Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can absolutely feel the kind of chimera Platinum has put together in Korra. The block/dodge-as-attack mechanics from MGR, Korra's flips are straight out of Bayonetta, and the firebending jets feel a lot like boosting in Vanquish. Plus (final boss spoiler) dudes are pretty much a copy-paste of Armstrong, mechanics wise, with the elemental barrier in place of Zandatsu-ing the neck.

Final boss not-spoiler: I'm getting my rear end kicked. :(

Speaking of:

AccountingNightmare posted:

The game also has one of the coolest super modes I've ever seen. Goddrat. :stare:

Not sure this should be a spoiler, considering it's a part of the property that appeared in the very first episode of Last Airbender. But goddamn, YES. The Avatar State feels exactly as powerful as it should. The whole point is if Aang or Korra or whoever is using it, the fight is already over, because a fight requires the other party to have a chance of victory.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus airbending has the air scooter, AKA Aang's greatest invention.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, you get the styles back in the order that an Avatar in Korra's position in the cycle would learn them. It also makes some mechanical sense. You get waterbending as a means to keep distance, as multiple opponents are hard early on. Then earthbending for single-target burst damage against big targets. Then fire and air for crowd control.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Emong posted:

Counter the car it throws at you. It's not really needed or anything, it's just funny to watch Korra launch a car at a robot.

Carbending. A very specific offshoot of metalbending.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, that Naga fight would be much better balanced if Extreme gave you even a second hit. They wouldn't even need to fill up the second health container to start, considering they leave all the health pickups.

I'm also a little annoyed that the Pro-Bending mode has Korra being knocked off mean an auto-loss. I sort of understand not wanting to make the player watch the AI for possible a full round, but considering the animations are identical, why not switch control to Mako or Bolin when that happens?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

There's also a talisman that doubles your health but halves your attack power, but I dunno if it's ever worth using. Health is never really that big a concern unless you've got like one or two of the HP-halving talismans on.

They pretty much admit that one's mostly for racking up high combo scores when you've maxed all 4 styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, Extreme done. I'm never platinuming the game, so I'll live with my gold, but what the hell is that fifth vanity item on the second row? It's the only one I need.

• Locked thread