Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Flytrap posted:

I don't see the problem there. Honestly, I wish more villains could have such a refreshing motivation.

Yeah I agree. I don't understand everyone who's like "the writing is SO BAD it gave me cancer" it's like...what writing? The old dude wants to gently caress with Korra. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It probably has less flavour than a regular twenty minute episode of the show though. I don't have a problem with the villain just being unambiguously bad but aside from the design he had pretty much nothing going for him. Armstrong is a huge dick out of nowhere but he also gets a twenty minute cutscene to be hugely charismatic dick, espouse objectivism and clown on raiden which gives him a decent presence in the story and make you want to kill him. Taking the time to give characters motives and personality is important even for mechanics focused action games, everyone loves Resident Evil villains for example despite how absurdly stupid they are because they still turn up and do silly, memorable things and get funny lines, Mungun didn't really do anything at all apart from laugh a load and then reveal his :stare: character design which I thought hurt the finale despite encounter design being rad as gently caress.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
This fight with the two giant spirits is loving awful. It's some real fake difficulty, because I can't loving SEE half the time because there's two huge things in a small arena.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rincewind posted:

Gathering all of the leftover random antagonists from the first two seasons into one dumb army was pretty clever, anyway.

I love how smug that waterbender looks every time he appears. I mean you've kicked his rear end 10 times in a row so far but this time, nah, he ain't worried :smug:

Also technically one of the villain's motivations was revenge in addition to being a dick.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Slime posted:

This fight with the two giant spirits is loving awful. It's some real fake difficulty, because I can't loving SEE half the time because there's two huge things in a small arena.

That's why they have the bright glowing red outline to let you know when to counter.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

That's why they have the bright glowing red outline to let you know when to counter.

Doesn't help me all that much when I can't see when it's about to connect on account of barely being able to tell where I actually am. And besides I cheesed the fight with good old airbending.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

The Moon Monster posted:

I love how smug that waterbender looks every time he appears. I mean you've kicked his rear end 10 times in a row so far but this time, nah, he ain't worried :smug:

Also technically one of the villain's motivations was revenge in addition to being a dick.

"You're going straight to the hospital. :smug:"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Throw me in as someone who enjoyed the pro bending. It's incredibly frustrating sometimes, and it can be difficult to keep track of everything that's being thrown around, but that kind of feels like the point. And throwing that last opponent into the water in the final match of Ace difficulty after failing so many times was ridiculously cathartic.

edit: On a different topic, can someone tell me how to get the waterbending chest on top of a rock that's only visible when you're at the top of a cliff thing in the Spirit World? I have no idea. Never mind. I figured it out right after I posted this, naturally.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Man, I thought I was pretty good at this game before I tried to play it on extreme.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Emong posted:

Man, I thought I was pretty good at this game before I tried to play it on extreme.

the naga running sequence right before the spirit world on extreme is bullshit :(

Emong
May 31, 2011

That triple mech fight is agony with such a slim margin of error.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Not only that but the closer you get to victory the more they spring up new behaviors and new cues for them. It's a thing you're supposed to bash your head against until you get lucky because the rng was forgiving one time in which moves they chain.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Nah the mechtank fights are more an excersise in knowing when to back off and be defensive. They have huge tells you just need to not get greedy and back off for a dodge or counter if possible. They are just completely opposite from normal enemies that encourage you to overwhelm them to keep them off guard. Trying to overwhelm a tank with offense just leads to you missing a que and getting a lightning punch to the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Nah the mechtank fights are more an excersise in knowing when to back off and be defensive. They have huge tells you just need to not get greedy and back off for a dodge or counter if possible. They are just completely opposite from normal enemies that encourage you to overwhelm them to keep them off guard. Trying to overwhelm a tank with offense just leads to you missing a que and getting a lightning punch to the face.

You can still pound on them with waterbending almost nonstop and swap over to Fire/Earth?Air for bigger damage when the time comes though.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It depends. You can do so much more damage waiting and doing a counter than you can with even charged up bending. If you can do both that's good but if you have to pick then countering is way better during the triple tank fight.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

You can still pound on them with waterbending almost nonstop and swap over to Fire/Earth?Air for bigger damage when the time comes though.

Waterbending does almost zero damage to them though. I found that only earth does enough damage to make the fun not a miserable slog.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, I think he was still talking about the Naga fight, not regular tank fights.

notZaar posted:

Waterbending does almost zero damage to them though. I found that only earth does enough damage to make the fun not a miserable slog.

I usually default to firebending for them. Seems to work well with chi charged up.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Maxed out firebending owns the tanks, before I had that maxed out I just defaulted to water to keep my distance so I could reliably block and counter.

Now I too am stuck on the Naga running segment where you fight the tanks on extreme and no real will to finish the game :/

I wish there was some sort of wave mode so I could play around with maxed out Korra some more.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fano posted:

Now I too am stuck on the Naga running segment where you fight the tanks on extreme and no real will to finish the game :/

Make sure you're using the waterbending shield to give yourself that extra hit (seems obvious, but I hadn't been until someone else in the thread mentioned it), and your biggest problem after that should just be the sections where they start making rocks show up on the ground. It takes a while to recognise all the moves, but they're telegraphed pretty obviously.

Emong
May 31, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Make sure you're using the waterbending shield to give yourself that extra hit (seems obvious, but I hadn't been until someone else in the thread mentioned it), and your biggest problem after that should just be the sections where they start making rocks show up on the ground. It takes a while to recognise all the moves, but they're telegraphed pretty obviously.

I've been trying to use airbending + earthbending to leap over those sections, and it works well enough when I don't gently caress up the timing.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fano posted:

Maxed out firebending owns the tanks, before I had that maxed out I just defaulted to water to keep my distance so I could reliably block and counter.

I wish there was some sort of wave mode so I could play around with maxed out Korra some more.

You and I are the same person. :O

Yeah I just want endless waves of enemies and like 15 tanks at the same time so I can wear spirit korra costume, dart around on an airball and massacre everything with my max air and fire bendings.

The naga fight was more difficult than the final boss fight on extreme...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, that Naga fight would be much better balanced if Extreme gave you even a second hit. They wouldn't even need to fill up the second health container to start, considering they leave all the health pickups.

I'm also a little annoyed that the Pro-Bending mode has Korra being knocked off mean an auto-loss. I sort of understand not wanting to make the player watch the AI for possible a full round, but considering the animations are identical, why not switch control to Mako or Bolin when that happens?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, that Naga fight would be much better balanced if Extreme gave you even a second hit.

That's essentially what the waterbending shield is for. If you're getting hit by the attacks, you just need to spend a couple rounds watching the cues to learn which ones are which, and it probably won't be an issue after that. My problem was always getting twitchy during the rock sections and jumping to try and avoid the tall pillars before hoping I could move to the side before I smacked one.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Does this game have any way to extend your health bar like in other Platinum games? I'm assuming not since it's so short, but it feels so weird never improving my health.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

AccountingNightmare posted:

Does this game have any way to extend your health bar like in other Platinum games? I'm assuming not since it's so short, but it feels so weird never improving my health.

If you pay attention to the messages when you get them, some of the bending style level ups give you health increases.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

wateyad posted:

If you pay attention to the messages when you get them, some of the bending style level ups give you health increases.

There's also a talisman that doubles your health but halves your attack power, but I dunno if it's ever worth using. Health is never really that big a concern unless you've got like one or two of the HP-halving talismans on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

wateyad posted:

I thought they only restored your HP? The size of the health bar never changes.

Emong
May 31, 2011

notZaar posted:

I thought they only restored your HP? The size of the health bar never changes.

Not every level does it, but by the time you max them all out you should have about twice as much HP as before.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

Fano posted:

The double damage talisman work during the last Naga section and will allow you to destroy the tanks before they start changing up their behaviour, which is the point i would normally pretty much always die at.

I really enjoy the combat in this game, so after finishing on extreme i decided to pick up Metal Gear Rising and holy poo poo this is awesome go play this after you're done with Korra you guys.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

wateyad posted:

Emong posted:

Not every level does it, but by the time you max them all out you should have about twice as much HP as before.

Well poo poo, I just assumed they all only refill my health. Thank you! Good to know.

Emong
May 31, 2011

It seems weird to me that you can't unlock Korra's Pro-Bending outfit for normal gameplay. You even fight in it for a bit if you play Chapter 7 in the default costume.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Emong posted:

It seems weird to me that you can't unlock Korra's Pro-Bending outfit for normal gameplay. You even fight in it for a bit if you play Chapter 7 in the default costume.

I was hoping there'd be one too (like for beating Pro-Bending on Ace), but alas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

There's also a talisman that doubles your health but halves your attack power, but I dunno if it's ever worth using. Health is never really that big a concern unless you've got like one or two of the HP-halving talismans on.

They pretty much admit that one's mostly for racking up high combo scores when you've maxed all 4 styles.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

They pretty much admit that one's mostly for racking up high combo scores when you've maxed all 4 styles.

How much is the weight for combos with your medal scores? Because I get silver medals for finishing battles in like two seconds sometimes.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

morallyobjected posted:

How much is the weight for combos with your medal scores? Because I get silver medals for finishing battles in like two seconds sometimes.

There is a minimum combo score for platinum/PP

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHNQYuoCp9Q

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, Extreme done. I'm never platinuming the game, so I'll live with my gold, but what the hell is that fifth vanity item on the second row? It's the only one I need.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

OK, Extreme done. I'm never platinuming the game, so I'll live with my gold, but what the hell is that fifth vanity item on the second row? It's the only one I need.

Any particular reason? I mean I'm not a platinum trophy obsessive person, but I'm pretty sure the only ones I have left are all vanity items, bending 200 spirits, and going into avatar state 10 times, and those seem ridiculously easy to get in the course of normal gameplay. If there were one for getting all Pure Platinum medals or something, I definitely never would, since I haven't even gotten one. Fifth item is Avatar Wan's Teapot an airbender glider (sorry, misread rows and columns and poo poo). The fifth item of the fourth row is the one I don't have, so I am guessing I'll get it via random chest at some point. I think I had success in the Spirit World with that. Is the fourth one S or SS?

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 30, 2014

Emong
May 31, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

The fifth item of the fourth row is the one I don't have, so I am guessing I'll get it via random chest at some point. I think I had success in the Spirit World with that. Is the fourth one S or SS?

That's an S rank. The teapot's the only SS rank item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it just me or is the last boss in this game harder on normal than Armstrong was on hard? :pwn:

What are you supposed to do about his lighting-grab-kick combo? I swear it has no tell and comes out faster than any Platinum boss move I've ever seen before.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread