Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all 4 elements and beat the living daylights out of that guy, holy poo poo did you see that?

Developed by Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) and written by Tim Hedrick with Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino (writers and creators of the television series), The Legend of Korra is a stylish character action/beat 'em up game coming out on October 21st for PS3, PS4, and Steam, and the 22nd for 360 and Xbone. Taking place between seasons 2 and 3 of the series, it follows Avatar Korra as she fights a new villain who uses a chi-blocking technique to steal away her bending abilities, forcing her to re-learn them over the course of the game, and attempts stop a re-awakened ancient spiritual evil.

VIDEOS

First gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Post-game Pro Bending Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDELmii7KCk

Maximilian Dood's impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPwLCg3MTE

It's expected to be priced at US$14.99 and the first playthrough is expected to be at about 5-6 hours (with unlocked New Game+, new difficulty modes, and Pro Bending Circuit) so don't expect as much value as Bayonetta 2, but if you want to punch rocks and shoot fire at dudes using kung-fu, and you know that you want Platinum games pumped directly into your veins, then it should shape up to be a fun experience.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

alcharagia posted:

I've never watched Korra but Platinum games own so I'm gonna get this.

I recommend it if you're willing to stomach awkward teenage drama to get to crazy spirit-kung-fu action.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Gort posted:

I have high hopes that I will be able to punch the head off a giant platinum mech.

I'm at least one of the preview videos, she uses fire bending to shoot jets out of her feet and throw waves of fire to melt the face off of a giant Victorian-futurist mech suit. You can practically feel the Rules of Nature.

I have very high hopes.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

It's out on Steam and presumably PSN. Buying it now and will give my impressions when I get home.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Just so everyone knows: there's old-fashioned button-press codes that unlock 2 new costumes and 1 new item. The new item doubles your attacks, and is kind of over-powered.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

The combat is fun and simple, and the game has more than enough Platinum moments (and way more fist pummelings than you could wish for). The game definitely could have done without the Naga sections, but otherwise I give the game 4 angry conjoined twins out of 5.

Also, did anyone find the subtitles? I couldn't find them for the life of me.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, I was liking the game up until these dumb robot fights. They are SO BAD. Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but even with health items I can barely survive long enough to beat them. It's really frustrating having to fight these things.

They were a pain for me right up until the point when I figured out what the point of charging was. If you charge up an attack with triangle/y and then dodge without firing the attack off, it'll charge your chi and all of your attacks will do more damage until it winds down, which helps immensely against the robots. Also, you have to learn when to parry and when to dodge, if you stick close to it and use earthbending, it'll use parryable attacks more often.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Peewi posted:

You don't have to dodge, it does the same thing if you just do the charged attack.

Yeah but it's quicker if you dodge, especially with earth. I think you can block as well.

• Locked thread