sort of thought of it. It was just pitched after all those considerations were in place. And it sort of just felt right instantly. I love it for a lot of reasons, beyond that Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie. It sort of places Freddie as a mythic figure, ala Lawrence, but also as a simple man who enjoyed things in life. its the only time you see freddie happy. (well...). I like that it comments on the place webseries have in media... which is still essentially nothing compared to the grandeur of epic cinema. Its just a weird opening that seemed to work for all the right reasons.

I agree, I think it worked really well. I love that film too, and once I saw what you were doing, I figured Freddie wasn't long for this world, since this show (and this season in particular) seem too smart to not follow through on such a direct reference like that.

Interestingly, I have no idea where the story is going now, since Napalm won in the background. That's sort of exciting.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TheChad posted:

I've been cheering for The Law since season 1.

The Law is the true protagonist of the series. Brian D is actually the antagonist. I've been cheering for him since episode 1.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This was my favorite season. I actually liked every episode, and I think you guys really hit your stride with your writing and production.

Was there possibly a longer version of that epilogue that got cut? It did feel a little short for what it was. I really thought you were going to pull something where Brian got some sort of offer from someone, he's obviously an excellent player.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Soysaucebeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seeWJSCqj4c

Speaking of, what is that song that plays at the beginning? It almost sounds like Dr. Light from The Protomen, but it's not a song of theirs I recognize.

Speaking of sound effects, there was that moment where Ted was recovering from the destroyed tank, and the alarm playing in the background sounded like it was from Goldeneye. If it was, then I hate my brain and its desire to remember stupid bullshit.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bugsmasher posted:

YES! Glad I'm not the only one that heard that.

There were a few Goldeneye inspirations, so I'm not surprised. That proximity mine was another good throwback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

Great final season! You guys really improved from Season 1, it's a shame the series is over. My only real gripe is that there wasn't as much of The Law this time around... even if there were two of them!

I felt this way until I saw what had become of him in the last episode. Of course he ended up at a game shop.

• Locked thread