Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I play with rumble turned off, but I swear I read something once that said there are rumble queues that help you combo better. I can't find my source now. Am I crazy or are rumble queues really a thing? (Talking about Bayo 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I play with rumble turned off, but I swear I read something once that said there are rumble queues that help you combo better. I can't find my source now. Am I crazy or are rumble queues really a thing? (Talking about Bayo 1)

Not that I know of. I don't even know how they would help, seeing as there aren't a lot of combos that require specific timing, just one or two pause combos that only a few weapons have.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Honestly, I feel like Bayonetta 2 is much harder than 1. It seems easier on the surface because it doesn't sucker punch you with insta-death QTEs and there's no wall early in the game like Grace and Glory, but the high-end enemies and most of the humanoid bosses are much stronger than what Bayo 1 throws at you.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Honestly, I feel like Bayonetta 2 is much harder than 1. It seems easier on the surface because it doesn't sucker punch you with insta-death QTEs and there's no wall early in the game like Grace and Glory, but the high-end enemies and most of the humanoid bosses are much stronger than what Bayo 1 throws at you.

Some people say it starts easier than 1 but then gets harder than it by the end. I can kind of see that, but the difficulty curve is so smooth I didn't really notice. Bayonetta 2 is just a very well made game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Some people say it starts easier than 1 but then gets harder than it by the end. I can kind of see that, but the difficulty curve is so smooth I didn't really notice. Bayonetta 2 is just a very well made game.

I agree with you on that; the only thing I don't like in Bayonetta 2 as compared to 1 is that 1 made it very clear that the stakes were getting higher and got crazier and crazier the closer you got to the end, like blowing up buildings, fighting on a missile, riding a motorcycle up on a rocketship accelerating into space, and killing God. When I was playing 2, I was feeling somewhat unsure if I was getting close to the end, but then again, Bayonetta 2 is crazy right from the start and maintains it all the way to the end.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I really didn't think Bayo 2 was that hard at all save for Witch Trials 5 and Rodin and I got Platinum on everything

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

absolutely anything posted:

I really didn't think Bayo 2 was that hard at all save for Witch Trials 5 and Rodin and I got Platinum on everything

Yeah, pretty much. I've been playing these games since 13 and the only one I've come across that I'd call hard is Vanilla DMC3 when I was like 13.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 27, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The Prophet fights are awfully hard for me. For some reason I just cannot react to him fast enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Once you get used to how Sloths have a lot of fake-outs or double-takes, they're pretty easy even on 3rd Climax. The biggest issue, at least for me, was just the Lumen Sage and the final boss because of how relentless they were, but they're still pretty easy if you grab the shield accessory.

I remember what was destroying me against Sloths was I think their counter move? It seemed like they had a move that would lead to a guaranteed counter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

I am not looking forward to Pure Platinuming every stage in 3rd Climax, I hate fighting Sloths. I just Kafka'd them but that's not going to cut it going for Platinum rank.

Is there any trick to using Kafka efficiently or is it really just keep hammering the button until you can Umbra Climax them?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Darth TNT posted:

Is there any trick to using Kafka efficiently or is it really just keep hammering the button until you can Umbra Climax them?

All the pause combos let you dodge backwards. So you can keep hammering the button. And all of the launchers or other combos you can buy at the store are traditional attacks that push enemies back or launch them into the air. So you can keep hammering the button. It also cancels out a lot of your momentum in midair. So you can keep hammering the button, but in midair.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
8bit Bayonetta.

More Bayonetta content?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The weird part was how much better I got at the game as time went on.

Like the last five chapters have me consistently hitting gold rank on the first run through.

It was a tonne of fun to play, but I can't see myself coming back and replaying, if only because of how much it makes my hand hurt.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Like the last five chapters have me consistently hitting gold rank on the first run through.

It was a tonne of fun to play, but I can't see myself coming back and replaying, if only because of how much it makes my hand hurt.

The last five chapters were mostly the time travel ones right? I found I started to consistently get platinums just because the Bayo 1 enemies felt so much easier to handle.

Last boss though did not go well for me. I really don't know how to handle flying fights.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is basically how it's supposed to go. My fist bayo 2 playthrough was on second climax and I was consistently getting stone awards up until exactly when I purchased the bat within, golds runnin wild after that. I think at the time I was so used to MGR's hard mode prefect party window it screwed me for Bayonetta's :frogbon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

beep by grandpa posted:

This is basically how it's supposed to go. My fist bayo 2 playthrough was on second climax and I was consistently getting stone awards up until exactly when I purchased the bat within, golds runnin wild after that. I think at the time I was so used to MGR's hard mode prefect party window it screwed me for Bayonetta's :frogbon:

That was it, I saw bat within and went, "Okay, this doesn't seem very good, it just reduces damage and I can pound lollipops to deal with that."

Then I eventually got it and realised it gave you witch time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Golden Goat posted:

The last five chapters were mostly the time travel ones right? I found I started to consistently get platinums just because the Bayo 1 enemies felt so much easier to handle.

Last boss though did not go well for me. I really don't know how to handle flying fights.

I sympathize. I'm at least passable to get through with a pile of mostly silvers and saying "How the gently caress did I get that pure plat?" at times, but all the floating around fights just take away what little skill I have.

A good percentage of Bayo 2 was demonstrating that my ability to dodge is inversely proportional to how much health I have left. Right, one more hit from a stiff breeze will kill me. Time to reduce this (normal difficulty) flower bitch to paste now that I've gotten all that incompetence temporarily beaten out of me.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I bought myself a Wii U and Bayonetta 2 a few days ago and I have to say I am hugely enjoying this, I loved the first Bayonetta and this sequel is fantastic. It does somewhat feel that I've only got my Wii U to play Bayonetta 2 and for now I'm okay with this!

What I'm wondering about though is what weapon combinations do people like using?
I've been mostly using Love Is blue on hands and the Whip on my feet (these have been helping me learn how to dodge offset which I could never get the hang of before) and my other set is 4 Chainsaws, because I love the idea of this :v:. Are there any recommended weapon combinations for damage or combos?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I switch between Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair. Yes, seriously. Other weapons may be more effective but the guns have style.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'm incredibly unoriginal and I tend to like sticking with the default stuff, so I use Love is Blue on hands and Scarborough Fair on feet (because I love the Bayo 1 PPPKKK combo too much, even if it's not as effetive in this game).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My A set is Chernobog on the hands and Alruna on the feet, and my B set is Salamandra on the hands and the Chain Chomp on the feet.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The samurai sword from the first game is unlockable, and it's still the best overall melee weapon.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thanks chaps! I'll have to give some of those a go. I do really love the whip though, anything that can grab in some way is always my favourite in action games.

I still find Dodge Offset surprisingly difficult to do (as I never did it in Bayonetta 1 but still seemed to do well enough in that game) but it seems it's much more needed in Bayonetta 2, I find it especially difficult with faster weapons such as the dual swords.

E: How do you get the Chain Chomp? I don't seem to have that.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RoboJoe posted:

Thanks chaps! I'll have to give some of those a go. I do really love the whip though, anything that can grab in some way is always my favourite in action games.

I still find Dodge Offset surprisingly difficult to do (as I never did it in Bayonetta 1 but still seemed to do well enough in that game) but it seems it's much more needed in Bayonetta 2, I find it especially difficult with faster weapons such as the dual swords.

E: How do you get the Chain Chomp? I don't seem to have that.

Beat the game on 3rd Climax in its entirety, including I think the prologue, but not the weird survival missions you unlock after beating the game. 3rd Climax isn't particularly difficult, especially if you've beaten the game already so you'll be able to beat it in about four hours or so.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RoboJoe posted:

I bought myself a Wii U and Bayonetta 2 a few days ago and I have to say I am hugely enjoying this, I loved the first Bayonetta and this sequel is fantastic. It does somewhat feel that I've only got my Wii U to play Bayonetta 2 and for now I'm okay with this!

What I'm wondering about though is what weapon combinations do people like using?
I've been mostly using Love Is blue on hands and the Whip on my feet (these have been helping me learn how to dodge offset which I could never get the hang of before) and my other set is 4 Chainsaws, because I love the idea of this :v:. Are there any recommended weapon combinations for damage or combos?

First time playing I originally used the swords on hands and feet with guns (love is blue) as back up. I later on switched to swords and whips with chainsaws on hands and feet for the bosses. Replaying the game I've played a long stretch using the bow and whips (works great if you want to play keep away) and the guns (love is blue) as back up. After I unlocked the Shuraba I have been unable to use anything else in my hands, feet tend to change. That sword is just too good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I initially didn't like the hammer, but it becomes pretty satisfying to use once you get the hang of it, and it pairs really well with whips on the feet. I like the various guns or the swords on the hands with chainsaws on the feet for the other set. Feet chainsaws have the cool running animation and are cooler than hand chainsaws since hand chainsaw combos are kind of boring, in my opinion. The scythe is also kind of boring.

I still miss the first game's shotguns, though.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The hammer's pretty overpowering when you find out you can use dodge offset to maintain a charge attack on it. It's really fun in multiplayer too, where you can get your buddy to maintain mutual focus on the enemies while you get ready. I use the Hammer and the Chain Chomp as my A, and it's a great combo. The only issue is that the Chain Chomp barks constantly, and you can't have fun irritating people in co-op because it doesn't bark at all there for some reason.

chumbler posted:

I still miss the first game's shotguns, though.

You can kind of get shotguns by playing as Rosa, if you can deal with the decreased defense.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I just can't really use the chainsaws, it's sad, but that lack of any wicked weaves makes them way less fun to me. I also find the bow sort of boring, and I don't really want to use the sword from the last game when this game has its own swords.

Rest of the weapons are great, but I still miss rocket launchers.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
katana/chainsaws a, whip/chain chomp b. It's The Way To Play

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Trick Question posted:

I just can't really use the chainsaws, it's sad, but that lack of any wicked weaves makes them way less fun to me. I also find the bow sort of boring, and I don't really want to use the sword from the last game when this game has its own swords.

Rest of the weapons are great, but I still miss rocket launchers.

The chainsaws for me became a go to weapon when I learned about the glow charge damage boost.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The chainsaws are great because they have a good weight to them, in the sense of like the slowdown on their slashes when you hit an enemy. Hammer and whips are the same in that their hits feel powerful. The bow, scythe, and maces I think fall short because they lack that feeling of impact. The bow barely feels better than the regular plinky guns and charge shot even if it is pretty strong with just a partial charge. The scythe is cool until you get the hammer, then it's more just a combo extender. The maces are slow and the flamethrowers hurt, but the individual hits don't feel much better than punches.

That's about the most criticism I can come up with for the weapons. They're still distinct and fun enough that I will pull them out in whatever combinations from time to time including the ones I like less, though.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
What does the red skull mean in the results screen?

A lot of times I'll blitz through a stage only to get that skull slapped on my score for reasons I can't puzzle out.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Heavy Sigh posted:

A lot of times I'll blitz through a stage only to get that skull slapped on my score for reasons I can't puzzle out.

Death or item usage.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Heavy Sigh posted:

In Bayonetta 1, it's for dying or using an item. In Bayonetta 2, it's just for dying. In both games, a red skull reduces your score.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

It means you died at some point during the level. Dying multiple times will add more skulls and tank your rating even more. In Bayo 1 using items would also give you skulls, but they got rid of that in the sequel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been replaying Bayonetta 2 to finally finish, even if with entirely stone rankings, infinite climax, and I still cannot get any mileage out of undine. Has anyone gotten results out of it? I feel like there's something about them I'm missing. Should I just skip using the flame/icethrower followup until the weave portion hits?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think most people have agreed that undine is just Bad unfortunately. thankfully every other weapon is really good

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Depending on which bit of the results screen you see it on, it can also mean your time and/or combo score or medal isn't as good as the run you have saved.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

chumbler posted:

I've been replaying Bayonetta 2 to finally finish, even if with entirely stone rankings, infinite climax, and I still cannot get any mileage out of undine. Has anyone gotten results out of it? I feel like there's something about them I'm missing. Should I just skip using the flame/icethrower followup until the weave portion hits?

My friend swears by it, and he says that the best modes for it are the fire ones, and that you should only bother with them attached to your legs--the arm variants aren't as great and should be used with something else. Also that dodge offset on the ground and launcher moves and air juggling is your friend, but that's true with every weapon. But when we play Tag Climax, he usually has the lowest score by a long shot whenever he uses it, regardless of what combo I'm using.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any utility for it. However, when I used it, I always had it as my secondary combo and switched to it for my Umbran Climax, because contrastingly their weaves are really damaging and have pretty decent range compared to the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Theta Zero posted:

In Bayonetta 1, it's for dying or using an item. In Bayonetta 2, it's just for dying. In both games, a red skull reduces your score.

Yeah I believe each skull represents exactly 1 rank worth of demerits. So a Gold run with 1 skull would be knocked down to silver, for example.

• Locked thread