Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm a little anxious that, after some of the best seasons of Game of Thrones yet, the producers might not be able to handle the burden of passing GRRM up, and might end up cutting some plotlines that would have made some good TV. I'm sure Game of Thrones will still be very entertaining, but the best might be past us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I wouldn't go as far to say she's incompetent. She manages to keep people from slitting each other's throats for a while, despite all the different factions that are clearly eager for a war/another power transition. Her chapters definitely illustrate the how many sacrifices have to be made for an "idealist" to actually effect change. She gives up her "family" (dragons), love life (marrying Hrizdar), and she also gives up the idea of her being a "mother" to those conquered when she shuts the gates to the Yunkish and lets disease run rampant outside.

It's easy to criticize in retrospect especially when we have more information than her of what is really going on outside, but the idea that she is completely incompetent is a bit much in my opinion. I came away from ADWD more impressed at her ability to rule than I did in all previous books. Which is why it makes it even more tragic that she's basically (probably, presumably) gonna burn everything she worked for down so she can become "a dragon".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently at least one major theory is getting some fuel for the fire in AWOIAF. I'm guessing Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son is the one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently at least one major theory is getting some fuel for the fire in AWOIAF. I'm guessing Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son is the one.
Haha, you all called me mad when I tossed the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" theory out there, but I'm not mad, I say!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Haha, you all called me mad when I tossed the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" theory out there, but I'm not mad, I say!

Assuming Aegon is a fake I think it's at least plausible.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Either that or Aegon being a Blackfyre I'd say. Any others either aren't divisive enough or are silly stuff like Roose is a vampire.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'd be very surprised if Tyrion is a secret Targ. It just feels like a silly cop-out that undermines three books worth of Tyrion/Tywin interaction

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If any of the Lannister kids are secret Targs it should be Cercei and Jamie. It explains the twincest and adds even more emotional oomps to the Tyrion/Tywin scenes if Tyrion is Tywins only actual son.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
How would we even find out if any of them were Arys' kids? Is there anyone even alive who would know?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
People think Selmy would know since he was nervous talking about Aerys and Tywin's wife.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Big Bug Hug posted:

How would we even find out if any of them were Arys' kids? Is there anyone even alive who would know?

Joanna's alive! I knew it!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

JT Jag posted:

I think it's possible...the showrunners know the main story arc, and have had to work visual foreshadowing in...watching the scene with Tyrion and Tywin Season 4 Ep 1 where he talks about letting Tyrion live "for the good of the family" in the context of "Tywin knows he's Joanna's rape baby and said nothing to protect Lannister honor" makes a lot of sense.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

I guess we could find out that Arys definitely did take liberties with Joanna. That wouldn't be outright confirmation Tyrion is a Targ but it would lend a little more weight to the theory.

There's really no evidence against Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son other than 'More secret Targs would be stupid'

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's definitely mermen.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Whizbang posted:

It's definitely mermen.

I really want to see a merman.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
Targaryens are the Saiyans of the Ice and Fire universe. Dany (Goku) and her evil brother Viserys (Raditz) are allegedly the only two Targaryens left at the beginning of the series, but as the story progresses more and more come out of the woodwork. Dany even summons dragons from spherical stones. This analogy will be complete in Winds when Jon and Dany do the fusion dance and reach Super Targaryan level 4.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Bonesnap posted:

Targaryens are the Saiyans of the Ice and Fire universe. Dany (Goku) and her evil brother Viserys (Raditz) are allegedly the only two Targaryens left at the beginning of the series, but as the story progresses more and more come out of the woodwork. Dany even summons dragons from spherical stones. This analogy will be complete in Winds when Jon and Dany do the fusion dance and reach Super Targaryan level 4.

You're missing the biggest comparison at all, that it takes Dany practically forever to power up (get her army) and actually accomplish something.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's really no evidence against Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son other than 'More secret Targs would be stupid'
There's really no evidence for Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son other than 'Aerys took some liberties with Joanna'

Seriously, though, in the books, is there more talk about Aerys lusting after Joanna beyond what happened during the bedding at her and Tywin's wedding?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

If any of the Lannister kids are secret Targs it should be Cercei and Jamie. It explains the twincest

I don't get why every so often people ITT act like incest is an inherited genetic trait :confused:

They're both huge narcissists and have a twin sibling who looks a lot like them. That's all that's necessary to explain the twincest.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

There's really no evidence for Tyrion being Arys and Joanna's son other than 'Aerys took some liberties with Joanna'

Seriously, though, in the books, is there more talk about Aerys lusting after Joanna beyond what happened during the bedding at her and Tywin's wedding?

somewhat. and tyrion's hair is white blond, not lannister blond, and he has mismatched eyes which another distant targ relative has.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
There are lots of good narrative reasons for Tyrion not to be a secret targ, like a) it would be stupid b) it retroactively ruins the character dynamics between him and Tywin and c) it would be stupid

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortabis posted:

There are lots of good narrative reasons for Tyrion not to be a secret targ, like a) it would be stupid b) it retroactively ruins the character dynamics between him and Tywin and c) it would be stupid

I'm trying to think of an equivalent situation where it would just ruin everything. Maybe have it so Batman's parents were secretly alive the whole time?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Soylent Pudding posted:

If any of the Lannister kids are secret Targs it should be Cercei and Jamie. It explains the twincest and adds even more emotional oomps to the Tyrion/Tywin scenes if Tyrion is Tywins only actual son.

Incest is unfortunately more common in real life and more important to human history than we may like it to be, and does not require 'special magic blood of the dragons that makes you want to keep it in the family' to explain it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

computer parts posted:

I'm trying to think of an equivalent situation where it would just ruin everything. Maybe have it so Batman's parents were secretly alive the whole time?
Having Bucky still be alive.
Making Uncle Bens death not Peters fault.
Have Gollum voluntarily give Bilbo the ring
Making Dexters killing impulses be a ghost possessing him
Turning Sylar into a good guy
Making Anakin the chosen one

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

More importantly if Tyrion was a secret Targ it would be one of the biggest fantasy tropes that GRRM has been trying to avoid. The book already has one secret Targ (Jon) and vaulting another one of the major characters, and arguably the fan's favorite, into potential dragon rider territory would be very underwhelming. I think the hints about him being a secret Targ are one big red herring.

Now Jaime and Cersei being secret Targs would make a lot more of an impact. As it's been said before the juxtaposition of how Tywin would have treated his actual son compared to the secret Targs is a lot more interesting of a plot dynamic.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

lifts cats over head posted:

Now Jaime and Cersei being secret Targs would make a lot more of an impact. As it's been said before the juxtaposition of how Tywin would have treated his actual son compared to the secret Targs is a lot more interesting of a plot dynamic.
That's my take on it, too. The twins being the result of what happened during Joanna's wedding night also makes more sense than Tyrion being the result of an unspecified meeting between Aerys and Joanna (who also stayed at Casterly Rock) that happened some eight years after.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I know we already knew this because of Maggie the Frog and young Cersei being cast, but D&D confirmed at a Q&A they're going to start using flashbacks now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lifts cats over head posted:

More importantly if Tyrion was a secret Targ it would be one of the biggest fantasy tropes that GRRM has been trying to avoid. The book already has one secret Targ (Jon) and vaulting another one of the major characters, and arguably the fan's favorite, into potential dragon rider territory would be very underwhelming. I think the hints about him being a secret Targ are one big red herring.

Unless Jon isn't a secret Targaryen after all. That would be fun, if only to watch the entire internet spontaneously combust.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

GonSmithe posted:

I know we already knew this because of Maggie the Frog and young Cersei being cast, but D&D confirmed at a Q&A they're going to start using flashbacks now.

I wonder how they're going to do this. It seems kind of strange if they become a show device now because flashbacks are really only relevant for Bran and Cersei (thus far). Will everyone else suddenly have flashbacks all of a sudden or just those two characters?

Also, how would it work? *LOST wooshing sound effect*? Cold opens?

As an aside, I was also really hoping that they woud cut the valonqar crap. Cersei can go mad without it. It seemed like an asspull in the books and it'll seem like an even bigger asspull in the show because Cersei and Tyrion had a kind of burgeoning respect for each other in Season 2 and 3 with all their heart-to-hearts.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess we could find out that Arys definitely did take liberties with Joanna. That wouldn't be outright confirmation Tyrion is a Targ but it would lend a little more weight to the theory.

Well apart from the fact Tywin admits Tyrion is his son after Jaime's gently caress up in the riverlands and Tywin's sister saying Tyrion is Tywin's true son while Jaime was more like his brothers.. oh yeah and Tyrion still being alive, Tywin would have zero reason to keep him around if he wasn't his son.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ahaha oh god

Watchers on the Wall posted:

There have been rumors for several months now that Jaime’s storyline will diverge significantly from A Song of Ice and Fire for season 5. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Jerome Flynn filmed on Portstewart Strand, Northern Ireland for several days with characters in Dornish clothing, confirming the men would be headed for the southernmost region of Westeros.

More details of a major new scene are emerging now, according to Los Siete Reinos‘s sources in Spain. Los Siete Reinos reports that in this scene Jaime and Bronn arrive in Dorne to find Myrcella and Prince Trystane kissing. Myrcella is surprised to see her “uncle” Jaime, and Trystane offers his hand in greeting to Jaime, who offers him his left hand instead.

Heated words are then exchanged between Jaime and Trystane, and the younger man tries to draw his sword. Bronn knocks the prince unconscious. After this, the three Sand Snakes enter. A fight between the group ensues, until Areo Hotah shows up and orders everyone to put their weapons down.

This information is credible since there have been unconfirmed rumors of a Jaime/Snakes skirmish for a while now, and then a few days ago, a video of Nikolaj rehearsing a fight turned up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BillBear posted:

Well apart from the fact Tywin admits Tyrion is his son after Jaime's gently caress up in the riverlands and Tywin's sister saying Tyrion is Tywin's true son while Jaime was more like his brothers.. oh yeah and Tyrion still being alive, Tywin would have zero reason to keep him around if he wasn't his son.
Joanna was Tywin's cousin, remember? A trueborn Lannister in her own right. Tyrion killed her coming into the world. Tywin might hate him, might even doubt Tyrion is his own son. But he's the last thing his beloved Joanna left to this world... And sentimentality aside, he's a Lannister, no matter what.

Think about what we know about Tywin. About his defining characteristics, which were in a way also his fatal flaws: his pride, his need to protect the family legacy and the love he bore his wife. Of course he would've raised Tyrion regardless.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

ahaha oh god

I like parts of that scene. If they replaced the Sand Snakes with a few red-shirt Dorne men I think it would be an excellent way to introduce Hotah but to have the Sand Snakes run in as some sort of SUPER ACTION FIGHTING GIRL SQUAD could easily come across as cheesy. Of course this is all out of full context so the actual scene could present as a lot smoother so I guess I'll reserve my final opinion for later.

Edit: Some images of Doran surfaced as well.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 16, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I always thought Doran would be pudgier than that

No one is as fat as they should be in this show.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Doran looks kinda badass, Dornishmen have some nice outfits.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

I wonder how they're going to do this. It seems kind of strange if they become a show device now because flashbacks are really only relevant for Bran and Cersei (thus far). Will everyone else suddenly have flashbacks all of a sudden or just those two characters?

Also, how would it work? *LOST wooshing sound effect*? Cold opens?

As an aside, I was also really hoping that they woud cut the valonqar crap. Cersei can go mad without it. It seemed like an asspull in the books and it'll seem like an even bigger asspull in the show because Cersei and Tyrion had a kind of burgeoning respect for each other in Season 2 and 3 with all their heart-to-hearts.

guessing they use bran becoming a tree and "greenseeing" to explain the existence of flashbacks. There was some suggestion of that season 4 ep 1. Congratulations, Bran. You went from worthless character to plot device.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I always thought Doran would be pudgier than that

No one is as fat as they should be in this show.

What are you doing? We said TV ugly, not ugly ugly...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I mean he's gouty and he spends all his time lounging and plotting, I don't think Doran would maintain a proper coiled-like-a-whip Dornish physique for long, nor would he care to.

Maybe he maintains his appearance by having a fantastic diet, despite being sedentary.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He's totally standing up and his feet aren't swelled up to three times their normal size from gout, MY IMMERSION :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Doran's reputation as a gout ridden fat dude being an elaborate deception seems like a wonderful angle for cementing him as a spymaster immediately.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread