Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyone else apart from maybe Ned would have realized that Quentyn "The Most Boring Man In Dorne" Martell showing up with a contract wouldn't be enough. Even Stannis would have at least come on the trip himself to glare at her a little in person. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Both of these pictures are Jonathan Pryce

I'm dumb. Fixing it now.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

lifts cats over head posted:

I never took Quentyn's plot as Doran's trump card rather his plan B, or even C. I may be getting the order of things mixed up but the primary plan was to betroth Arianne to Viserys until Drogo put an end to that.

^This. It's why Arianne was all butthurt that Quentyn was "stealing her birthright." Quentyn was raised to be heir of Sunspear because Arianne was supposed to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Then Drogo happened. In retrospect, clueing his daughter in on the plan would have probably been a good idea.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

webmeister posted:

If season 5 does end with Dany flying off and finishing her ADWD plot, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ironborn fleet just appears from nowhere outside Meereen when she returns early in season 6. My guess is that plot-wise, the main reason Victarion arrives in Meereen is to provide ships to get Dany back to Westeros, and if that's actually the case then we don't need two season's worth of politics and exposition to get there. It'll really only take 1-2 scenes of "this is who we are (Theon's uncles), this is where we're going (Meereen) and why (to kidnap/marry the dragon queen and steal her dragons)" to fully establish them.

If they do this, I do think it'll more likely be Euron, and Victarion will be cut. Then they'll just need to explain that he's exiled and he reaves over here in Essos. Then he can steal one or two of the dragons (if that's what happens) and then go kill Balon.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
How the gently caress would the Dornish be able to guide an crippled man through a war zone? Doran's done many mistakes but not going in person isn't one of them.

Also wouldn't Ceresi & co wonder why the gently caress Doran is going half way across the world to an currently under siege city with zero trade?

BillBear fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
So no word on Wyman Manderly I take it?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Scapegoat posted:

So no word on Wyman Manderly I take it?

I'm guessing that's not going to make the show cut. He would have needed to be introduced already. Shame...because the manderly pie was pretty awesome, and seemed to be foreshadowed a little bit with Bran's rat king story.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think they'll eventually have him, but I'm guessing not this season. I thought the fact that his son was featured in the Red Wedding would be a guarantee he'd show up. Why else would they give a random red-shirt the Manderly sigil right behind Robb.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Grand plans failing is kind of a theme in the books. Best example being Tywin. We see him basically win the war against the north and he secures alliances throughout Westeros, providing what should have been a stable foothold for his descendants to continue a dominant rule. Well, that kinda goes out the window thanks to Tyrion's crossbow and Cersei's paranoia. Even his plan with installing the Boltons in the north is about to come crumbling apart.

Despite Tywin's plans not really succeeding in the long-term, I doubt anyone would call him an idiot, and I feel the same way towards other "players" like Doran. Both characters follow the idea of trying to control something that is inherently uncontrollable (war).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If they don't introduce Wyman this season, then I'm sure he's cut. I'm sure they're gonna get to the gathering at Winterfell (wedding or no) this season and I don't think he'd be introduced after that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

I think they'll eventually have him, but I'm guessing not this season. I thought the fact that his son was featured in the Red Wedding would be a guarantee he'd show up. Why else would they give a random red-shirt the Manderly sigil right behind Robb.

Maybe, again, the rat king story really seemed to be setting up for manderly pie. But at this point, it's so late in the game to introduce him that anyone who hasn't read the books is going to be like "who's this fat gently caress?"

Although we have pretty much heard nothing from Judy Winslow Rickon...if Davos hunting down Rickon is actually a major plot point (as opposed to GRRM just sayng "well poo poo...I guess I have to do something about little Timmy") then I guess Manderly has to make an appearance. But at this point in the show I don't know how that can happen without it feeling really forced.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think they just wanted Bran to tell a creepy story to set the mood of the scene, and they thought rat king was the creepiest.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
If the Yezzan casting is any indication, they'll get DJ Qualls to portray Wyman Manderly.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lycus posted:

I think they just wanted Bran to tell a creepy story to set the mood of the scene, and they thought rat king was the creepiest.

Except bran is incapable of creepy, because to be creepy, he'd have to stop being boring.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Rat King story also served to contextualized the events of the Red Wedding which just happened.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Rat King story also served to contextualized the events of the Red Wedding which just happened.

Did that really need context? Inviting people to a party and then killing them is bad, m'kay?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Did that really need context? Inviting people to a party and then killing them is bad, m'kay?

It was making the point how grievous / how much trouble you're in for murdering guests is compared to even cannibalism. Unfortunately the lack of Stoneheart makes it look like the Frey's have got no blowback from the Red Wedding.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

still not sure that needs additional context.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

loquacius posted:

Anyone else apart from maybe Ned would have realized that Quentyn "The Most Boring Man In Dorne" Martell showing up with a contract wouldn't be enough. Even Stannis would have at least come on the trip himself to glare at her a little in person. :colbert:

I suppose you may be right but the thing is if the circumstances were just a little bit different then his plan would've worked. There wasn't anything about his plan that was inherently flawed. Especially considering it was a backup plan. If Viserys wouldn't have died, there is a 100% chance he would've married Arianne. Doran assumed that Daenerys would behave like her brother. At certain points she probably would have but the moment Quentyn visited she didn't.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I still don't get why Balon isn't dead yet, especially since they made a whole scene of 3 dickleeches.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I still don't get why Balon isn't dead yet, especially since they made a whole scene of 3 dickleeches.

They probably don't want to kill him until they're ready to introduce his alleged killer. (Unless he's cut)

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
The show has been pretty good at coming back to stuff laid out in previous seasons. I was pretty surprised Balon survived season 4, but it's also easy to see his death and the following Kingsmoot as way to re-introduce Yara/Asha early on for the new season.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I read somewhere that Bran and Hodor's actors were given this season off, as in, they're not in season 5 at all, so we're unlikely to see Bran become a tree (or whatever the gently caress) for at least another year and a half.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Torquemada posted:

I read somewhere that Bran and Hodor's actors were given this season off, as in, they're not in season 5 at all, so we're unlikely to see Bran become a tree (or whatever the gently caress) for at least another year and a half.

That is the best news I've heard all week if it's true. gently caress Bran.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I have heard the same rumors but Leaf has been confirmed to return so I find it unlikely that there will be no Bran.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

I have heard the same rumors but Leaf has been confirmed to return so I find it unlikely that there will be no Bran.

You'd imagine the production costs just took a nosedive for Bran since they can put the cave set anywhere.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I thought I read that it's just Hodor that has the year off. So if so, he (and presumably Meera) will be off in another part of the cave during Bran's scenes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lycus posted:

I thought I read that it's just Hodor that has the year off. So if so, he (and presumably Meera) will be off in another part of the cave during Bran's scenes.

presumably Hodoring.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

presumably Hodoring.

Maybe he finds a well to yell down :unsmith:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah from what I remember, he was pretty cagey about what he was and wasn't filming. He was pretty clear that they were currently filming without him, but the way it was phrased didn't seem to indicate that he wasn't involved at all.

Unlike Hodor, who directly said he was getting a year off from filming.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All men must die. Some just take a season or two longer.

Just accept that the show runs on drama time. Balon will die when it's necessary for him to die.

Any idea where they are going to end the Stannis plot this year? There were rumours of them filming a battle, weren't there?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

I just want to state that I think the Meereenese Blot blog from the OP is one of the best ASOIAF related things on the internet and required reading if you're a fan of the books

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Just be glad they didn't go with their original plan of having Conan Stevens play Tyrion.

Shoulda gotten Conan O'Brien.

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm guessing that's not going to make the show cut. He would have needed to be introduced already. Shame...because the manderly pie was pretty awesome, and seemed to be foreshadowed a little bit with Bran's rat king story.

It'd be a shame to cut Wyman Manderley, but if the show is keen on keeping familiar, popular characters like Bronn and Gendry around to fill in for dispensable minor roles, maybe Greatjon Umber could fill in for Lord Lamprey? Clive Mantle totally nailed it as the Greatjon and it'd be cool to bring him back

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Sex Falcon posted:

It'd be a shame to cut Wyman Manderley, but if the show is keen on keeping familiar, popular characters like Bronn and Gendry around to fill in for dispensable minor roles, maybe Greatjon Umber could fill in for Lord Lamprey? Clive Mantle totally nailed it as the Greatjon and it'd be cool to bring him back

that would make sense, since Osha was taking him to the umbers anyway.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

New thread reminder Aegon is a lovely character that's going to get cut from the show.

:toxx:

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
First images of Myrcella, Trystane, and Areo Hotah in costume

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nice axe.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Duncan Sperguson posted:

I just want to state that I think the Meereenese Blot blog from the OP is one of the best ASOIAF related things on the internet and required reading if you're a fan of the books

Whenever I'm chatting with a book reader about Dany's arc in Meereen, I inevitably admit it's one of my favorite parts of the series. Wouldn't believe how many people's instant reaction is "Why, she does nothing but chat with nobles all the time!"

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Dany's chapters until all the stuff started to pile up around her in Meereen. Easy to be badass and just trample through cities, but so much more interesting seeing her try to actually assert herself as a legitimate ruler for a city she's conquered. Makes it all the more tragic when she's just on the cusp of peace and then, gently caress it, burn this poo poo down (presumably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I also like Dany's Meereen chapters because it completely shatters the image that Dany is competent at ruling. Dany does some seriously badass poo poo until she actually tries to sit down and rule, also it looks like the show will hold back no punches in showing it.

• Locked thread