Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Sigh. No. I'm not "trolling". I'm sorry that's you're all so invested in wishing that one of the best authors ever dies before he finishes his book series.

Have a little faith why don't you!

I used to have a vested interest in the completion of the books.

Then like seven different Westeros anthology books came out.

Then GRRM spent every dayhosting some GOT event, attending some con or updating his football blog.

Then the TV series announced they were passing the books.

Then GRRM voiced his disdain at the widely held sentiment that he was going to die.

Then I began actively gaining pleasure from the idea that he will never finish the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

speshl guy posted:

Then GRRM voiced his disdain at the widely held sentiment that he was going to die.

What a clown!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

speshl guy posted:

Then I began actively gaining pleasure from the idea that he will never finish the books.

Absolutely epic my man.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
Just waiting for him to die so Daniel Abraham can finish the series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Naw, they'll get Brandon Sanderson and the last three books will be written and off to the publisher before Martin's family finishes sitting shiva.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno who those guys are, but I assume the last books will suck if someone else writes them like when those other dudes wrote Asimov's Foundation prequels.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Theres only supposed to be two more books

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ya im not gonna read it if another person writes them. They'll probably cur out the hosed stuff or double down on it and ruin the tone.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Austrian mook posted:

This is demonstrably untrue, gently caress off. GRRM is doing the best he can. TWOW will release in 2016.

Austrian mook posted:

Sigh. No. I'm not "trolling". I'm sorry that's you're all so invested in wishing that one of the best authors ever dies before he finishes his book series.

Have a little faith why don't you!

Austrian mook posted:

Theres only supposed to be two more books

Do you believe everything you are told? Because you still owe me money.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm gonna go with - his initial posts were not well received so he switched to the soft troll to give plausible deniability for the Puppetmaster defence. A goon classic

He does this in a lot of threads that I've seen, I think his older posts are also trolling.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blind Melon posted:

Do you believe everything you are told? Because you still owe me money.

What are you talking about?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Aaah, I see you've already forgotten you owe me a forums gift cert.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Just popping in to remind Austrian mook that she owes me :20bux: as well.

Also, I was surprised to see that Jon Snow is being featured in Season 6 promos. I thought he got stabbed to death?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blind Melon posted:

Aaah, I see you've already forgotten you owe me a forums gift cert.

gently caress off. I dont need to put up with this poo poo...

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Oh, looks like someone is welching on that bet we made.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Naw, they'll get Brandon Sanderson and the last three books will be written and off to the publisher before Martin's family finishes sitting shiva.

His will specifies that no one else will be able to finish the series and for his wife to burn his remaining notes and unpublished pages, like Virgil or Kafka only for nerd books. I imagine they'll find a loophole.

Not an original idea but fans are so desperate for new content (and the most obsessive have probably been soured by the show's ending) that you could probably make a profit by writing a series that is basically ASOIAF but with the names and certain details changed, starting off from where the last book ended. Fill it with insane theories and fan-service like something resembling Cleganebowl. I wonder how closely you could plagiarise before you got lawyered to death, probably not very. ASOIAF uses so many standard fantasy tropes and historical events that it wouldn't be too ridiculous to claim plausible deniability. These people are starving so it wouldn't even have to be any good.

The Yudkowsky guy is trying to submit Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (bad fanfiction that is just if Harry were a Redditor) for the Hugo's and Fifty Shades of Grey is literally Twilight fanfiction with the names replaced, so there's a precedent.

paco650 posted:

Also, I was surprised to see that Jon Snow is being featured in Season 6 promos. I thought he got stabbed to death?

They're not even bothering to cover his resurrection up any more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's Catholic though why would they sit shiva?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ague Proof posted:

His will specifies that no one else will be able to finish the series and for his wife to burn his remaining notes and unpublished pages, like Virgil or Kafka only for nerd books. I imagine they'll find a loophole.

Not an original idea but fans are so desperate for new content (and the most obsessive have probably been soured by the show's ending) that you could probably make a profit by writing a series that is basically ASOIAF but with the names and certain details changed, starting off from where the last book ended. Fill it with insane theories and fan-service like something resembling Cleganebowl. I wonder how closely you could plagiarise before you got lawyered to death, probably not very. ASOIAF uses so many standard fantasy tropes and historical events that it wouldn't be too ridiculous to claim plausible deniability. These people are starving so it wouldn't even have to be any good.

If GRRM likes money (and we all know he likes money) he should allow some other authors to write companion novels. I'd read a whole series on whatever wacky hijinx the folks in Asshai are up to! And show us some drat Sothoros!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's no show is jon snow if actually dead i'm surprised how many people i work with thought he was dead fro good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They've already been through "B-but Ned can't be dead, he's the hero!" and "B-but Rob can't be dead, he's the hero!", I think at this point the audience was pretty inured to Stark male leads in climactic roles getting murdered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they have a resurrection witch nearby?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Would the resurrection trick work on a decapitated body?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dolash posted:

They've already been through "B-but Ned can't be dead, he's the hero!" and "B-but Rob can't be dead, he's the hero!", I think at this point the audience was pretty inured to Stark male leads in climactic roles getting murdered.

Jon can't stay dead because they have not established any other characters that could continue the narrative. In Ned's case you had basically all his children + wife to continue it and in Robb's case it was the end of a narrative. Unless you are telling me that the Wall/Night's Watch is not going to play a major role in the next few seasons, there is simply no way that they can kill Jon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Melisandre and/or Davos could potentially continue the narrative, particularly if Davos joins the Night's Watch; but yeah, Jon's comin' back.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's Catholic though why would they sit shiva?

To respect his wishes. He wouldn't want anything, even his funeral process, to be completed in a timely manner.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's no show is jon snow if actually dead i'm surprised how many people i work with thought he was dead fro good.

yeah no way. Jon is dead I saw him get stabbed by that kid and the rapers. Stay tuned for Adventures of Bad Pussy.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
What if Davos and Mel find Jon's dead body next season but instead of resurrecting him they just carry his corpse around everywhere pretending he's still alive like in Weekend at Bernie's.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

*Ghsost walks in wearing Jon's head like Lime Cat or something* ah.. jon snow... welcome back

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

What if Davos and Mel find Jon's dead body next season but instead of resurrecting him they just carry his corpse around everywhere pretending he's still alive like in Weekend at Bernie's.

lol

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

paco650 posted:

yeah no way. Jon is dead I saw him get stabbed by that kid and the rapers. Stay tuned for Adventures of Bad Pussy.

The Adventures of Bronn: The search for the Bad Pussy.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Maybe it'll be like Alexander the Great's corpse - only the new king can bury the old king so everyone fights a series of wars for possession of Alexander's body, trying frantically to bury it before anyone else notices

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Its been 6 months and I'm still not over the Bad Pussy line.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lycus posted:

Melisandre and/or Davos could potentially continue the narrative, particularly if Davos joins the Night's Watch; but yeah, Jon's comin' back.

Why would Davos join the Nights Watch when he can go back to Dragonstone and lord it up

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When I watched it live I couldn't hear what she said so I thought goons were just making poo poo up. Then I grabbed a :filez: of Season 5 and watched with headphones and it was real. I can't believe it was real. Who even says pussy? What is happening?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

crew posted:

Why would Davos join the Nights Watch when he can go back to Dragonstone and lord it up

I don't think that's even an option.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

G-Mach posted:

The Adventures of Bronn: The search for the Bad Pussy.

He already found the Bad Pussy, he's looking for the Good Girl.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Anyhow. Based on what we know about the next season, I'm really looking forward to it. Closing Meereen, the Dothraki, Braavos, the Boltons, the Wall. Closing Cersei/Jaime, moving Brienne and Jaime to their endgame. Starting up the second pre-endgame plot (Euron, after Dorne). A decent number of secondary deaths to clear the field. Finally getting past rlj, the Tower of Joy flashback and Jon's death/resurrection. It seems like the plot won't move anywhere extremely forward - but a lot of hanging matters will be cleared up after the season. Good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

meristem posted:

Anyhow. Based on what we know about the next season, I'm really looking forward to it. Closing Meereen, the Dothraki, Braavos, the Boltons, the Wall. Closing Cersei/Jaime, moving Brienne and Jaime to their endgame. Starting up the second pre-endgame plot (Euron, after Dorne). A decent number of secondary deaths to clear the field. Finally getting past rlj, the Tower of Joy flashback and Jon's death/resurrection. It seems like the plot won't move anywhere extremely forward - but a lot of hanging matters will be cleared up after the season. Good.

Like, those moments all seem like they will hopefully be interesting, but the writers of this show (including Dave Hill) have shown that they are not very good at actually doing the beat by beat storytelling that one would hope for.

Example: Obara poisoning the kingdom's princess just as she boards a boat to sabotage any peace Dorne might have struck with the throne sounds like a good plot point, but in execution we ended up with the "Bad Pussy" line.

Edit: Ellaria poisoned her but whatever.

Max fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ellaria poisoned her. not Obara.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah you guys really need to seek therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Let's look at the awesome plot beats of season 5 and how they were executed.

Plot beat: Jaime and Bronn go on a brotrip to Dorne to save Myrcella, are foiled at the last minute.
Execution: Sand Snakes and bad pussy. Myrcella is killed in the stupidest way imaginable.

Plot beat: Stannis is forced to sacrifice his daughter.
Execution: Stannis would never sacrifice his daughter, not in a million years. "Father, lend me twenty good men." Stannis torches his daughter and forces literally everyone to watch while he does so.

Plot beat: Jon's actions as Lord Commander lead to his eventual betrayal and shanking.
Execution: Instead of having Jon use subterfuge and shadow magic to take political action against the Warden of the North, Jon is shanked for his controversial anti-Genocide position, which is shared only by Aemon and Sam. Potato boy gets the last stab, as predicted.

Plot beat: Roose's betrayal and Ramsay's brutality cause the Bolton hold on the North to be fragile, leading to a lot of internal tension.
Execution: One old woman says "the North remembers," is flayed.

Plot beat: Tyrion loses everything and is sold into slavery, but manages to get himself into a position where he could meet Daenerys.
Execution: "The dwarf stays alive until we find a cock merchant."

Plot beat: Cersei finally gets to be in charge, is terrible at it, and ends up at the mercy of a faction she legitimized herself.
Execution: This one they pulled off, and made it a bit less one-sided than the book version, which is nice.

Plot beat: Sansa learns to play the Game, but gets pitted against someone who chooses to ignore it.
Execution: I forget, does Sansa do anything clever before getting married to Rapeboy Skinner? I guess she tells Brienne to bugger off at some point.

Plot beat: Arya does a bunch of boring poo poo, then gets to be a badass killer who doesn't respect the Faceless Men.
Execution: Arya does a bunch of boring poo poo, then blows off a super easy kill to go mutilate and kill a pedophile. To hammer the point home, she says "I am Arya Stark, and you are nobody" to the guy she's killing.

Plot beat: Theon remembers his name.
Execution: Okay, Alfie Allen's Reek is pretty great.

Plot beat: Daenerys finds out that ruling is a lot harder than conquering, and keeps having to make sacrifices to maintain peace.
Execution: Daenerys fluctuates between coercion and executions and diplomacy and pardons, with little apparent rhyme or reason. The Sons of the Harpy are apparently a constant threat, but are never discussed outside of their first appearance.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread